• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watch Out For Ghosts... (Read first post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years

I think making Gyms multityped removes their charm, there are plenty of other trainers who use varied Pokémon teams, which makes Gym Leaders feel like special experts of their types, otherwise they'll just be an ordinary trainer who is just that bit stronger.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years

Well, there are only so many types, and Game Freak tends to put the same kinds of personalities behind Gym Leaders nowadays. I think having personalized strategies or arena challenges will help them come up with more intriguing minds behind them. Not to say they don't get a little creative here and there, which makes some leaders stick out more than others, but I feel like Monotyped is just not all that exciting anymore. Like why stick to one type when even the most basic trainer will tell you not to do that ever?

However, if they were to do what Bardo said, and mix up the strategies, perhaps that'd be a good idea if they wanted to stick with one type. But I feel like some do that already and it's not helping. Or, ramp up how involved the Gym Leaders are in the story. Like in Unova and Kalos some of the leaders have small involvement in the storyline, which I think is phenomenal. It makes them active members of the world.

But I think there's so much more opportunity to grow! Like, underwater battles where some moves don't work at all. Wild Card Pokemon snuck into teams that demolish types effective on the rest of the Pokemon in the team.​

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

I do like the ideas here right now but I still like the monotyped gym idea. Same with the fire/water/grass starters, it doesn't feel right to break tradition. 'w'

Also on the topic of nuzlockes, I think I've said it here but there's a red randomizer website that you can get any generation Pokemon in. I have a randomized nuzlocke team right now of Axew, Nosepass, Mightyena, Blastoise, Zekrom, and Floette. 'w'

this darn site erased what I was gunna say

Lycanthropy

Years
    33 34

I think it's impossible to build a team based on a certain move in the earlier Gyms as those can be pretty strong and not ones learned at low levels. Support Pokémon are a lot harder to use in a Gym than in competitive battles, because you know which Pokémon will be the first and you can switch out after beating one for free to get rid of status effects.
    It's not like wildcard Pokémon aren't used. Look at DP's Candice or Flint, their teams are full of wildcard Pokémon.
    Restrictions might actually work or other types of battles may actually work. Tate and Liza showed up as the first (and currently only) double battle Gym Leaders. There might be an appearance of an inverse battling Gym Leader in the next generation, that would be cool.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Well, some of the gyms do a better job at utilizing the TM that they give you once you beat 'em. I mean, still monotype yeah, but it does create a... little more variety depending on the TM?

Idk you guys say something like gym revolving around a stragety like trick room andmy first thought went straight to the last gym Ash faced because anime nut over here.

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years

I can't say squat about the anime, since I don't watch it, but I would love to see Gyms based around stats rather than types. That would make gyms a lot more interesting, and might even give a use to the stat boosts and ev training inside the game. As it stands, if you ev train a Pokémon in-game, it becomes super OP, my Jolteon nearly soloing the E4 in Y.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

The problem with that though would end up being lack of variety. There aren't even eight different stats in the game so while each stat gym will have different Pokemon I feel as if it'll get even more repeatitive than the monotype gyms. Because at least there is a chance for variety in those (though despite that we still haven't gotten a dark type gym but like four grass types gyms and such hahah).

Lycanthropy

Years

I don't bother about EVs during the playthrough, but maybe I should. Pokémon tend to get anti-EV-trained automatically. You use a Pokémon with high attack preferably on a Pokémon with low defense and a higher special defense. In general, special defense and special attack coincide, giving the EVs you don't want.

Years

I'm with DyingWillFlareon. Breaking the trend of type specialty Gyms or Grass/Fire/Water starters would just be wrong. I know some want change but sometimes there's traditions that must stay.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Blue/Gary and Cynthia also mixed it up haha. But yeah idk. I mean I personally just like the whole monotype deal for the gym leaders. And I mean you don't have to build your team around having the type advantage if you want it more difficult. That's the glory of Pokemon. Sooo many options you can take for your game.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

*scoffs* Well then, I never....
    *flips feathered pink boa behind back and struts away*

Anyhow... I actually did end up submitting the club I was talking about last week if anyone rememebrs. @w@

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years

woo go Flareon can't wait to have crazy parties in da club

Maybe I'm just venting the fact I would totally love to have gym challenges be more like Frontier challenges, because honestly, walking through a region that tests your abilities like frontier brains would be totally awesome.

And they could have monotype gyms you could challenge too, I think, but make it cling a little bit more to the word "gym." Like, a place where you can go and learn more about how to actually handle Pokemon of a certain type well and cover its weaknesses.​

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I feel like people would get more annoying by that than anything because you wouldn't be able to team build the way you want :b

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

I really hate challenging video games. I mean, I love challenges and video games, and I never refuse a good nuzlocke, but I can't level geind worth crud. I mean I can, but it always makes me leave the game for hors or days or even weeks when I have to. So a Battle Frontier like region would probably make me never finish it.... But I do like the puzzles in gyms stuff. Petalburg feels so customizable since you can chpose which Route; Attack based or Defense? What best suits your current team?

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years

Haha, same, I'm really keen on getting all the gym trainers for experience before heading off to the final battle. My Pokemon are usually overpowered for the stage I'm at in the game anyway.​

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

If you mean like... rematches. But I don't see why that would make sense otherwise aha.

I'm considering during a randomized nuzlocke just to see how far I'll get before I cry hmmm...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back