• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Were you disappointed in no Z?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Yea, I guess that's true about the Bird Trio. Shame though, I was hoping to see some cool action-packed cutscenes of Zygarde smacking down a rampaging Xerneas and Yveltal, but eh, it's been long enough since I've even played through X&Y's story that I can't bring myself to be too disappointed about it haha

Well, Zygarde's still getting its own anime movie, so that's better than nothing. ;) As I said, this was pretty much the norm for Legendaries in the earlier games. It wasn't until Crystal that Legendaries started getting significant backstories in the games, and it wasn't until RSE that they started becoming involved in the main plot. What's happening to Zygarde is disappointing, but it has a precedent.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    What a wasted potential.WOW . Xerneas and Yveltal, the Pokemon of Life and Death. Zygrade, the Pokemon that controls the economy. We BARELY had a storyline going on between them, even in the anime. (Regarding xerneas and yveltal). Gen 6 started only 2 years and 4 months ago and, and we suddenly get an announcment regarding a new gen? It just feels like a little child that throws away his work and decides to make a new one, just to throw it away again. It's very easy to leave as much mysteries as gen 6 left, but it's not so easy to answer them, and that's what GF didn't do, and probably won't do in the near future.
    I can't understand how ppl get so happy other a new gen when GF treats its current gens like that. They hyped us so much for gen 6 and in the end just left it half baked. Wow

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    Yes they ignored the god stone from gen5.. now they seem to ignore Zygarde entirely except the new forms..but Sun and Moon are the gold silver of XY..that's very possible..

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Yes they ignored the god stone from gen5.. now they seem to ignore Zygarde entirely except the new forms..but Sun and Moon are the gold silver of XY..that's very possible..

If thats the case then I will be fine with that. As for now, we can't say that for sure.
    And I wont be satisfied with NPC's references to Kalos etc.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I'm glad that they weren't predicable.

It's safe to presume that Pokemon S/M is a new generation but it could be connected to Kalos. Firstly there is the sundial in Anistar and then there is the so called "moondial" that an NPC in X/Y mentions as being in an another region. Also the colours of the logo are similar to the gems on Zygarde Perfect Forme. Then other theories could connect to this like the foreign region, strange souvenir. AZ floette could also have a connection. So, there could be a post game based on Kalos.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I honestly could care less about Z and was one of those who was cynical about it happening in the first place due to the previous generation and Black 2/White 2. Honestly, I have never understood the concept of a third re-release. Pokemon games are already predictable and formulaic enough - is there really a need to have yet another copy of a game that is exactly the same with minor differences?

Besides, in this day and age, it makes no sense. Any extra content can easily be patched in via DLC - free or not. So I'm glad that they've decided to forgo something unnecessary and archaic for actually new stuff. I am just so ready to move on from Gen VI because it really did nothing for me.

Last edited:

Katchelina

"...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."
    Years
  • Nah, the only thing a pokemon Z could have done that would make me buy it is expand Kalos and have a much much more indepth story, possibly a prequel instead of a sequel since the lore and history in gen 6 is pretty interesting, it just felt unfinished. I did like the ties between XY and ORAS and I would love if they continue that so the games all feel even more like you're exploring different regions of the same world.

The Kalos region seemed too small and too easy and the plot could have been better although I loved features in the games and most of the Kalos pokedex.
    As long as they do good in Sun and Moon I have no complaints. I think my only regret would be wanting more lore and have Zygarde play a role in the game with its new forms.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I got so excited when watching the stream that I physically vibrated for an hour. I'm super happy we're getting a new game rather than the same old rehash story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Honestly, I have never understood the concept of a third re-release. Pokemon games are already predictable and formulaic enough - is there really a need to have yet another copy of a game that is exactly the same with minor differences?

The third versions mostly just existed to fix what was wrong in the paired versions. Platinum was probably the worst example of this, doing nothing but fixing the multitude of things that were broken/incomplete in DP. In a perfect world, DP would've been what Platinum was, but GF can't take more of your money that way. :rolleyes2:

In fact, that is one reason why many wanted a Z in the first place. Many felt that XY were incomplete and half-assed, just like RS and DP.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • It's hard to say anything about Sun/Moon because all that The Pokemon Company confirmed is that it exists, and it has a Chinese language option...also its ability to carry over trainwreck movesets from RBY over to the new gen.

I personally don't mind not having a Z version, but I did expect it because Kalos felt unfinished in a lot of areas. Though I guess some people are still holding on to the 6.5 theory, claiming it is Z indirectly, but regardless it's too early to tell.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It is way too early to draw any conclusions, I understand that, but please bear with me in regards to where I'm coming from.

Game Freak are among my favorite developers, but they can still be very "one step forward, two steps back" in regards to starting their new generations (and even more recently, with same-gen games in general, considering how ORAS didn't include fan-favorite features such as X & Y's character customization). This is something we've all seen too many times for our pleasure: although Emerald ended gen 3 with a Battle Frontier, gen 4 wouldn't see one until Platinum; X & Y didn't bring over any of the facilities of B2W2, not even something as simple as its PokéDex Habitat List--and ORAS didn't even bring in all the features present within the games it was based on.

Maybe the two-year development cycle gave them the time to actually make Sun & Moon substantial in terms of gameplay features (and hopefully the story--please, Arceus, let it have a good story with good characters...), but I can't help but feel anxious. If the first games of a gen are known for lacking major elements of the previous gen's magnum opus, then what can be expected from Sun & Moon, when neither X, Y, OR, nor AS had any major facility or other form of content featured?

