• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your thoughts on hunting?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm very bad at explaining my thoughts so bare with me please

I believe all life is equal. Whether it be a person or a flower. But I also believe it is impossible to go through life and not hurt a single living thing. I feel like there is a difference between just taking the lives of living things without reason and taking a life with respect towards that life. I think life is cycle, we take in life to live. Hunting seems more natural/respectable to me than just industrial slaughter. At the same time I've known farmers on a small scale and they have a lot of respect and love for the animals they raise. I don't agree with hunting for pure sport though.

I think more people should be familiar with hunting or farming as I believe seeing animals in their element or living along side them does bring an element of respect for those lives into the picture. When people just buy meats in a store there is a level of disconnect. Same can be said for produce. Idk... like we just buy apples in a store and there's no second thought. But to take care of your own apple tree or to simply pick the fruit off a tree gives a different appreciation. There's a lot of beauty in all forms of life but we are not open to it/closed off.

Years
    Here's an extremely brief version of how I feel. :P

In my opinion, hunting is a much more respectable means of acquiring meat than buying it in store from a mass producer. Going out and killing the animal yourself is better than buying from a company which mass produces and slaughters animals like they're objects. Animals who are hunted have at least lived their entire life up until that point, free and naturally, whereas animals raised in a factory farm setting are often spending their entire lives caged and miserable, which is something I'd rather not be supported, or support myself.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I live in like...hunting and camouflage USA lmfao. So many people around here adorn themselves in camo, the weird neon colors (idk it's related to hunting somehow), and own a shotgun. I don't get it. I don't agree with going out and shooting something just to say "yeah i killed a deer" because that just doesn't sit well with me. It's one thing to kill an animal and actually make use of it with meat and fur and such, but killing just to killl...I don't get the enjoyment. Maybe it's a stealth thing? Or a skill thing? Hunters would have to tell me cause I just don't see what's so great about getting up at 3AM, throwing on the ugliest clothes in the universe, and killing something that hasn't done a damn thing to you.

Years
    I live in like...hunting and camouflage USA lmfao. So many people around here adorn themselves in camo, the weird neon colors (idk it's related to hunting somehow), and own a shotgun. I don't get it. I don't agree with going out and shooting something just to say "yeah i killed a deer" because that just doesn't sit well with me. It's one thing to kill an animal and actually make use of it with meat and fur and such, but killing just to killl...I don't get the enjoyment. Maybe it's a stealth thing? Or a skill thing? Hunters would have to tell me cause I just don't see what's so great about getting up at 3AM, throwing on the ugliest clothes in the universe, and killing something that hasn't done a damn thing to you.

Don't you love how counter-intuitive pink camo is?

I see girls all over wearing that and it's just...bizarre. Where the hell are you going to blend in with that pink camo? It's obviously not cute either...so what gives? Do you wear that crap because you want to be like "hey I'm a cute country girl that doesn't hunt because I am like totally dainty and I want to get some, while scaring away anyone who is not a REAL man."

Also, I am also annoyed by the "hunting culture". That is, when the act is embraced for its own sake rather than the end (meat, fur, hide, ect.)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Don't you love how counter-intuitive pink camo is?

It's just a fashion bit, really. Ever wonder why hunters can wear bright frickin' neon orange and still come home with dead things? Dear can't frickin' see that shit. The best answer I found (maybe not the best, but I found it quick and that matters to me)

jimbob86 said:
    Deer don't see color well, if at all.

Blaze orange is bright grey to them. Not very bright if you use detergent w/o UV brighteners. Break up the big patch of grey....

All the various spendy camo patterns are mostly to ambush fat wallets in Cabela's and Bass Pro.......

That's pretty much what it means.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm curious because in the UK hunting is literally only done as a sport and nobody uses the carcass.

Is it a different story in the USA? Does anyone here know someone who hunts for food?

To those who says it's better than industrial meat processes. Just think about what meat is most often consumed; beef, pork, chicken. Have fun hunting those animals... I don't really think hunting can be linked to food anymore in modern society. We have domesticated the animals we use for meat; so I feel like the link of "hunting = food" is used as an excuse.

