• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to Winter! The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Welcome to Winter! The Daily Chit-Chat

Same reason I think "Rae-quay-za" is silly for Rayquaza. I don't understand the "quay" part.. I've always thought it was "rae-kwah-zah" until the movie butchered it.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I pronounce Rayquaza as Ray-quay-za too! It is pretty obvious for me. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Rai-coo, En-tai, and Soo-cune is how I pronounce all three. :x I pronounce most legendaries names wrong but idc. :3;

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    The way we speak is pretty much the reason why we pronounce it differently. XD

blue

gucci
    Years
    I never knew Suicune was pronounced Swee-Soon until watching Pokémon about 2 years ago, I thought it was something like Sew-I-Scene.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I think it's the same as the way I pronounce it as Rai-koo .. :3

Anyway, there was an episode where Ash saw Suicune together with Team Rocket and the movie relating to Celebi.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I pronounced all the names correctly except for Growlithe, which I used to pronounce as "Growithine".

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I pronounce the names weirdly, cause I'm Dutch so I perceive some words differently. Anyways, Entei I just pronounce like Enn-tay :/

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    That what I was pointing out a while ago, the way we were taught how to pronounce words affects the way we read names as we were born in different cultures. ^^

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well I think that there isn't really a set way to pronounce something, since they are not real words. EVERYONE pronounces them differently, based on whatever (language, accent, dialect, personal preference). So it really depends.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Well I think that there isn't really a set way to pronounce something, since they are not real words. EVERYONE pronounces them differently, based on whatever (language, accent, dialect, personal preference). So it really depends.
    But you can always sound the words out to find out their intended pronunciation.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I actually don't care with how I pronounce it, as long as they can understand what I mean. :'p

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    But you can always sound the words out to find out their intended pronunciation.
    That's true, and probably the way they pronounce the names in the anime are right, but yeah like I said, personal preference is also a major factor. Maybe after having pronounced Entei like Enn-Tay all these years, I find out that it's different but it would still stay the way it always was for me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

There are some that aren't sound out-a-ble though :( Take like Ledian, I say "Lady-ann" because ladybug/Ledyba but if I sounded it out it would be "led-ee-ann"!

inb4 it actually is led-ee-ann ;___;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back