In addition to my own personal bias of wanting a "third version" to "fix" X & Y, I was also worried that jumping into a new generation too soon would just... not work out, in a sense. Because one of the common reasons people use to "justify" the first games of a gen lacking major features of the previous gen's final game is that "they had to work on all this new stuff for the new gen so they didn't have time to rework the Battle Frontier/PWT/etc." (which really isn't the best excuse, but since it's Pokémon I'll try to let it slide...). But that doesn't apply here. Gen 6 doesn't even have anything like that--the most substantial thing would probably be Contest Spectaculars, but even those are very, very simple, and they're really not all that challenging (I managed to make one of my Pokémon a Contest Star without much effort; I did all the different categories and didn't even have to change two of its moves each time...).

Like, I get why people weren't so fond of the idea of a third version. But... just because it's a new gen doesn't mean it's gonna be this majorly innovative grand escapade. They can't even use a new system to bring about "natural" innovation or progression. What I mean by that is, gen 4 was blessed by being on the DS compared to gen 3 on the GBA. They were able to use, for the first time ever, inherent (without the need of an external device) wireless trading and battles, Wi-Fi, and even sleep mode. People don't think of it much now but sleep mode was a huge thing, and it was only thanks to the DS that we have it--even the GBA SP didn't offer a real sleep mode! Alternatively, X & Y took advantage of what the 3DS had to offer, such as stereoscopic 3D and Streetpass. Sun & Moon are going to be on the 3DS again...so what else can they do? And while I'm personally sighing out of relief that the titles aren't New3DS exclusive, at least that would have offered some new possibilities with the strengthened processor and C-Stick (personally, I think a controllable camera, at least in the overworld, would be a great innovation for the series, but moving on...).

And gen 6 also ruins for Sun & Moon the possibility of some of the more obvious "advancements" they could make in regards to the core battle mechanics. Like, yeah, they could make another new Type this gen, but after Fairy-Type was just added in X & Y, it's gonna feel like too much. The reason why Fairy-Type was, for the most part, well-received was because the last time we got new Types was way back in gen 2. But making another new Type only three or so years later will feel forced (trust me, I played competitive Yu-Gi-Oh! when Xyz Summoning was first introduced; I've seen this happen first-hand).

A new gen is only "fresh" and "new" because it's set in a new region and has some new Pokémon. But that doesn't make it inherently good--lots of voices on this thread seem to echo the same idea: X & Y were a disappointment. And these were the games that brought the series into 3D for the first time. These were the games that introduced the Fairy-Type after 3-4 gens. These were the games that completely changed how we play because of the introduction of Mega Evolutions. And despite all that, the lackluster story, cardboard characters, and lack of overall content made them a disappointment. A good number of people seem to feel the same way even about ORAS (which is understandable since it falls victim to many of the same flaws as X & Y).

So, am I disappointed that we aren't getting "Z?" Yeah, kind of. Game Freak would have to mess up big time to make a third version worse than the originals. But, as we've seen, sadly it is very possible to make the first games of a new gen more disappointing than the previous gen's "third version." I'll reiterate my first words here: it is way too early to draw any conclusions, I understand that, but please bear with me in regards to where I'm coming from. We have seen this happen way too often in the past. These games have to have a substantial amount of content and an outstanding narrative brought to life by magnificently-written characters in order to make them worth it. There is absolutely no excuse this time.

X & Y could have been really, really great. There's a chance that these games will take cues from gen 2 and be connected to Kalos in some way, so there's a chance Sun & Moon can actually help X & Y in its own way. But, regardless of how it turns out, all I ask is... Please. Be great games. Give us the story and gameplay we dream for. Don't let the sacrifice of a potentially worthwhile end to gen 6 be in vain.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I wouldn't say dissapointed but rather confused. Will gen6 be the first gen where it's region has only 1 game? Will we like get Z next year? Is it trues that we can only use the gen6 starters once? If gen 7 is this year then when will the gen4 remakes be?

Years
  • I got so excited when watching the stream that I physically vibrated for an hour. I'm super happy we're getting a new game rather than the same old rehash story.

I agree with you. I feel like I was hoping for 7th Gen (going by the fact generations tend to last 3-4 years) and everyone else was hoping for Z, so I was happy to see it turn out the way it did. Fresh is always good when you need it.

I personally don't mind not having a Z version, but I did expect it because Kalos felt unfinished in a lot of areas. Though I guess some people are still holding on to the 6.5 theory, claiming it is Z indirectly, but regardless it's too early to tell.

I do admit Kalos was an incomplete region in a way, given it'll become the only region to be featured in only one game (counting sequels/third versions) and while there's the Gen 6.5 rumour floating around, I do think the image of what the overworld may look like points more towards being a new generation aka 7th Gen.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    Yeah, honestly. I was really looking forward to it, and I've always been intrigued by Zygarde (and how its different forms would come into play), and I still am. Maybe it'll make an appearance in this game, as it's supposed to be a large "culmination" of sorts :o

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
    Years
  • Absolutely not. Although Although X/Y was brilliant in the sense of them leaving their comfort-zone and trying new things, it's been 3 years. It's the 20th anniversary. I think skipping Z and going to a new gen is waaaaay smarter.

I also have 1700 hours on Y and 600 on X. I do not want to play through X/Y(Or Z) again anytime soon, haha.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    Why would I be disappointed about a game that was never coming.dont know why people were so confident Pokemon Z was coming lol
    A new generation was my guess and I'm so glad it's coming our way around October this year

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I don't really care whether they announced Pokemon Z or new games. All I care about was the hype and, look, I got it and I'm perfectly happy with the announcement

Back