I bet the vast majority of the guys that go out and shoot animals have no idea how to carve up and use a carcass. I would lay money on it.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

Years
    I'm curious because in the UK hunting is literally only done as a sport and nobody uses the carcass.

Is it a different story in the USA? Does anyone here know someone who hunts for food?

To those who says it's better than industrial meat processes. Just think about what meat is most often consumed; beef, pork, chicken. Have fun hunting those animals... I don't really think hunting can be linked to food anymore in modern society. We have domesticated the animals we use for meat; so I feel like the link of "hunting = food" is used as an excuse.

I bet the vast majority of the guys that go out and shoot animals have no idea how to carve up and use a carcass. I would lay money on it.

That's a bet you would lose. Venison is very big over here (venison jerky, venison steaks, venison soup) and one of the only ways to get it is to go out and hunt them down. Pheasants, ducks, and geese can also be likened to the same process. Sure, the 'fox hunt' of days gone past in Britain is just pure 'poaching' (again, sport = fair chance for all. Before you say "you have a gun" more people are killed or 'gored' by deers annually than sharks. Put that in your pipe.) but there are several people that enjoy the 'fresh' flavour of a nice cut of venison. There are 'prioritized' farming animals like chickens, pigs, and cows but trying to raise deer and pheasants is not a 'big' business and I would assume not many people call for that practice. There is also wild boar and bears that are hunted, not only for the challenge, but for their meat as well. I would view using as much of the bear's body as possible as a sign of respect (bear with me on this. Heh, made a pun.). The Native Americans would use the claws, the coats, the fur, the meat and nearly every other part because it's tragic to waste (it still is tragic to waste) and I think wanting to use as much of the bear as you can more respectful than just eating the meat and moving on.

Also, wild turkey. Wild turkeys will $%&* you up.

Years
    Here are my thoughts - hunting for food is something I'm perfectly fine with. People got to eat and if that's how you get yours, I'm cool with that. It's not something I'd do myself, but different strokes for different folks. However, hunting for sport... no. Just, no. That just never sat well with me.

Years
    I can't stand it when people hunt purely for sport and don't use the animal. It's completely wasteful in my eyes (and it seems I'm not alone in thinking this it seems).

However, I'm all for it if it's for food.

Its something that I couldn't do, but to each their own I suppose

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    That's a bet you would lose. Venison is very big over here (venison jerky, venison steaks, venison soup) and one of the only ways to get it is to go out and hunt them down. Pheasants, ducks, and geese can also be likened to the same process. Sure, the 'fox hunt' of days gone past in Britain is just pure 'poaching' (again, sport = fair chance for all. Before you say "you have a gun" more people are killed or 'gored' by deers annually than sharks. Put that in your pipe.) but there are several people that enjoy the 'fresh' flavour of a nice cut of venison. There are 'prioritized' farming animals like chickens, pigs, and cows but trying to raise deer and pheasants is not a 'big' business and I would assume not many people call for that practice. There is also wild boar and bears that are hunted, not only for the challenge, but for their meat as well. I would view using as much of the bear's body as possible as a sign of respect (bear with me on this. Heh, made a pun.). The Native Americans would use the claws, the coats, the fur, the meat and nearly every other part because it's tragic to waste (it still is tragic to waste) and I think wanting to use as much of the bear as you can more respectful than just eating the meat and moving on.

Also, wild turkey. Wild turkeys will $%&* you up.

You think your venison jerkey comes from a deer shot by a redneck? Deer actually are farmed; and even so I imagine the majority of your restaurants / stores do not use locally sourced venison, it's imported from other countries. Going out to hunt it down is not the only way to get it... The amount consumed is also nowhere near the same amount as your more traditional livestock that I mentioned.

Besides, did I say hunters that use their kill don't exist? No. I said most people that shoot animals are not doing so for a practical purpose. The Native Americans were pretty great at that huh; it would be fine if we took that approach, but I think it's a little too late for that somehow.

"People enjoy it" yeah that's the main thing here, that's where my qualm is. Inhumane killing for enjoyment. Don't you think there's something a little bit messed up about enjoying the thrill of shooting at things?

also lol @ "more than sharks"

Apart from Venison, Pheasant, Pigeon, Wild duck and Partridge.

