• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    to be honest i appreciate everything a hacker does in a hack... as we are all humans we shudnt be quick to bash any small tile mistakes spelling etc.... thats wat beta and beta testers are for

the only thing that really annoys me is aside from ur first poke, u bump into a person who randomly gives u a rare pokemon

but hey thats my opinion only...

:)

Years
  • The one, single thing I actually hate about hacks is an arrogant hacker. Especially when the hack sucks.

What annoys me about hacks, though? Sorry, I've got school tomorrow, I've not got enough time.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • The one, single thing I actually hate about hacks is an arrogant hacker. Especially when the hack sucks.
    What annoys me about hacks, though? Sorry, I've got school tomorrow, I've not got enough time.

This. I remember a hack a while back called Pokemon Master Quest, the hacker (will not mention name) had made a terrible hack, it was rushed and had tile errors everywhere, and when people told him how to improve he would just shout at them and make rude comments.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years

• This. I remember a hack a while back called Pokemon Master Quest, the hacker (will not mention name) had made a terrible hack, it was rushed and had tile errors everywhere, and when people told him how to improve he would just shout at them and make rude comments.
    Ah, yes, the same person who fought with Spherical Ice himself. D: But it does bring up my ideas of a bad hack:

Tile errors - Take time on your maps, please. There isn't a need to rush, and also, if you know something looks wrong in your mapping, try and browse through the tilesets to fix your errors.

Grammar Mistakes - What makes a person enjoy a hack? The nice storyline, and events in the hack that are awesome. Though what if one cannot understand what's happening, since they can't read what that word says? Fix grammar mistakes before compiling scripts. Dx

Fixing Mistakes - When people reply on hacks, they point out mistakes, etc. Then the owner of the hacks (well, some), fail to fix the mistakes, because they're too busy or something. )= Take your time on hacks.

Reusing FireRed... - ...scripts, maps, etc. I say start everything from scratch. Don't reuse FireRed scripts (though some exceptions may be healing Pokemon). Create all your scripts by your skills in scripting. If you dunno how to script, look up a tutorial or recruit a scripter for your hack. And maps... What I do is I erase all scripts, and then erase the whole map and start mapping a new map by there. Don't remake maps, because I see some maps that look like mere edits.

And most importantly, take your time on hacks. Don't rush to showcase your hacks. I remembered I did that, and I ended up quitting since I rushed too much. Dx So I say make good progress and put lots of effort into it before showcasing your hack. That way, there will be much more better comments and such. Well, that's it. (=

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • Oh yes... defenantly! I'm sure there would be plenty of things that would annoy me in a ROM Hack, and most of those problems can commonly occur, but don't worry... everyone does realize what they've done wrong on a hack, problems on a ROM Hack can't always be avoidable, that's why we always give the ROM Hacker a hand with their ROM Hack by reporting any of the problems.

Oh wait! I forgot to list out the problems on a ROM Hack that annoy me, well I'm sure everyone would actually like to know... alright... here it goes!

Map Connection Errors - I'm sure those can be fixed with no problem at all, I do understand we all have these problems at times.

Movement Permissions - I wouldn't be worried about that very much; after all, no one's perfect. But if the movement permissions are badly corrected, it can become a problem. :x

Script Errors - Now this would have to be one of the biggest problems, the script errors can indeed cause crashing on a ROM Hack, and if it was to be avoided... there's always someone that can be willing to help you with it.

And as for spelling mistakes textbox errors don't worry me very much. But I would always tell the hack author about it though.

And that's it for what I can think of right now, see ya 'round! ;D

dt200

Was and will be forever alone.
    Years
  • Script that messes up yr game. Its the worst thing ever!!!
    Especially when you're havin' a good game!
    :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    I noticed that a whole bunch of you paople said fakemon for most annoying, should I stick to my fakemon or should I just not do fakemon at all?

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I thought I was the only one who hated Fakemon. I also hate when people put out of place pokemon for example, RubyDestiny. It's a great hack but I don't like herracross and munchlax in it. It just feels.... different. Unfinished hax is what really brings my piss to a boil. (Yes Serg!o, I'm looking at you!) }:(. I play hacks w/ good Fakemon, like Quartz. Swearing, don't really care. (Start trollin' me now! :P) So yeah, that's about it. Oh yea, Game-Crashing glitches. (Sienna beta 2 had a glitch where you take a step on 2 tiles and the game freezes.) It's cool when they're fixed, like in beta 3. (Serg!o, once again,) In Naranja, I couldn't finish the game because of the battery glitch. OK, now I'm finished.

