• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Misty ever a good battler in the show?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Upon rewatching the series, I've noticed Misty loses 90% of the battles she's in, and the times that she wins is only because Psyduck got a headache or she used Togepi.

Or she uses Ash/Brock's Pokemon (like in the princess day festival), or a wild Pokemon, (like the Golduck from Orange Islands) rather than her own.

Her team was ridiculously underdeveloped and none of them got much battle time at all.

I can only think of a handful of battles Misty won by skill, not because of Psyduck or some other cheapness.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • It was not that she was a horrible battler i just think the show intentional made her weak and under leveled because well here pokemon never really fought towards the end of jhoto Misty did improve because her pokemon got better she got politoed and and Corsola and just continually used them and then in the pokemon chronicals she became even stronger when she obtained her gyarados.
    So i do agree with you she was relatively crap, but towards the end she did improve

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • She didn't participate in many memorable matches while she was there in Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto. Sure there was the Princess vs. Princess, Poliwhirl Vs. Poliwrath, Whirl Cup, Cerulean Gym, Totodile, and probably a few other notables. Compared to Ash, I guess she didn't battle much but I think she battled more often than Brock battled.

A bunch of her wins were due to Psyduck, and Pokémon that weren't owned by her but I remember maybe one or two matches where she won by skill. Actually, outside of Team Rocket battles and a few that I listed up there, I don't remember a lot of her battles. Well, number of battles doesn't amount to the skill you have but I don't remember her battles much.

At best, she's mediocre.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    Misty did not participate in many matches at all sadly but I think its because the director at that time was too centered on Team Rocket to give anyone else focus. She needs to come back for a while now that a more unbiased director is at the helm and get focused on more. A sort of Pokemon Chronicles resurrection would be best but its clear that the staff sold their souls to Nintendo.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I think that it was intentional to make Misty weaker in the pokemon series, because she had 'pretty' pokemon, and they were most of the time beaten, but I think this is to show her character. :D

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Misty hasn't battled so much. She didn't presented completely her skill. Now it's too late. Anyway I think she's good battler.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I found her strat not to smart...but her skill a little better then ash was at the very begining.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i think that she battle enough for us to know...

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    It's hard to say because the way battles are now are completely different from what they were in Kanto and Johto. I wouldn't mind seeing Misty in a battle in the near future so we can accurately get a feel for how she battles in this new style.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    The new "style" is nothing but flash and over the top CG so its not hard to imagine at all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    The new "style" is nothing but flash and over the top CG so its not hard to imagine at all.

That's half of it, but now they are trying to bring out the whole "battle style" concept. First they had Ash learn about battle styles and thoughout his Sinnoh journey he has been trying to find his own (ex. Spinning, Ice-Aqua Jet, Counter-shield, etc...). Same goes for Paul as Reggie said he's been trying to find his own too. Ever since the beginning of Sinnoh they have been making different trainers "unique" in their style and we don't know what Misty's is for sure (although we can speculate.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2010
    Misty hasn't battled so much. She didn't presented completely her skill. Now it's too late. Anyway I think she's good battler.

You're absolutely right about Misty. I also think "she's a good battler" and wanna see Misty in Pokemon diamond/pearl. but she hasn't been announced as a returning character and that's only because she can't presente completely her skill. What the suck with her.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021

Maybe its time for you to do what I did a long time ago, quit watching the series. Don't focus on nor care about any new or upcoming episodes after the start of this one. I focus on the series as it existed before 2003 in Japan or 2004 in the US and don't regret it in the least.

So, how many episodes of DP have you actually watched to be able to say it's only about CGI? They don't even use CGI much in battles, only specific attacks like Swift (which look horrible now). Silver25 explained the rest.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Honestly, if you want my opinion, I kinda feel that there is not any sense of "skill" on the show, since most of the characters seem to win mostly by luck.

In order for true skill to exist, then they should win their battles the same way a computer does it.

So if I'm going to say Misty's mediocre, I might as well say ALL of the characters are, since let's face it, most if not all of the characters win by luck under the definition you guys are using.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    She had her moments, even though she wasn't gym leader worthy at the time. At least she can rightfully say that she was better at it than Brock. >A> I would've liked to have seen her battle more than she did, though. Ah well. Never happened.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    She had her moments, even though she wasn't gym leader worthy at the time. At least she can rightfully say that she was better at it than Brock. >A> I would've liked to have seen her battle more than she did, though. Ah well. Never happened.

Considering how Gym Leaders were treated as badly as Team Rocket in the sense that they lose to completely amateur pokemon, I'd probably say she's probably exceeded Gym Leader potential anyways. I still hate how they placed her as a Gym Leader, as it seemed to be an insult to her abilities knowing how most of them were treated.

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • I haven't seen a lot of the older eps, but I know she made it to the finals in the Whirl Cup... that takes some skill. And she did pretty well in her multiple matches with the 'Invincible Pokemon Brothers' towards Johto's end and in Pokemon Chronicles. Shes been back at the Gym since then, so she's presumably improved, and she now has a butt-kicking Gyarados.

It would be good if she returned into the new style of battling, but I seriously doubt it'd happen. She returned already in Hoenn and May returned in Sinnoh, so it'll probably be Dawn who returns in Isshu, not Misty, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I haven't seen a lot of the older eps, but I know she made it to the finals in the Whirl Cup... that takes some skill. And she did pretty well in her multiple matches with the 'Invincible Pokemon Brothers' towards Johto's end and in Pokemon Chronicles. Shes been back at the Gym since then, so she's presumably improved, and she now has a butt-kicking Gyarados.

It would be good if she returned into the new style of battling, but I seriously doubt it'd happen. She returned already in Hoenn and May returned in Sinnoh, so it'll probably be Dawn who returns in Isshu, not Misty, unfortunately.

That's even assuming that becoming a Gym Leader will actually make her stronger. I mean, considering how the Gym Leaders are treated (losing to completely amateur pokemon way too easily), I have doubts about her growing stronger. If anything, exposure to the gym will more likely than not make her more like JJM. Which is part of the reason why I hated the whole Gym aspect.

Back