• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Five: I Hate That Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
10 weeks of anime: week four
I Hate That Guy
o(-`д´- 。)

Welcome to week five! Hopefully this week is as successful as the last! :D

Has there ever been an anime you really enjoyed, but a certain character almost ruined it completely for you? A character that you disliked with such ferocity that you seriously considered dropping? How about a similar scenario: you hated a character so much that you DID drop? Or what about this: a character that seemingly everyone else hates, but you really, really like?

What kinds of characters can you absolutely not stand? Feel free to give stereotypes or tropes as examples!

I can't think of a character I couldn't stand, other than your typical Mary Sue, but everyone else seems to hate Orihara Izaya, and I love him ;3;

Discuss!

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
everyone else seems to hate Orihara Izaya

I really don't understand why people dislike Iza-kyun. He's so cute and cuddly and I just want to hug him.

The one character I really didn't like was Himiko, from Btooom!. Even though she was the main heroine, there were just so many reasons why I didn't like her.

BTOOOM-Himiko.png

Now, the protagonist, Ryouta, is one of the best guys you'll ever meet. It feels like he's really out of place next to Btooom!'s lacking main heroine and rushed storyline.

His presence just makes it even more painfully obvious the flaws of Himiko's character.

She's opportunistic, stubborn, and has a superiority complex. Even though she was married to the guy, she couldn't tell him that she liked him. Her only escape from a dire situation was to attempt suicide.

It was like the writers tried to uber-amplify all possible tsuntsun feminine traits and compile them into one character.

I can't really say much else, since it's been almost three years, but that's what I remember.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Well, the dropping is not something I do so I have to be excluded from this part of question but here are some examples.

First example has to be FMA and Shou Tucker. That guy is one of few character I REALLY despise and since I really loved FMA, this guy really falls into this category.

Kazumi Yoshida - Shakugan no Shana - OMFG I hate this creepy stalker, Shana is flat => she's better, accept it.

Kuradeel and especially everyone's beloved Nobuyuki Sugou - SAO - These guys deserve a punch to face, sword to abdomen and anything Kirito-kun could do.

Manami Tamura - Oreimo - Freakin' biiiiiitch, Kirino should have slapped her whenever she had a chance

Mika Shimotsuki - Psycho Pass 2 - PP2 was a huge letdown compared to the first season but adding her was the second worst decision (with first being omitting Urobtucher from writing)

Near - Death Note. I think I'm not the only one who says that this guy destroyed DN. The second part was nearly unwatchable because of him

Shirley - Code Geass, Code Geass is one of my most loved anime and I can't find anything bad on it but she was pain in the butt everytime she was on screen.

Um... as I see, my most hated archetype is overly attached main girl =D

Oh and here's one special mention.
Koichi Shido from High School of The Dead.
Those who have seen the anime... will surely understand.

Makoto Itou
+1
Since we're on School Days, Kotonoha. Simply Kotonoha, I seriously wanted to punch her to face. Definitely the worst girl.

Years
I hate characters who are bad just for the sake of being bad. They are (or just feel for me) evil, without having the need to be evil. The characters I'm talking about are Koichi Shido(Highschool of the Dead) and Sugou Nobuyuki(Sword Art Online). They felt really cheap and edgy.

Yukiteru Amano(From Mirai Nikki) was stupid. They tried to do Shinji Ikari, but it just didn't end up well.

Might as well throw in Makoto Itou

"a character that seemingly everyone else hates, but you really, really like?"

A lot of people people hate on Shinji Ikari(Neon Genesis Evangelion) because they don't seem to understand the theme of the show, so they don't appreciate his character. NGE is all about characters and has great characters. But I think Shinji is on another level compared to everyone else.

EDIT: Forgot Sekai Saionji from School Days. She is at fault for almost everything in the series.

Neko Mizu

Kawaii
Years
Well, the dropping is not something I do so I have to be excluded from this part of question but here are some examples.

First example has to be FMA and Shou Tucker. That guy is one of few character I REALLY despise and since I really loved FMA, this guy really falls into this category.

Kazumi Yoshida - Shakugan no Shana - OMFG I hate this creepy stalker, Shana is flat => she's better, accept it.

Kuradeel and especially everyone's beloved Nobuyuki Sugou - SAO - These guys deserve a punch to face, sword to abdomen and anything Kirito-kun could do.