Equin

Got it memorized?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Not much to say here, it's easy to think that when something is not properly done, it starts to annoy you. So, that applies to hacks as well.

In other words, anything not properly done in a hack annoys me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I've never really liked when someone just remakes another Pokemon game. It's not that they're bad, it's just that I would rather play something that hasn't been done already. I've played Gold and HeartGold. I don't need to play ShinyGold too. No offense to anyone who makes remakes.

ipatix

Sound Expert
    Years
  • When noobs want to insert new music and don't know how it works correctly. For example: if you only hear these "beeps" of the square1.

If the music doesn't suit to Pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Some of them don't work, instead, they just leave a white screen and don't let me play them

If you want fakemon, do whatever you want to do

ps: what are the best sites to get pokemon rom hacking equipment?

Last edited:

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
  • quaztec said:
    Some of them don't work, instead, they just leave a white screen and don't let me play them

If you want fakemon, do whatever you want to do

ps: what are the best sites to get pokemon rom hacking equipment?

The rom hacking utilities ARE here. WE provide them for you. ¬.¬ The largest collection thus far is HackMew's programs.

Also, it's easy to fix those white screens. You just copy the header of a clean rom, from 08000000 to, let's say, 080000A0. It's usually an edited BIOS that gives a white screen on loading the rom. How do you do that? HxD. Google "HxD" by Maël Horz and download it. It's a free awesome hex editor that I've been using for a long time. It can copy/paste hex, expand the rom, even edit the RAM on Windows programs(though I have no clue how xD).

altariaking said:
    Another thing I hate is when people say they hate fakemon, and that Gamefreak and hackers are running out of ideas for fakemon. 90% of these people are just jealous because they can't sprite

Nothing wrong with an opinion. I honestly think some of the Pokemon Black/White Pokemon designed by Gamefreak look really odd, weird, or horrible. Otamaro looks like a face with a tail. Dageki is a messed up Karate dude(although I admit its stats are awesome). Etc. Some are cool though, such as Shinbora and Kyurem. However some just don't look as much like Pokemon; some resemble Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh monsters sometimes. Fakemon can be bad, but some good ones will come every once in a while. The makers could take advice on shading/richness or whatever, and that should improve their Fakemon.

Deliciousfruit233 said:
    I've never really liked when someone just remakes another Pokemon game. It's not that they're bad, it's just that I would rather play something that hasn't been done already. I've played Gold and HeartGold. I don't need to play ShinyGold too. No offense to anyone who makes remakes.

I like the resemblances/accuracy more than the actual storyline, of course. That's about all you can like about those remakes though(unless the person was epic enough to remake the Pokemon sprites too; that would be AWESOME.).

bear28 said:
    Starters... i want some dynamic starters.

i would also like to see some themes in hacks.
    i had an idea of a bug pokemon hack where the starters would be scyther heracross and pincer.

The problem with new starters generally is if you can possibly win the first rival battle. If it's too hard, you MUST try to make it easier. If the person can't win, then that starter is out of the picture. Personally I like it when people put the favorite starters of each type. I would put Treecko, Cyndaquil, and Squirtle. One from each region, and they're well-liked from what I've seen.

Destiny Demon said:
    Reusing FireRed... - ...scripts, maps, etc. I say start everything from scratch. Don't reuse FireRed scripts (though some exceptions may be healing Pokemon). Create all your scripts by your skills in scripting. If you dunno how to script, look up a tutorial or recruit a scripter for your hack. And maps... What I do is I erase all scripts, and then erase the whole map and start mapping a new map by there. Don't remake maps, because I see some maps that look like mere edits.

You don't always have to start from scratch. I'm making a Hard Mode FireRed Patch in my free time, and it's just simple map edits to change up some stuff, add more trainers, puzzles, etc., then modify the Pokemon trainers wield to produce more of a challenge. Now don't think of me as lazy. I'm a hardcore hacker of course; I've been working on a MegaMan Battle Network 6 patch for 3 years with much success. However, in order to lessen complaints in the future, I mostly hack the game based on ideals and add some extras, such as attack edits, new patches of grass, the Mew Truck Glitch(who wouldn't like that?), side quests, requests("Add me into the game plzplzplz!" etc.) and other reasonable edits that don't ruin the integrity of the game. If it doesn't feel like Pokemon, try again.

I'm not discouraging going beyond those types of edits. I'm just saying it's not MY intention to do that, for my patch is just a Hard Mode.

