• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Years
  • A good compromise for future games? Give us default trainers to use through the story, but let us customize an online avatar :D

I don't know if it'll happen, but that could be a nice substitute in future generations.

Yeah, I was pretty sure Character Customisation wasn't returning. What would be the point of changing the appearance of the two main protagonists of the games that have been remade from 10 years ago?

Yeah, there definitely would have been no point. The designs of those two are iconic and their outfits really capture the tropical nature of the Hoenn region in general. I was actually someone who knew customization wouldn't return ever since the speculation started, with that logic as a good reason to back me up.

And would I want customization to ruin Lucas/Dawn's image when Sinnoh remakes roll around? Or even Hilbert/Hilda's in a Unova remake? Nope, their designs are just perfect to me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I never really cared about the trainer customization. A couple hours in, I played with it for five minutes, found something I liked, and went with that. I've never touched it since. And, even then, I only did that because I could.

I can't say I miss that it's not coming back in this. Do I expect it to return in future non-remake games? Totally. Would I care if it didn't? Not really.

Years
  • I would have been satisfied with earning costumes from earning contest ribbons for which ever category.

There is a way to maintain the iconic characters with alterations to clothing, especially if it ties into the gameplay of "adventure" as Masuda notes.

I will honestly be upset if the next main series games don't have customizations. Though, I understand in-part why customization isn't in ORAS, Masuda's explanation is completely bull, stating that a feature is only included if it relates to a specific motif.

If that's the case, I am hoping that all of the regions are based on beauty :/

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Yeah, I was pretty sure Character Customisation wasn't returning. What would be the point of changing the appearance of the two main protagonists of the games that have been remade from 10 years ago?
    Actually it's 12 years. I also thought the same, these are iconic characters. At the very least we got Contest costumes to use.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I would of liked at least the change of color of your clothes at least, be it red, green or blue to go with the gen 3 colors. Well I'm sure lot of trainers online will use the contest outfits if you can get them, hopefully we get all the costumes pikachu can wear.

Years
  • I would of liked at least the change of color of your clothes at least, be it red, green or blue to go with the gen 3 colors. Well I'm sure lot of trainers online will use the contest outfits if you can get them, hopefully we get all the costumes pikachu can wear.
    Hopefully we do get them for online battle. The return of NPC avatars make the games feel very Gen III as that's the way it was back then and onwards up until XY.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I'm kind of sceptic to ever see the customisation back. We got the pokemon that follow for gen 4 with HgSs but it never came back even with gen 5 and 6.

Years
  • I'm kind of sceptic to ever see the customisation back. We got the pokemon that follow for gen 4 with HgSs but it never came back even with gen 5 and 6.
    Chances are we'll get it back for Z/sequels/prequels/whatever the next Kalos follow up ends up being at least, and eventually XY remakes if they ever happen like 8-12 or so years from now.

Years
  • I'm a little sad that they are taking it away but it will be okay, I kinda figured since these were remakes there would be no customization anyways. I hope it will return for future games though. It's fun when you battle online and not everyone looks exactly the same.

Years
  • I'm a little sad that they are taking it away but it will be okay, I kinda figured since these were remakes there would be no customization anyways. I hope it will return for future games though. It's fun when you battle online and not everyone looks exactly the same.
    Perhaps GF will make it up by tripling the number of costumes in 'Z' :3.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Idk I feel like the trainer outfits in X and Y where just thrown in there at the last minute.

This reply may be off-topic...

But I agree with this. Character customisation can be greatly improved, such as using SpotPass to have limited edition outfits be put on sale in Boutique Couture. Outfits can also be split based on region (since the games are region locked anyway) and StreetPass can be used to share outfits of different regions (besides the current implementation which up till now, I have no clear idea of what StreetPass/SpotPass does in XY except advertising).

It felt like a half-baked effort and I feel that GF isn't even trying. Character customisation may be cool and all, but if GF does a cheesy one I'd rather they not add it in at all and focus on other content.

In the case of ORAS, I am totally fine with the lack of customisation. As long as the post-game is as good as described, I'm OK.

ChiKouu

Froslass Trainer
    Years
  • I seem to remember that it was confirmed in an interview somewhere that the customization was Kalos exclusive, but for the life of me I can't remember where. At least we'll definitely see it returning in the upcoming third game :/

And personally I'm completely fine with not having it in the remakes (apart from the eventual XY remake), but I really wanted it to be a returning feature.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    This really disappointed me, but at least it made it easier for me to wait to get Omega Ruby. (Due to monetary issues) So I'm thankful for that, I guess? Y will probably remain my main game due to this.

Even though the customization wasn't really all that good, I still loved it anyway. It made the trainer feel much more like myself rather than just this generic person who I happen to be controlling. France can't be the only place where people change clothes, can it? :P

Also, of course they have to remove it for my least favorite character designs in the series. (May and Brendon. I just dislike their designs. Have never been a fan of them.) But honestly, with all of the Wi-Fi battling going on, the 3D models, and the fan demand... I'm pretty sure it won't just be Kalos-exclusive. They'll probably bring it back for the next generation. It just makes sense in a game series like this, and it would be silly of them not to have it again.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm not really that disappointed since I'm fine with playing as May, but the hair design optons were fun in XY and I definitely think that this feature isn't one they should just leave in Kalos, they should definitely bring it back in a future game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2014
    I honestly expected them to leave this out since it is a remake and they wanted to bring back the original characters. Hopefully it'll be brought back in future games, though.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I'm disappointed, but not overly surprised.

I do hope they bring customization back in future generations though. I loved it in X/Y and it would be a shame if they never bring it back.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I don't like their excuse of giving each region its own identity with something like this. Why not vary the styles from one region to another? That would allow them to get away with both. Because having a sense of the protagonist being a reflection of yourself is GREAT in a game like Pokemon, where online play is heavy. When everyone just looks the same, it feels like they all ARE the same. Plus I don't like Brendan's design at all and May's bow is obnoxious... so there is that too, sadly.

It's my biggest letdown so far and I see it as a step back, but I pre-ordered Alpha Sapphire anyway. I'm disappointed in them for not keeping this feature in - if it doesn't return in Gen 7, then I guess I might have to wait for reviews before I buy.

Back