• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: What are you hoping for?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Not sure why everybody is arguing with alexander18, he obviously works at Gamefreak so he knows what they're gonna put in the game. Right?

Thought of some more features, other than the story and other fixes I posted earlier:
    I want Soaring to return, with Charizard obviously; it was a cool feature that I really enjoyed. I can't really see it return but it would be nice. I'm also hoping for new areas; it could just be new routes on existing islands or maybe more man-made islands. I also kind of want Type: Null to be available earlier in the game, it would be fun to use.

I don't think Marshadow will be in-game but they can always surprise us. But given their record... I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm going to be in Japan so I can get my own anyway.

I'm kind of hoping for a parallel alternate universe game rather than a sequel because I want to see what the creators can do given this scenario. Would be funny to see Gladion and Lillie switched, for example, just as another "what if?"

I know the "Ultra" was only in the title because of the Ultra Beasts but... I really want these games to FEEL ultra.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Not sure why everybody is arguing with alexander18, he obviously works at Gamefreak so he knows what they're gonna put in the game. Right?

Thought of some more features, other than the story and other fixes I posted earlier:
    I want Soaring to return, with Charizard obviously; it was a cool feature that I really enjoyed. I can't really see it return but it would be nice. I'm also hoping for new areas; it could just be new routes on existing islands or maybe more man-made islands. I also kind of want Type: Null to be available earlier in the game, it would be fun to use.

I don't think Marshadow will be in-game but they can always surprise us. But given their record... I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm going to be in Japan so I can get my own anyway.

I'm kind of hoping for a parallel alternate universe game rather than a sequel because I want to see what the creators can do given this scenario. Would be funny to see Gladion and Lillie switched, for example, just as another "what if?"

I know the "Ultra" was only in the title because of the Ultra Beasts but... I really want these games to FEEL ultra.
    I never said i work at game freak nor act like i do. Don't start things up with me.

Soaring is an ORAS feature so i don't see it happening. Gladion and Lillie are unlikely to switch and i don't want them to.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    t h i c c - er wicke

a better post-game. PLEASE. The past 3 main game duos we've gotten post-game has been ridiculously poor. I just want a reason to play the games past the main story for anything other than competitive, which I can just do on Showdown anyway.

Years
    t h i c c - er wicke

a better post-game. PLEASE. The past 3 main game duos we've gotten post-game has been ridiculously poor. I just want a reason to play the games past the main story for anything other than competitive, which I can just do on Showdown anyway.

I think this is the main thing for me, I've really enjoyed the last few Pokemon games and felt Game Freak have come a long way since moving to the 3D engine. But Post-game is the main issue for me atm, it's been pretty dire in recent times and I really hope USM gives us a really enjoyable post-game.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    SM are the starting games of the gen. That is mainly why the final games would have a larger post game. SM, ORAS & XY had satisfying post game for me.
    Eh, it depends on what you do in that postgame. We used to have a lot of dungeons, battle facilities and new areas to explore starting from about Emerald up to about B2/W2, now we only ever get a single facility, a small sidequest that takes about 20-30min and catching a few legendaries in old areas. You can do stuff like breed and play competitive, but honestly I'd rather do that on Showdown.

On that note, I want more locations to actually explore, you know, not getting handheld the whole way, with any loot being along more or less the main path.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It looks like one of the most common desires for these games is a deeper post-game experience, and I can totally relate to that perfectly. Having more do do and experience after the completion of the plot and the completion of the League is always amazing - I want to have tons more to experience in Alola, since what we have so far is so great. A new Battle Frontier, or at least a good new facility, is at the top of my list of course, but looking back on what we got with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, I also would really love to have more story experience after the initial credits role. I would love to have these games give us the most extensive post-game experience since HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Eh, it depends on what you do in that postgame. We used to have a lot of dungeons, battle facilities and new areas to explore starting from about Emerald up to about B2/W2, now we only ever get a single facility, a small sidequest that takes about 20-30min and catching a few legendaries in old areas. You can do stuff like breed and play competitive, but honestly I'd rather do that on Showdown.

On that note, I want more locations to actually explore, you know, not getting handheld the whole way, with any loot being along more or less the main path.

I'd note that the two versions you listed are third versions or sequels... which we haven't gotten any of since the latter two you mentioned! It's hard to compare the amount of post-game content in Gen 6 to that of Gen 5, which really had quite a lot, simply because there wasn't a similar release for Kalos. We can't guarantee that there's going to be significant new area to traverse or that there will be some cool new post-game battle experience, but based on former generations I do think we can hope for it.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Two generations without a battle frontier confirms no battle frontier for the future. We will just get new battle facilities each gen.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I'm hoping for more Alolan forms! I remember seeing Alternative Forms in old Pokemon fan-projects, I helped design a lot myself, and it was so fun! Pokemon The Lost World by Captain Arcane had aloooot of great Alternative Regional forms of Pokemon.

pkmin3033

It definitely looks like postgame will make or break these games. I think something a lot of people who doubt we'll get a good postgame forget though is that Gen VI was nothing but a stopgap generation, and can't really be used as any kind of comparison when it only got one set of games excluding remakes. I see no real reason why we wouldn't get a postgame of the same sort of standard as Emerald/Platinum/B2W2 at the very least.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Gen 6 did had post game regardless of what others think. XY had Battle Maison, Looker episode and Kiloude City with Battle Maison. ORAS has Battle Resort and Delta Episode. These are post game material.

