• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
Years
  • just picked up Brave New World by aldous huxley but i think on top of that i'm gonna pick up some poetry from the library

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    Right now I'm reading Dark Tower VII by Stephen King. It's taking me forever to read it, probably because I stopped 1/4 of the way through to read Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies.

Years
  • I'm reading Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts. It's the first time I've ever read one of her books, especially one that has a pagan overtone to it.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
  • Just finished these two: (both by Markus Zusak)
    - I Am The Messenger
    - The Book Thief

Two very good books in my opinion. I really like his writing style. As for my next reading, I'm thinking about The Jungle by Upton Sinclair or re-reading The Hunger Games series (at the request of a friend).

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Currently trying to read The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon, but it's not really the sort of book you can pick up and just read a few chapters of. As readable as it is, it only achieves this quality after you've forced yourself to read at least three chapters so you can get into a good rhythm, especially with regards to all of the Jewish vocabulary that I, for one, am unfamiliar with.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Just finished:

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.
    The man was a genius!

The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    As a religious person myself, it's interesting to note the view of atheists on certain aspects of religion.

Reading:
    Philosophy of Mind
    Hey, Philosophy is awesome.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I need to read 'Song of Roland' for my literature-esque subject for university!
    While I have barely started reading it, I love all those medieval texts and the culture back then and everything, so it looks very interesting!

Hassan_Abdillah

Wayfarer
    Years
  • "The Story of Philosophy" - by Professor Will Durant. International best seller, been translated to multiple languages, 500+ pages. The author basically compiles the history of European Philosophy starting from Socrates all the way down to the contemporary philosophers. Each of the proposed philosophy has been given a fair representation, while including the criticisms to them as well. The language is sheer awesomeness as well.

Philosophy is wonderful, but sometimes I think it's a waste of time, namely because a major portion of philosophy (a) has no practical benefit and/or (b) based merely on speculation. This is the second Philosophy book I'm studying, the first one was "Sofie's World" by Jostein Gaarder.

I've finished Socrates and Plato, and nearing the end of Aristotle.

Arlen

I heart ROBOT
    Years
  • just finished Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - so many different viewpoints you can side with from that one novel, very interesting read.

but i think i'm going on to dead hart, just because i do a literature class :D

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I recently finished Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Read it again; this time focus on Roger. Roger has got to be one of the most interesting characters in the novel if you look closely enough at his actions.

As for me:

Italo Calvino's 'If on a Winter's Night a Traveller' is a remarkable postmodern book about reading a book! Everyone who loves weird and wonderful things should read it. I just finished it and wow. Just wow.

Right now, however, I'm on to George Orwell's 'Coming up for Air' and also 'Purgatorio' by Dante Alighieri .

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Given up reading Yiddish Policemen. Might pick it up later on, but am currently reading The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson: the latest Booker Prize winner (sort of a British version of the Pulitzer in terms of prestiage). It seems OK so far, but I'm only 40 pages in, and I imagine it gets better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back