Manami Tamura - Oreimo - Freakin' biiiiiitch, Kirino should have slapped her whenever she had a chance

Mika Shimotsuki - Psycho Pass 2 - PP2 was a huge letdown compared to the first season but adding her was the second worst decision (with first being omitting Urobtucher from writing)

Near - Death Note. I think I'm not the only one who says that this guy destroyed DN. The second part was nearly unwatchable because of him

Shirley - Code Geass, Code Geass is one of my most loved anime and I can't find anything bad on it but she was pain in the butt everytime she was on screen.

Um... as I see, my most hated archetype is overly attached main girl =D

Oh and here's one special mention.
Koichi Shido from High School of The Dead.
Those who have seen the anime... will surely understand.

+1
Since we're on School Days, Kotonoha. Simply Kotonoha, I seriously wanted to punch her to face. Definitely the worst girl.

Kotonoha for me was the only character I liked.

Years

She is the most innocent (well except for like the last episode) in the damn series. She was used and thrown out like what 2-3 times? They fucked with the poor mentally unstable girl. I really did felt sorry for her character.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 3, 2020
Man looks like I missed last weeks discussion, make me laugh out loud pretty hard.

As for characters I dislike, all them fools that replaced L in death note, both of them the kids with the toys, and the metrosexual douche with the chocolate bars.
Sasuke pre-shippuden- god was he annoying
Naruto post shippuden- just die
Oh and the Falcon guy from Berserk, loyalty is a big thing for me and punk got none :(

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Dense as hell romcom / harem male protagonists that can't take a hint even if you threw a brick with the words "I love you" in it. I mean yeah I can't pick up hints at times myself but when a girl has been with you for a long time (the entire series) and continuously helps you, gives you a gift, tries to say something but is cockblocked by a passing train, couldn't you have at least thought of it?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yukiteru Amano. 90% of what I don't like in that show comes from him, and he's easily my least favorite character in anime. He's the type of whiny protagonist that makes me wonder why people give Shinji so much shit, and the problem is that there's no real development. He has his "man up" moment at one point but it lasts for...what, an episode? And this is already near the end of the series.

Not to mention that he keeps making wrong choices and he never really learns from them, not even at the end. Instead he ends up wallowing in self pity over what I believe (or who I believe, rather) was his greatest mistake of all. Really, just thinking about it burns me up.

Probably next to him is Kirito in terms of protagonists I hate (and considering how much it takes for me to truly hate a character rather than simply disliking them or not liking them, it has weight) and Asuna more than him, and this may seem pretty bland of me, all things considered, but there are reasons. She's just an accessory for Kirito.

She (Asuna) really only has one personality, and that personality is Kirito's wristband. She had potential as a character in her early appearance, where she was just another confused character in the world of SAO- and then, I didn't mind her. She wasn't typecast to some cliche archetype or anything, she was a canvas ripe for potential. After returning to the show, she immediately became a wristband, and that potential was lost. What really made this bad, though, was the fact that she was- twice- the cause for inexplicable glitches that take you out of the experience, and that her relationship with Kirito was...perfect like a love song. Perfect, in that there was no real foundation for the relationship, and it felt very one-dimensional in that there was nothing else to it- it was just love for the sake of love, just like a love song would depict. All they needed was each other, and they never had fights, talked about anything in particular other than SAO or Yui, and, again, it didn't really grow from anything other than that Kirito was a guy and Asuna was a girl. It had no chemistry, and like the two involved, it didn't have any sort of personality. And normally I wouldn't be too hung up on this, but this- as in from episode 6 onward- is where my feelings about the show started to change.

When you give a character a wristband, naturally they change too. They have an obligation to acknowledge said wristband- either sexually, romantically, or both- and at times they become one with the wristband. Thus Kirito was made a husband, but the kicker is that now that the camera was shown more on him as a character, it was more dependent on...him as a characte-

Wait a minute, this is unnecessary. Yuki, Kirito, and Asuna, those are the three, and though I finished SAO 1 and technically finished Future Diary, I also technically dropped Future Diary and am unsure about whether SAO 2 is going to happen for me. Though I rarely feel the need to objectively trash characters, mainly because it seems excessive and insulting, I really think these three are just really badly written characters that only get worse as their series' progress. As for someone I do like that's hated...Rossiu from TTGL. He's kind of like a better written Yukiteru in that he's kind of whiny, but the main reason he's like this is because he's the straight man in a group of people that like to kick logic to the curb. Later on he also makes bad decisions- ones that are fatal even- but the reason I like Rossiu is because he comes to terms with this and tries to change as a person, and similarly he also tries to redeem himself rather than simply wallowing in self-pity.

Getting slapped in the face helped.

Last edited:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Izaya-kun is amazing why do people hate him?