PokémonShinySilver said:
    Movement Permissions - I wouldn't be worried about that very much; after all, no one's perfect. But if the movement permissions are badly corrected, it can become a problem. :x

I've never seen this, but if someone adds a "secret movement permission" to get out of a place, that's stupid. EX: Who would think of running on a secret path through a bunch of trees to get out of a city?

Spherical Ice said:
    The one, single thing I actually hate about hacks is an arrogant hacker. Especially when the hack sucks.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I know someone, and his hacks don't suck; they just aren't appealing. Plus he brags, hides his new findings(although I've found one he hid and my friend found another), and has a distasteful personality.

Destiny Demon said:
    Tile errors - Take time on your maps, please. There isn't a need to rush, and also, if you know something looks wrong in your mapping, try and browse through the tilesets to fix your errors.

You're right, there isn't. That's why I'm taking all the time I need on my patch. I'm not releasing it or making it known until there's like 300 changes and I am satisfied with it.

--------

[offtopic]This is a LONG post. O_O[/offtopic]

Last edited:

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    I get annoyed when there is the same tired generic storyline and the maps are left barely changed

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
  • I get annoyed when there is the same tired generic storyline and the maps are left barely changed

I'm not trying to bag on you here, but the changes made are based on purpose. If the purpose is to leave things the same except for the difficulty, then it would be perfectly fine to have only occasional map changes. They would just have to be instantly and obviously different.

hackerofdarkness

I have return
    Years
  • I would say swearing and bad grammar I mean Pokemon is a child game so keep it rated E and grammar it would be fine for a few improper spelling in one sentence but in a whole script that would just make me angry!

VoltraK

Not Beginning Trainer
    Years
  • I cannot stand bad Maps and terrible sprites. And most people bagging on Quartz, I don't see problem with it myself, except barely any sprites. But, opinions are opinions..

Years
  • What tends to annoy me in hacks:

Straying too far from it actually being Pokemon: this includes overuse of Fakemon and outlandish maps. Prism is nice because it still feels like Pokemon (except I sort of don't like some of the new music, but that's just me).

Game-crashing glitches: seriously, don't people test their hacks as they go on?

Bad grammar/spelling: this bugs me everywhere.

Generation 3/4: If it's not R/B/Y/G/S/C, I don't like it. The Advanced Generation was what killed Pokemon for me for the most part. The fact that it's so much more popular makes it difficult to find data on Gen 1/2 hacking.

Things that I do not mind:

Minor hacks: Everyone seems to get really disgusted at hacks that are not complete overhauls. I do not understand why this is. People seem to think that just because you want to hack ROMs, it's the only thing you should do, 100% of your time should be invested in it, everything needs done from the ground up, etc. Some people like myself prefer ROM hacking as a hobby as opposed to say, their only interest. For example, my Gold hack, it's not very big. It still plays like Gold. The biggest changes are the starters, TMs, Pokemon stats and level-up moves to create more variety in battle-worthy Pokemon, a battle mechanics overhaul, reactivation of the Safari Zone, and an all-obtainable Pokedex.
    Even that takes time. I just restarted my hack from scratch and have been working on it for a month, and do not expect to get done until next month at the very soonest.

Swearing/jokes/etc. - Everyone seems to be against this. Seriously, grow up. I'm at least being kind enough to do a version of my hack without it, but come on. My guess is that the majority of ROM hackers are in their late teens or early 20's somewhere, and they can't handle a bit of do-si-do here and there? This ridiculous need for everything to be politically correct is one of the things that makes me shudder at the thought of the general American populace.

This one isn't strictly pertaining to hacks, but more the hackers themselves:

Using pre-made tools: This goes back to my "hacking is a hobby" thing. People seem to not think you're a real hacker if you'd rather use a premade tool by someone else to edit some data as opposed to meticulatingly calculating and hex editing it. Hacking's not fun if it's so tedious as to be frustrating. I forget who made the analogy about it on here (if whoever said it reads this, please credit yourself for me), but someone mentioned something about 2 kinds of people - ones who spent years trying to learn to eat a steak with just their hands without getting steak sauce all over themselves, and those who would rather used the fork and steak knife made for that purpose and make eating steak easier. It goes back to that. If there's not a tool for something, I CAN figure out how to hack it in hex or whatever, but if there is, you can be sure I'm going to use it. As much as I enjoy making my hack, it's not the only thing I do. I've got bills to pay and a girlfriend to hang out with, etc., and the quicker I finish my hack, the quicker I can move on to the other things I enjoy. Tools help this.

I think I've ranted enough.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I'm bored of the 8 badge storyline. No offence but if I wanted that I would play the original game :)

Back