Okay you taught me never to say "nobody" in the same sense "nobody would eat a roadkill" there's bound to somebody. But can we really count the posh assholes that eat this stuff as people?

Jokes aside though. I suppose I should have said that hunting here is not on the same scale as it is in the USA; I'm quite satisfied with the scale of anti-hunting sentiment in the UK so I've got nothing to argue here.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    You know what? I don't mind hunting for sport. Assuming that there's as little ecological fallout as possible (and sometimes good fallout; deer breed like rabbits), I don't see why not hunting for the point of hunting is unethical.

There should be some obvious restrictions to prevent unintentional consequences, like driving a species to extinction, but I don't place the same ethics I do for humans as I do for animals. A deer in the wild is well aware of the fact that it is in nature, the same nature where animals kill each other. The deer I'm killing didn't do anything to separate itself from nature, and is given a fair chance; hence it's called a sport and not an execution. Why should wolves be allowed to kill deer but we can't? We're just as much a part of the world ecology as wolves are.

In addition, I'd like to bring up the point CoffeeDrink brought up: people are killed by deer. Sure, we as a human race have guns. But do deer care if you have a gun? Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm treating animals with the same exact respect I treat humans. I'm not going to go out and kill Bambi, because Bambi's a good person. Wild deer? Not exactly saints. It isn't inhumane if it's completely expected punishment from the perpetrator.

Though personally, I would prefer that the hunter gets more out of his kill than just satisfaction. It helps teach positive lessons on appreciating the animal and getting the most out of your efforts. Not to mention that someone who goes in thinking "I want to kill something for the sole point of killing something" isn't the healthiest state of mind. Not that people who hunt for sport are psychopaths, just that it's easy for someone to teach hunting for sport and for the student to interpret something entirely different. It's hard to mess up the message when you respect your kills.

Note that I'm not a hunter, and hunting is certainly not limited to deer. Just hypothetical examples.

P.S. Fuck turkeys, those things are vicious!

CoffeeDrink

Years
    "People enjoy it" yeah that's the main thing here, that's where my qualm is. Inhumane killing for enjoyment. Don't you think there's something a little bit messed up about enjoying the thrill of shooting at things?

That's kind of narrow minded. Would it be better if we all just ate burgers from McDonald's? Their cows sure don't have any freedoms whatsoever. Perhaps I should have said I'm more against 'farming' the animals to the point where they have no free reign, to know that a chicken died with only 127 centimetres of space in it's entire life is just a tad more sickening. I'd rather take the gun and go out and hunt for my food. If I come back empty handed (people often do. Not everyone can sit and wait for a week) oh well, guess we're eating beans again. I'm weighing hunting against farming conditions over here in the United States. Take a look at the horror, and tell me if it's more ethical to shoot our food or keep it confined in a cramped space for its entire life span? I'm giving you two choices: 'Inhumane' hunting? Or inhumane farming? You must pick one as the greater evil.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    That's kind of narrow minded. Would it be better if we all just ate burgers from McDonald's? Their cows sure don't have any freedoms whatsoever. Perhaps I should have said I'm more against 'farming' the animals to the point where they have no free reign, to know that a chicken died with only 127 centimetres of space in it's entire life is just a tad more sickening. I'd rather take the gun and go out and hunt for my food. If I come back empty handed (people often do. Not everyone can sit and wait for a week) oh well, guess we're eating beans again. I'm weighing hunting against farming conditions over here in the United States. Take a look at the horror, and tell me if it's more ethical to shoot our food or keep it confined in a cramped space for its entire life span? I'm giving you two choices: 'Inhumane' hunting? Or inhumane farming? You must pick one as the greater evil.

Then you should buy free range chicken if you don't agree with it. I don't have to pick one, I can choose to participate in neither.

If the option was to get rid of all meat farming and in it's replacement have a return to hunting animals when someone wants meat. Then yes, I can agree to that. Unfortunately that's never going to happen, and hunting does nothing to reduce the impact of mass industrial farming; it's just adding to the amount of dead animals. Current laws on hunting means anybody can shoot anything for any reason. Putting restrictions on hunting is a battle that can (and in many cases, has been) won. Shutting down the industrial meat industry is just too big of a goal.