I haven't watched any godawful anime to think of anyone with traits sooo terrible, I hated the guy. Sure, there's always those two kids from Death Note, Shou Tucker, and some more folks who did immoral things, but really. I haven't actually hated anyone who is not bad to begin with. Okay, maybe those two kids from Death Note managed to make me drop the thing at chapter 60ish and they're on the side of justice, but it's already pointed out at the previous posts haha.

There's also my hatred towards Yuuki Asuna fron SAO, but she has at least scaled up into the "okay" characters thanks to the development shown in SAO II. I mean, I haaaate Asuna since she was bland and for a while only acted like she was just Kirito's tsundere girlfriend. SAO II fixed that, and I'm happy.

Also, a bit nitpicky but I don't like characters with no sense of personal space. And that nearly got me to hate Chitanda Eru from Hyouka. She has zero sense of personal space, and it annoys the heck out of me.

Although I had to refrain myself on mentioning Glasslip or the post will be a long rant on the whole thing.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
The only good character was Setsuna.
I personally even liked Sekai more.

Although I had to refrain myself on mentioning Glasslip or the post will be a long rant on the whole thing.
Well... you think Glasslip would work here?
I mean, it was stupid as hell but characters weren't that bad actually... pretty bland, yea, but I didn't particularly hate anyone =D

Welp, since he was mentioned, I can throw Kirito-kun as a character that I like but other seem to hate him.
He's sugoii. And he didn't choose Silica so she's up for me.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
Another Izaya lover over here. Seems we will take over the forum soon, MUAHAHAHA.

The character I hate the most is the stupid guy Makoto from School Days. The actual problem I have with him is not how the character was written, but how people (especially the heterosexual male audience) react to his actions during the series.

(School Days spoiler ahead)
Spoiler:

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I don't think I've ever hated a character enough to drop something.

Now that I think about it though, this goes hand in hand being able to vent upon the other week's thread of Main characters that I wasn't able to post about but:

USELESS MARY SUES A.K.A

yui_komori_53825.jpg

I mean I didn't like the anime overall, but Yui was just horrible. Just so damn stupid, no character development, no personality, degrading, idiotic, useless, helpless. May the list forever go on. Every episode it's basically borderline rape almost with her going up to one of the boys in the reverse harem > hopes to help them > gets blood sucked out of her and doesn't run for it > goes back for round 2 the next episode.

... she's just ughhhh.

amnesia-main-embarrassed-300x282.png

Protag off Amnesia was slightly better and more tolerable. She was somewhat annoying, but prefer her than to Yui.

Also how do you even hate Orihara Izaya xD

Spoiler:

Makoto Itou and that guy from Say "I love you". But the second one I started to like later on.

There needs to a club for this xD How he attracts more spinless woman than even Kirito I-can-attract-every-female-in-sao is beyond me.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I don't really hate any character in particular that gives me a vendetta to see them fail or die. At best, I'm annoyed at the sign of horrid writing. Kirito etc are those run-of-the-mill Gary Stu/Mary Sue. Characters like Mikado from DRRR and Inaho from Aldnoah Zero are character types - completely coolheaded in spite of circumstances that should warrant at least some slight emotion indicative of pressure - that really throw off my suspension of disbelief, especially since they're quite young and have not had near-death experiences.

Years
I really hated Makoto Itou, Hikari Kurude and Otome Katou from School Days (surprise). I don't want to go into spoilers or anything, but the former is an apathetic sex-obsessed douche bag and the last two are man-stealing sluts. I started off liking Sekai Saionji, but quickly found I disliked her when she turned out to be horrible person.

I actually really like Kotonoha Katsura and Setsuna Kiyoura though. I thought they were actually really likeable (and pitiable) characters. In general though. I think hating a lot of the cast is one of the things that made it enjoyable.

Years
I've been binge watching Kaiji and I can say only one thing.(✿◠‿◠) I want Mamoru Andou to die in a fire (✿◠‿◠).

He showed the ugly and sadly very real part of humanity.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
Just a heads up everyone! I'm out of town for a wedding and will be unable to post the thread or update the standings on time.

That being said, for those of you who see this message, from here on, in this thread, any post that meets the typical standards of this event will be worth 2 points instead of 1! Good luck!

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I also hate useless Mary Sue's, especially those from reverse harem.

Honorific mention to Yuki from Vampire Knight, who had a bunch of hot men around her and couldn't stop crying about things no one cares about...

There needs to a club for this xD How he attracts more spinless woman than even Kirito I-can-attract-every-female-in-sao is beyond me.

Indeed. A real life Makoto wouldn't really have that success, I'm quite sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back