• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What age do you think you should stop playing pokemon?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I certainly hope there isn't an age limit because one day I'm sure I will breach it. :(

I say you only stop playing when you get bored of it. Otherwise, there's no reason to stop.

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • Stop when it's not fun. Why would there be any other reason? Stopping because people tell you it's lame or something is... well, lame.

Someone upthread said, though, that if you stop playing for good it means you aren't a true fan, and that, I disagree with. I used to love anime in general and some specific ones in particular when I was younger. I don't care about them now, but I LOVED them then. My tastes changed (I won't say I outgrew them, because tastes can change for many reasons) and I don't love them now, but it doesn't make what I felt then erased from my history. It's possible to be a true fan for a period of time, and for the feeling to wear off.

Man, I think it would be tragic if someone kept faking to enjoy something out of some kind of obligation or guilt about it. I can't think of a worse way to ruin something you used to love. And even if I am not an OTAKU OMG of, say, Sailor Moon, any more, I remember it very fondly.

Depending one what it is about Pokemon that a person really loves, they might keep playing forever, or it might not keep their interest anymore.

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • This is a question I reminisce about often.
    TL;DR - Never. Literally. Completely serious here.

I don't think I'll drop it. Even if I were to get bored, I wouldn't toss the franchise aside like an old ragdoll; it's grown on me FAR too much to do that now, and it's essentially a part of my daily thoughts. Seems a bit obsessive at first, and, well, maybe it is, but that's just how it's going to be.

You don't throw away your friends when you get bored with them, do you? (deja vu with that question right there, what...) Hope not. Guess that's just how Pokemon feels with me. Just not quite the same, obviously. ;p;

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I won't stop playing Pokémon, it's already part of my life. ^.^

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • There is no "should". The question really is "When will you stop playing Pokemon?"

As for me, I will stop playing... never, as far as the foreseeable future is concerned.

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    This is actually an interesting theme.

But I mostly agree with what has been said. Pokémon will always be an interest to us all when we're 25, 30, 40, maybe even 50 and so on. But then we probably won't have the availability to play, or be as involved. It's not an age thing, it's just that life has a way to change priorities.

Anyway, when I get to 70 and I retire, I plan on playing videogames (especially Pokémon, GEN100000) on my ancient GameBoyAdvances and Nintendo DSs, and still have a blast.

Years
  • Elementary School - everyone plays Pokemon
    Middle School - only nerds/geeks play Pokemon
    High School - no one plays Pokemon
    College - everyone plays Pokemon

Haha, that's exactly how it works. I played like crazy in Elementary School, intermittently in Middle School, and rarely if at all in High School (usually only on long car rides). Now I'm in college, and I'm back to it! I think I can appreciate the nostalgia factor more now than I could in High school.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • Pretty much what everyone else has said.

... there... really isn't much more to be said XD The only age that'll stop me from playing Pokemon, and any games for that matter is the age I die at. unless there is an after life and they got Pokemon/games, then well an eternity of awesome awaits me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Odds are if it's kept your interest as long as it has kept mine, then you'll probably never grow out of it. I see absolutely no reason to stop playing for the sole reason of getting older.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm probably going to stop playing Pokémon after Generation V, unless something really special comes out next generation. I estimate I'd be about 20 around that time. But I don't think there's a set age you should stop playing Pokémon - or any video game for that matter.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • To me, I have no idea when I'm gonna stop playing. I might revisit every generation in the future when the time comes.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • What a silly question... there's no answer to that. It's a game. You can play it no matter how old you are. I met an 85 year old woman who played Pokemon every day when she was taking a break from cleaning in the lunchroom, so age isn't a restriction, obviously.

Blaizie

Be the Best Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • doesnt matter realy, its like other anime series/games.

ex: Naruto is: anime and playable too like Pokemon so there wouldnt be any reason to stop in any age.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Probably when you stop having time for it, and unless you continue to live off your parents/benefits, you probably will stop having time for it. Except, maybe, the odd play once in a while.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm 20, I see no end in sight. The age I will stop playing the games will be the age I am when they stop making them.

Back