Years
    Two generations without a battle frontier confirms no battle frontier for the future. We will just get new battle facilities each gen.

As in, new battle facilities that are copy-pasted formats of each other. Battle Subway, Maison and Tree all follow one simple format of singles or doubles, with an AI partner in Multi Battles that sucks.

It's so sad that Masuda (I think it was him) all but confirmed the Frontier's death due to a "lack of interest" based on most players finding it too difficult.

pkmin3033

Honestly, even though it's unlikely, I'd like to see new Mega evolutions too. Treating it like Gen VI's gimmick is ridiculous - it shouldn't have been included in Gen VII games at all in that case, if they're not going to build upon it so that it feels like part of the franchise, and not something they just tossed in for the hell of it. As it is right now, Mega Evolution is a very unexplored, unsatisfying concept that needs proper expansion.

Years
    Honestly, even though it's unlikely, I'd like to see new Mega evolutions too. Treating it like Gen VI's gimmick is ridiculous - it shouldn't have been included in Gen VII games at all in that case, if they're not going to build upon it so that it feels like part of the franchise, and not something they just tossed in for the hell of it. As it is right now, Mega Evolution is a very unexplored, unsatisfying concept that needs proper expansion.

I can totally understand you here, since Mega Evolution was heavily promoted in a lot of 6th Gen marketing as the major new mechanic and now one generation later it's getting treated like crap and shoved into the background. First, because no new Mega Evolutions in S/M and second, only Alola Dex Megas can be obtained in-game (other than the Kanto starter Mega Stones) while the others all have to wait to be distributed via entering a battle competition or by entering a special code.

If Mega Evolution met this fate in 7th Gen, then it's fair to say the same will be for Z-Moves in 8th Gen.

pkmin3033

I can totally understand you here, since Mega Evolution was heavily promoted in a lot of 6th Gen marketing as the major new mechanic and now one generation later it's getting treated like crap and shoved into the background. First, because no new Mega Evolutions in S/M and second, only Alola Dex Megas can be obtained in-game (other than the Kanto starter Mega Stones) while the others all have to wait to be distributed via entering a battle competition or by entering a special code.

If Mega Evolution met this fate in 7th Gen, then it's fair to say the same will be for Z-Moves in 8th Gen.
    Ultra Beasts, too. I doubt we'll get any more of those after Gen VII. Some people would call that a good thing, but I think if they properly explored these things and made them feel like part of the franchise as a whole, it'd silence a lot of the critics. The problem is that these things are being slapped into the game with no future plans and they feel completely out of place as a result. If they'd kept Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions separate and played off the alternate dimension thing, it would have been better - at least in terms of how these things fit into the game's lore - but they've just scrapped the whole thing.

New Pokemon are not generation-exclusive features, and GF need to understand this. It doesn't work the same way as gameplay features. I really hope they get a clue.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    New pokemon are only introduced in the start of new gens. They will never be made mid gen. That is a certain. As for mega evolution, expecting new ones will only lead to disappointment. We have enough of them as it is.

pkmin3033

New pokemon are only introduced in the start of new gens. They will never be made mid gen. That is a certain. As for mega evolution, expecting new ones will only lead to disappointment. We have enough of them as it is.
    We don't have anywhere near enough Mega Evolutions, considering how many Pokemon there are, and the disproportionate representation between gens. It does seem unlikely we'll get more in USUM - which I think is a shame, as it's a good way to introduce new Pokemon without really introducing new Pokemon, as they're basically just alternate forms - but that we should get more in the future so that the concept is not just Gen VI's out-of-place gimmick is, in my opinion at least, a foregone conclusion.

Maybe hoping for more in USUM is misplaced, but hoping for more generally is not.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't consider mega evolutons and forms new pokemon. They are basically the same pokemon but with changes. Their names don't even change when going in new forms or mega evolving. Pokemon that evolve change their names and thus become new pokemon.

Whether we see new mega evolution is up to game freak.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018

As in, new battle facilities that are copy-pasted formats of each other. Battle Subway, Maison and Tree all follow one simple format of singles or doubles, with an AI partner in Multi Battles that sucks.

It's so sad that Masuda (I think it was him) all but confirmed the Frontier's death due to a "lack of interest" based on most players finding it too difficult.

Statements made about the development of X and Y don't necessarily hold true for the rest of the franchise's lifetime. They can decide to add it back in as easily as they decided to take it out. There's no reason to think every generation will follow any rules or conventions established by any prior generations.

Back