• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Weirdly popular HGSS pokemon

Years
  • I like how ampharos/mareep/flaaffy get's such good attacks early on the game. Plus he looks so cute (yes I choose pokemon based on looks ;p )

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • A Heracross should be captured and used as a main Party Pokemon at every opportunity. I can quite confidently say that Heracross is, and has always been one of my best Pokemon, whenever I've used it. Undoubtedly the best Bug type, speedy, and can launch some heavy hitting attacks.

My Heracross on HG is currently at level 92, caught at level 3. It knows Brick Break, Megahorn, Earthquake and Swagger. One of my friends said my team would never ever beat him, because he had all the best Pokemon. Actually, he just hacked a bunch of level 100 legendaries onto his game. Heracross wiped out 5 of them. My Tyranitar did the rest.

So I'm not really all that surprised that Heracross is popular. If you know how to use one, they're beasts.

Last edited:

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • I am using a Pinsir instead of Heracross due to Pinsir learning a good bug move a bit earlier than Heracross. IDK but a lot of my friends are using mamoswine but i am using gligar instead.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think that most people go with Mareep because it's one of the easiest Electric Pokemon to find and it's good to use against Falkner. I think people use Heracross because it's uncommonly found with Headbutt.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • I don't use Heracross, or Pinsir for that matter. I never have, in fact.

As for Ampharos, I quite like it, but I've never seriously trained one. I like Raichu slightly better, but even then, Electric Pokemon as a whole just don't tend to appeal to me all that much. I just stick to Grass to battle Water types, and most Flying types don't really bother my Roserade or Torterra much (the two Grass types most likely to be found in any team of mine, usually together).

Scytha

mass effect freak
    Years
  • Whatever happened to random teams. I've never used an Amphy, and I don't think I ever will :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2010
    I think most people use Mareep because it's easy to catch and it can take some hits after it evolve. Also, it is CUTE!!!!!

For Heracross, everyone use it simply because it is quick and strong.

Years
  • I don't use Heracross, or Pinsir for that matter. I never have, in fact.

Trained a Pinsir in Pokemon Red. Great attack and good defence, but very poor special, so could get taken out very easily.

Never trained Heracross (Bugs in general don't tend to appeal to me bar the beginning when I generally train and evolve a Caterpie to get Confusion), but trained a Mareep up to Ampharos and currently still have it in my team. As others have mentioned, it's one of the first electric types to appear.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • When it comes to bug Pokemon I love my Drapion. Not only does it look sinister but it can sure take some damage! I had to use it as a last resort during the Elite 4 thinking "Oh crap, I'm going to lose" only for it to stick two fingers up at me (well.. claws in his case) and layed the Smackdown!

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Well i must admit i was influenct to get a mareep. But they are really cool, in my opinion, so that was why to. But i do not have a heracross.

Lunoon

Even through the wire.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    I think the main reason why Heracross's and Mareeps / Ampharos's are popular in the in-game HGSS is becuase that Heracross is an extremely useful bug type in-game and competitively, and Ampharos is an all around good electric type to have, it is also possible to catch one early.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2012
    For a bug pokemon i would and by i would i mean do use a Scizor very fast and also packs a bunch but for a real good speed power combo i would go with Blaziken. Now on topic i have always loved Ampharos and have one in my team rite now. Also ive always wanted to keep a Furret in my party but they just dont learn any good moves quick enough/at all to be effective either way Furret is still a bomb poke =P

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
  • I don't like to use Ampharos because most of my friends use it. As for Heracross, it's almost the same. A lot of people like it because it's a star in the anime, so I started to hate it. I hate when a pokémon becomes SO POPULAR. It also happened to Garchomp.

When I needed a Electric type, mine was Raichu.

By the way, why you are saying Mareep is good against Falkner? The first wild Mareep I've seen, was near Lake of Rage.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I don't like to use Ampharos because most of my friends use it. As for Heracross, it's almost the same. A lot of people like it because it's a star in the anime, so I started to hate it. I hate when a pokémon becomes SO POPULAR. It also happened to Garchomp.

When I needed a Electric type, mine was Raichu.

By the way, why you are saying Mareep is good against Falkner? The first wild Mareep I've seen, was near Lake of Rage.

There are mareeps in a patch of grass to the start of route 32, and some people (like me) catch a mareep just to defeat faulkner.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • Personally, I think Umbreon it's a really good Pokèmon.

Except for the Moveset, it sucks (only Moonlight and Last Resort are good), he has an awesome Defense and Sp. Defense, making him a very good tank!
    And also has a nice TM Movepool, mine has Psychic, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse and Last Resort!

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    I just caught mareep to defeat Faulkner (Like Dooonerz previously stated) But as I battled with it, i became attached to it in a way. As it evolved it became stronger and stronger so i just decided to keep it in my party. When it evolved to Ampharos it became so strong it would take out almost any pokemon (Depending on type) in one hit with its move Thunder. So maybe thats why some people keep their Mareep. But i'm not so sure about the Heracross. Only had one once and that was in older games. I'm also not a big fan on having the same thing everyone else does. /:

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
  • Yeah, I never really understood why so many people choose a hairless sheep over a cool electric type, like Magneton or something.
    Granted, he makes it easier to beat Falkner, but Geodude does the same thing and evolves into Golem, an actually cool Pokemon and an extremely powerful one in game.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I like my Ampharos. I hadn't really used electric types in my permanent party before HG, and was pleased with its capability. Heracross I never understood...

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Probably my Ampharos and my noctowl did better than i expected. But i did know Ampharos was good. but now i pretty much use noctowl for catching pokemon:)

Back