• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watch Out For Ghosts... (Read first post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

What sort of challenges have people finished or tried before? I remember that I'd once challenged myself to walk through Pokemon Tower without chickening out but by the time I'd run into the third ghost, I ran straight out and went 'NOPENOPENOPE' and never returned. ... I think I did well.

Nuzlockes are super fun though I get too attached to pokemon to stop using them. 'omg that was hax' I say as Rattata dies for the millionth time. oops :(

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years

I've only done a few soloruns, which help to quickly clear the game and claim all the items in other files, and some random seasonal event challenges.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I've done some event challenges that were in the challenge forum, a Ferret solorun, a water monorun, about two nuzlockes, aaand i'm currently doing a bug mono on Alpha Sapphire anda Random Pokemon Challenge on my Y. :'D

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    bo0!

I've managed to play Pearl 20+ times so far and have yet to get bored of the story so that's a good indication of how fun challenges can be haha. My favourites are solo runs and Nuzlockes, but I always feel bad saying goodbye to the 'dead' Pokémon in Nuzlockes so I edit the rules slightly and keep them in boxes ♥

Lycanthropy

Years
    17 1 And Squirrel returns by immediately ninja'ing me.

Not really, it isn't like there's that much story in a Pokémon game, certainly not if you compare it to Final Fantasy for example. I can't play a game like that twice, because I know the way through dungeons and the whole story.

Years

That's cool. I dont think I could replay it just off the bat. Especially not 20 times lmao.
    I am the hero adventurer first,everything else second. Therefore I really squeeze out everything the story has to offer, and replaying just isnt as enjoying tbh lol.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years

Yyyyyup, what sven said^

Also I forgot Jirachi one of the best Star pokemon. And so did everyone else D:

But I do love challenges. :0 I love the Random Pokemon Challenge, currently got a team of Bibarel, Staraptor, Steelix, Rapidash, Mothim, and Weavile in Platinum. :D The Mega Evo is pretty nice too, and so is The Ones That Got Away.
    But very little can beat the feel of a nuzlocke~ Me and a friend started a randomized nuzlocke through FireRed together, and I lost Latias and my starter Combuskin(was a Torchic). ;w;

Speaking of nuzlockes, what's the worst way to lost a buddy in one? My answer is LOSING THE SAME POKEMON IN THE SAME WAY.
    My Combuskin I was talking about got hit by a Confusion from a Metagross and got confused, then hurt himself in the same turn and died. That happened on my firat emerald nuzlocke with my other starter Combuskin, although he died against Maxie on Mt Chimney. I flipping hate this. ;A;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

With Pokemon I like training new Pokemon or using some Pokemon with other Pokemon that I haven't used them with yet. I can do this competitively but I suck at that and challenging the gyms is always fun to do. After a point with a lot of the gamesI actually stop paying attention to the plot and just plow through it hahaha.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023

I think the difference is that I kind of just ignore the story and focus on training/catching Pokémon and beating the challenges (gym leaders etc), I just spam A on the stories to try and get through them as quickly as possible :D Sven tries to be the hero each time, I just let the world burn ;)

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    But but but don't you guys like stories? ;A; The main thing I loved about Gen V was the huge storyline to follow. XD Even though in White I was severly undertrained because I wanted the story to progress without grinding lol.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

Up until the third gym, most pokemon games are kinda zz at the start but get more interesting later on. Also welp, I don't even know how to underlevel. What levels were your pokemon throughout the game?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023

@Flare I do like stories but I also find them very easy to ignore once you've completed them! That's something I like about the Pokémon games, the stories can either be very immersive or really ignorable based on how much attention you pay them. One play through you could be setting out to destroy the evil Team Rocket and destroy the world, the next play through you could be training your favourite team and randomly killing these guys that keep challenging you - it's really easy to ignore the story if you want to but it doesn't ruin the story for when you actually want to play it haha.

Lycanthropy

Years

Up until the third gym, most pokemon games are kinda zz at the start but get more interesting later on. Also welp, I don't even know how to underlevel. What levels were your pokemon throughout the game?

I agree completely how hard it is to get an underlevelled team, you really need to skip parts of the game, like not going to Pacifidlog in Hoenn, but instead directly heading to the Victory Road, but even then you catch up quickly.

Also, check out Pokémon Choice Quest, a new game here!

Last edited by a moderator:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    10. I will definately be checking that game out!

@Aslan Ehh about 5-7 levels under is what my team usually is when I skip training. XD Grinding just isn't that fun to me lol I have 3 of Kanto's badges in SoulSilver and level 46s for a more recent example. XD

@Squirrel I think I see what you're saying, and if it is what I think then I agree. XD I do love the storyline for maybe three palythroughs then by the fourth I'm done but still have to make up stories for each character. In my little group of friends everyone thinks I'm weird for making up personalities for my teammates and character in every game, but I call it over imagination~ XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

lmao up until sixth gen i was always underleveled for the elite four because i hate grinding and loved avoiding wild Pokemon 8)

and speaking of 'stories and characters' i love doing character runs by naming myself after a character and then having Pokemon they would have if they were in the Pokemon world. So much fun. ♥

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

Being underleveled by 1-5 levels doesn't change too much but I started up B2 the other day only to rematch the Elite Four and realise my pokemon were about ten levels lower. Needless to say, I was out of revives by the time I reached Iris. :(

I love doing those as well! I did a playthrough of HG using Gold's team from Pokespe once. I wasn't expecting his team to be that strong but I found some new favourites through using Togekiss, Sudowoodo and the like. Maybe I should try one for the other Johto dex holders next!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

10 or so levels under actually sounds like the norm to be in the past gens cry.

Oooo that one sounds like it was a blast! PokeSpe wise I partially completed one with Red's team and one with Ash's Unova team but didn't complete either. Red's because I was lazy and Ash's because.... I was lazy. Though for the latter it was because I found it too troublesome to actually train up nine Pokemon because I was trying to replicate him. Managed to get to my least favorite place in Unova before I went "...nah".

I do plan on doing his Hoenn team eventually! Probably when I finally start watching Pokemon again and get to Advanced Generation. And then when XY finishes I definitely want to see about doing an XY team run.

Years

I usually go with very underleveled cos Im lazy like all the posters above but I rarely grind and just find a way to beat them all.
    One time I wasnt underleveled.
    Soulsilver >:)

Oh what was that Red? You dont like my...legitely trained Level 99 Arcanine?

Too bad, you probably wont like my Arcanine gaining it's last level on your Venosaur and your defeat either lmao!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back