• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

nightsmith97

Know Thyself
Years
  • I'm reading Freedom Summer: The Savage Season of 1964 That Made Mississippi Burn and Made America a Democracy by Bruce Watson right now. It's a required read for the university I'm attending this Fall, but it's decent.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • The Silkworm, by Robert "J. K. Rowling" Galbraith, a simple detective book for the holidays. Love her dialogues too.

Years
  • I just picked up Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Only just a little into the book, but the movie was great and so far I'm really liking the writing style, very vivid and prettiful. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into it.

Years
  • A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

Yeah, I've watched the TV series but I wanted to see how the series went in the books and I can say that I really enjoy reading it. :)
    That's really awesome! "A Song of Ice and Fire" is simply amazing. I started reading the books last year, about the time the 4th season came out. They are so incredibly good and there are a lot of great times ahead of you - enjoy it! :) I especially loved "A Storm of Swords" and "A Dance with Dragons". As you have probably heard, the story of the 5th season differs a lot from the books (a lot of people complained, but I still loved it and think it was beautifully done), so there are still some new things ahead. :)

@Topic: I am currently reading "Wizard and Glass", the fourth book of Steven King's "The Dark Tower". A lot of people say it's the best book of the series, and I really do like it so far. :)

Years
  • Yesterday I started reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's a cyberpunk science fiction book, which thematic of virtual reality. It was quite popular and became many good reviews when it was released in 2011. At the moment a movie adaption with Steven Spielberg as director is being planned. I really love cyberpunk and especially the topic of virtual reality. Since I only started yesterday I cannot really say how good it is, but I hope it will be that what Sword Art Online should already have been for me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kinda stopped reading the last book I was trying to read (it just wasn't doing it for me, I might pick it back up later)...

So now I've started Mort, by Terry Pratchett. Found some Discworld books the other day that I realized I haven't read yet (of which there's probably still a good bit, to be fair), so I grabbed those and I'll probably end up going through those soon enough.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    the plot against america philip roth

it's a short little alternate history book presented as the author recalling his youth in a world where charles lindbergh was elected president after rallying up the public to remain isolationist during wwii, resulting in increased anti-semitism before and during his presidency

it's interesting because it portrays a pretty believable account of how such a scenario could come to pass

Years
  • It by Stephen King

Cool, that's one of my absolute favorite books! :) How do you like it so far, and are you reading it for the first time?
    I have read it when I was about 15 or so, and two years ago I read it again (in English, this time) and I liked it even better. I just love the structure of the book (i.e. the two timelines) and the way the main themes are handled - there are so many subtle things he is telling us which I couldn't even quite grasp the first time I read it. So far, I have read many Stephen King novels, and in my opinion, this is his very, very best one.
    I haven't watched the movie until I have read it the second time, and since it really did not meet the standard of the book (as I expected after all I've heard of it), I am really hoping that the new one (which seems to be in progress, more or less) is going to be good. ;)

Years
  • Cool, that's one of my absolute favorite books! :) How do you like it so far, and are you reading it for the first time?
    I have read it when I was about 15 or so, and two years ago I read it again (in English, this time) and I liked it even better. I just love the structure of the book (i.e. the two timelines) and the way the main themes are handled - there are so many subtle things he is telling us which I couldn't even quite grasp the first time I read it. So far, I have read many Stephen King novels, and in my opinion, this is his very, very best one.
    I haven't watched the movie until I have read it the second time, and since it really did not meet the standard of the book (as I expected after all I've heard of it), I am really hoping that the new one (which seems to be in progress, more or less) is going to be good. ;)

I'm about 70% of the way through and love it, I agree that it's cool how he structured everything with the two timelines. This is the first Stephen King book I've read and I'm really enjoying it :)

Years
  • I'm about 70% of the way through and love it, I agree that it's cool how he structured everything with the two timelines. This is the first Stephen King book I've read and I'm really enjoying it :)

That's really great to hear, I hope you enjoy the rest of the book as well! :) I have read many Stephen King novels so far, so if you'd like any suggestions after you have finished It and would like to read another of his books, you can just write a PM if you like. ;)

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie... I'm not very far because of my small attention span, unfortunately. ;; However, I've really been meaning to get back into reading mysteries! I used to love reading them so I figured it's time to pick some up again.

Back