I eat Game thats been shot so am I a posh "asshole"?
    Yep

Reactions: Her

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    A bit late to this discussion, but I was raised to understand that with synthetics nowadays there shouldn't be a reason for humans to hunt animals for fur (specifically). It should all be based on necessity i.e. Inuits who hunt seals for food and foxes / rabbits, etc. for fur (because synthetics are not readily available and would be super expensive).

My dad would never allow fur in the house :pink_nod: He thinks it's outdated. He's not a huge nut or tree hugger or anything, but he does think that it's wrong in some way.

I think it's a necessity thing now, too, as well as to control populations that have become out-of-hand. This is probably human error, too, given that we've probably driven its predators out of the area causing those populations - deer, etc. - to multiply at rates where nature cannot sustain such populations anymore. In those cases, though, the pelts and parts should be given to those who require them in other places where synthetics aren't available.

And of course, if you're eating what you hunt, that makes sense, too. I don't support hunting for fun :pink_no: It's messed up to kill things for "fun". Psychiatrists look into killing or harming animals "for fun" (which, to me, is equivalent to "for sport") as warning signs for psyche-related issues. Hunting isn't a "sport" to me; it's messed up unless it's for survival mainly. Even population control bugs me; it wouldn't be out of control if humans were more conscious in regards to developments which displace animals, food, etc.

CoffeeDrink

Years
    If the option was to get rid of all meat farming and in it's replacement have a return to hunting animals when someone wants meat. Then yes, I can agree to that. Unfortunately that's never going to happen, and hunting does nothing to reduce the impact of mass industrial farming; it's just adding to the amount of dead animals. Current laws on hunting means anybody can shoot anything for any reason. Putting restrictions on hunting is a battle that can (and in many cases, has been) won. Shutting down the industrial meat industry is just too big of a goal.

I have, and find issue with most of this.

1. You've been arguing against the hunting and did not give me a clear answer. I was serious when I wanted to know which you thought was more 'inhumane'.

2. Hunting adds to the dead animals? How so? If I can eat venison for a month (I have a freezer), do I have a need, want, or demand for more meat? The slaughter house doesn't want you to hunt. I swear.

3. There is no such thing as too big a battle. In fact, California recently changed it's laws regarding how it obtains its eggs and the conditions of the chickens that lay them. I would still say the conditions suck, but it happened. It changed.

4. Have you even been hunting before? It's not all too exciting. Like I said before, it's not unheard of to get back in your car with nothing more than an empty bag of trail mix. Okay, so I didn't say you'd come home with an empty bag of trail mix, I said empty handed same-same.

You should try to actually hunt something. I think that's why I'm so irritated at this. Hunting is no longer 'acceptable' in several people's eyes as they chomp down on their farmed beef and chicken. We shouldn't own guns, we shouldn't hurt anything, we shouldn't do this or that. . . I'm growing tired of all the semantics and weeping groups.

I prefer my meat as fresh as possible, and if I can I'll take the wild game. If you are indeed a vegan, I'll let this slide off into oblivion, but if you're not part of the solutions, well, I hate to break it to you pal but you're part of the problem like the rest of us so I think I should help you off that horse so you don't fall off, because it's real high.

Just 'buy' my chicken free range? What if I went out to hunt for a pheasant and I didn't manage to get one that day? I'd say that pheasant gets to live another day, but if I bought chicken the demand for chicken would increase. There are already pretty sensible restrictions on hunting and restricting it more may cause issues. Again, hunting may or may not be the contributing factor for the reduction in the population of forest life: deforestation and the destruction of habitats is.

A bit late to this discussion, but I was raised to understand that with synthetics nowadays there shouldn't be a reason for humans to hunt animals for fur (specifically). It should all be based on necessity i.e. Inuits who hunt seals for food and foxes / rabbits, etc. for fur (because synthetics are not readily available and would be super expensive).

My dad would never allow fur in the house :pink_nod: He thinks it's outdated. He's not a huge nut or tree hugger or anything, but he does think that it's wrong in some way.

