• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to Winter! The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I have a friend who lives in Minnesota, and it takes her school 13 inches of snow to even think about closing. They call us 'Kansas pansies' because we close down with 5 inches. What it takes for a school to close really depends on where you live, and what that location is used to enduring. xD;

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • my school doesn't close at all - no snow.

Though I think when it exceeds 45 degrees something happens.

Years
  • Here in Minnesota, urban schools are less likely to close than rural schools, since rural schools have to travel longer distances by bus and car and use unpaved roads.

13 inches is an exaggeration, though. Many places close with just 4 inches, but that's only if it's truly blizzard like conditions. Schools in the snow belts north and south of the Twin Cities area less likely to close since they are better prepared. Growing up, my school never closed, because the superintendents always asked the head of the bus company if they could drive the roads with their buses, and he always would say they could, even when every other school district around did.

We don't even shut down for a whole day here. We're highly prepared for this stuff. We're not as prepared for ice storms that places further south of here get since we're usually too cold for those, though we had one last winter where we just holed up for a day or two while the plow drivers salted the roads.

We did have a day in 2005 where the governor issued an executive order that every school would be shut down for the day, but that was one of the few days I got off of school for the weather.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    We got like... less than an inch of snow here a few years ago (note that I live in Florida) but since I moved here I've had to go to Arizona and the like in order to see snow again.

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • My friend lives in Brainard, Minnesota. It's a pretty little town, though she might've been exaggerating with the 'not closing unless it's 13 inches of snow' thing. xD; I have no idea. I live in Kansas, what do I know about truly awful snow conditions? /shot

But thaaattt kinda sucks, Tara. D: Yet more friends of mine live in California, and they've only see it snow one time. It was so light that it melted once it hit the ground. As much as I wanna live in Texas, Cali, etc, I'd miss snow. WELL. I'd miss watching it fall, and the first couple of rounds. After that it gets annoying. /shot

Maka

W e a p o n ♕ M e i s t e r
    Years
  • I still can't believe it. Snow in October in Maryland. At least it wasn't snowing where my school was, since today was our Open House ^^;

Nonetheless, I love snow <3 Too bad it seems that it won't be around tomorrow. Of course, I get off on the 31st anyhow...

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • I know right? A few states off to the East got 12 inches a day or two ago..

The earliest I've ever seen it snow here was one year where it snowed on my birthday (the 10th), and I remember being upset because it wrecked what my friends I were gonna do outside. xD; Never seen it snow any earlier than, though.

& At least you're one of us who're free on Halloween.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I am a huuge Zelda fan *_*! Though it's weird that I feel like some of the older ones were the best (OoT.. Majora's Mask.. Oracle of Ages <33.. Link's Awakening~~)
    I love Zelda so much!

Oh BTW! I made something special for my 100th pokecommunity blog. I figured not everyone checks the blog section so linky (I had a ton of fun making this <3) I love all those members there. They are cool guys:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=12591

Neosquid

♦ Darkness ♦
    Years
  • I love Zelda games! My favorite is Wind Waker, and then Majoras Mask. Pretty much all of them are really good.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Ive never played Zelda. Pokemon is really all I play but I do plan to buy Skyward Sword to try it, hopefully I like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back