I think it's a necessity thing now, too, as well as to control populations that have become out-of-hand. This is probably human error, too, given that we've probably driven its predators out of the area causing those populations - deer, etc. - to multiply at rates where nature cannot sustain such populations anymore. In those cases, though, the pelts and parts should be given to those who require them in other places where synthetics aren't available.

And of course, if you're eating what you hunt, that makes sense, too. I don't support hunting for fun :pink_no: It's messed up to kill things for "fun". Psychiatrists look into killing or harming animals "for fun" (which, to me, is equivalent to "for sport") as warning signs for psyche-related issues. Hunting isn't a "sport" to me; it's messed up unless it's for survival mainly. Even population control bugs me; it wouldn't be out of control if humans were more conscious in regards to developments which displace animals, food, etc.

You may have missed it, but I believe I made a pretty good touch on why there is a difference between hunting for 'sport' and 'poaching'. Poaching is:
    "Sociological and criminological research on poaching indicates that in North America people poach for commercial gain, home consumption, trophies, pleasure and thrill in killing wildlife, or because they disagree with certain hunting regulations, claim a traditional right to hunt, or have negative dispositions toward legal authority."

Hunting for sport is not "I'm so glad I get to shoot something" but imagine it as the excitement of the hunt. You wouldn't be into the trophy of a sports event if it was just handed to you, you'd like to work to get it at least, and hunting is just like that: work. Sure, calls can make it easier, but the forests aren't exactly tripping over deer. Just how fishing can be seen as a 'sport'; it's not the holding of the fish that is the sport, it's the struggle to succeed that is the sport. Much like it's the struggle to find the deer, track it (don't make sound by the way) and succeed.

Sport = reward is the hunt. Poaching = reward is the trophy. Hunting for sport yields meat and other useful items that are used. Poaching is just for any reason without giving a proper reason, like, you could just be glad you got to shoot at something with your gun and kill it, and that's not what 'hunting for sport' is all about. 'Hunting' for the pure sake of killing is not 'hunting'.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I don't like hunting for sport, although I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I think taxidermy can be really fascinating.

I know a lot of people who hunt for food though considering where I live in Michigan lol. It's pretty common for people to hunt deer to have venison to store in a deep freezer to eat throughout the winter, though. I don't have any opposition at all against that, considering it helps to maintain the population and I'd much rather have the deer be hunted and used to feed a family than to end up on the side of the highway. :\

I see that there's a little debate about how many hunters actually eat the meat - I can vouch first hand that in the past (vegetarian, now) I've eaten venison jerk and venison chili from a deer that my cousin hunted. He kills it and cleans it, his wife cooks with it. There was also a corner store that had a side room specifically for skinning and cleaning deer that hunters were bringing back from trips. It's an extremely common practice.

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Hunting for sport is not "I'm so glad I get to shoot something" but imagine it as the excitement of the hunt. You wouldn't be into the trophy of a sports event if it was just handed to you, you'd like to work to get it at least, and hunting is just like that: work. Sure, calls can make it easier, but the forests aren't exactly tripping over deer. Just how fishing can be seen as a 'sport'; it's not the holding of the fish that is the sport, it's the struggle to succeed that is the sport. Much like it's the struggle to find the deer, track it (don't make sound by the way) and succeed.

Sport = reward is the hunt. Poaching = reward is the trophy. Hunting for sport yields meat and other useful items that are used. Poaching is just for any reason without giving a proper reason, like, you could just be glad you got to shoot at something with your gun and kill it, and that's not what 'hunting for sport' is all about. 'Hunting' for the pure sake of killing is not 'hunting'.

If that's the case, it falls under the "necessity" category I talked about and is thus acceptable :pink_nod: but some individuals do consider going out and killing things for fun as "sport" whereas "poaching" is mostly seen as regional - elephants, tigers, etc. - as it is usually a term strictly associated with endangered species, etc. I think that's why no one looks at that difference due to its application.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Then you should buy free range chicken if you don't agree with it. I don't have to pick one, I can choose to participate in neither.
    It's a far more effective strategy to actually participate in politics. I don't agree with it, I'll vote for people who don't agree with it, but not enough to pay more. If I commit every resource into a single section of politics then other things I care about.
    How?

Back