• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your thoughts on hunting?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

I think both hunting and industrial slaughter are equally inhumane. How does hunting add to the dead animals? The slaughter house will continue the slaughter whether you hunt or not. When the store doesn't sell all it's meat they throw it in the trash and don't give it a second thought, they don't call up the slaughterhouse and tell them to shut down their machines. "what if I went out to hunt a pheasant and didn't get one that day" again, you say this as if there is a direct correlation to how much animals are killed by hunting and how much are killed in the slaughterhouse. "I'm taking a stand against the systematic slaughter of animals by going out and shooting even more animals unnecessarily."

I said I would support a full transition to hunting over industrial slaughter because it's a far more environmentally friendly method of acquiring meat, but the way our society is built means no it's not going to happen, and yes there are battles too big. I'm not talking about getting a few more free range eggs sold, I'm talking about the complete halt of all meat processing. That's what I want to see, and that's why I said it's too big of a goal.

"Have you ever been hunting before, it's not too exciting" then why does anybody do it? It's clearly a hobby, because it's clearly not a necessity. You even say in the second part of your post that the whole purpose of it is because it's a sport which completely contradicts your previous point. If it's sport you're after then there are plenty of other alternatives that don't require slaughter, and that's why people take issue with it.

It's a far more effective strategy to actually participate in politics. I don't agree with it, I'll vote for people who don't agree with it, but not enough to pay more. If I commit every resource into a single section of politics then other things I care about.

How?
    Who said anything about politics?

If you have no issue with eating meat, then by all means, hunt your food. That's your decision, and whilst I may not agree with it, go and do you your thing. But please do not pretend that you're doing a favour to the environment, or that you're somehow helping animals or taking a stand against the meat industry, because you aren't

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Who said anything about politics?

What exactly is the point of eating free-range chicken? To make a statement you don't support the meat industry? How is that statement not part of politics, a statement showing your opinion on a social issue?

If you have no issue with eating meat, then by all means, hunt your food. That's your decision, and whilst I may not agree with it, go and do you your thing. But please do not pretend that you're doing a favour to the environment, or that you're somehow helping animals or taking a stand against the meat industry, because you aren't

Who said anything about doing a favor to the environment, helping animals, or taking a stand against the meat industry? You need to re-read my first post in this thread. I never argued sport hunting helps the environment, helps animals, or takes a stand to the meat industry, nor will I ever. I argue that we have as much right to kill a deer as the natural world does. What makes us not part of nature? Are we just that much of an apex predator? We still breathe. We still eat. We still die. We are not gods to the other species of this planet. What makes a wolf allowed to take the lives of deer, but not us?

Hunting is unsuccessful quite often. After all, if you got a kill every time, then there's no fun, and the only people who would hunt would be blood-thirsty psychopaths. Deer are faster than a human, much more alert, and intelligent enough to know when something's trying to kill it. Guns do not mean we can walking into a forest with a machinegun ripped off a helicopter and lay waste to every living thing within 1000 meters in the amount of time it takes to unload a clip. Not only are guns hard to handle for accurate shooting unless the shot is stable, the shoot is properly ranged, ect. but hunters rarely take massive machineguns to the forests. It's rare they even take ARs. Hunting specific weaponry is far less effective than you would imagine, assuming the hunter is even using a modern firearm. Classic weaponry such as lever-actions or even black powder rifles give hunters challenge, if they aren't using a straight up bow and arrow.

Besides, why should deer not be killed? They are vastly overpopulated, public property destroyers, and get violent when cornered. There is no possibility of domesticating deer without generations of selective breeding, and that's assuming that we can replace every deer in the wild with a domesticated counterpart. They are not saints, and do not want to be. What ethics would protect these creatures? please say "cause killing things is wrong, I have an amazing rebuttal".

EDIT: You never said how, by the way. I guess that means you don't have any argument to back up your claims of "Eating shot game makes people assholes", unless you want to prove me wrong.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    What exactly is the point of eating free-range chicken? To make a statement you don't support the meat industry? How is that statement not part of politics, a statement showing your opinion on a social issue?
    I wasn't talking about myself.
    Who said anything about doing a favor to the environment, helping animals, or taking a stand against the meat industry? You need to re-read my first post in this thread. I never argued sport hunting helps the environment, helps animals, or takes a stand to the meat industry, nor will I ever. I argue that we have as much right to kill a deer as the natural world does. What makes us not part of nature? Are we just that much of an apex predator? We still breathe. We still eat. We still die. We are not gods to the other species of this planet. What makes a wolf allowed to take the lives of deer, but not us?
    I need to re-read your first post? I wasn't even directing anything at you mate apart from "who said anything about politics" when I said I can choose not to participate, I meant in consuming and purchasing meat, not remaining politically apathetic.

We defied nature the moment we started using tools pal; you're a good example of exactly what I'm complaining about. You are not being "one with nature" when you pull a trigger on your gun. You don't need to hunt animals to survive. You can go to the store and buy your meat from animals that have been born and bred in captivity and their sole purpose is to die for our benefit. It's a fact of modern life and the morality of that is a different discussion. What you are doing is going out and killing an animal that would have otherwise led a free life, you are just causing more death for the sake of your hobby or preference, and not out of hunger or necessity.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your argument about the effectiveness of weapons. If anything the systematic slaughter is more humane in that respect because it's a sure and instant death. When you start hunting and hit, but fail to kill, you're bringing about a painful death; and sometimes it'll be able to get away and die later. You got a kill, but you lost the animal so it died for nothing. Not to mention all the people that just hunt for fun and don't even use their kill, which there are plenty of.

Besides, why should deer not be killed? They are vastly overpopulated, public property destroyers, and get violent when cornered. There is no possibility of domesticating deer without generations of selective breeding, and that's assuming that we can replace every deer in the wild with a domesticated counterpart. They are not saints, and do not want to be. What ethics would protect these creatures? please say "cause killing things is wrong, I have an amazing rebuttal".

Yeah it's 'cause I think killing is wrong. That's it. "they are not saints and get violent when cornered." hahaha sounds like a typical inner city youth let's have them put down also. I know they're overpopulated, I know they need culling. The result of humanity's impact on the ecosystem, of course, but again that's a different matter. I was never specifically talking about deer anyway; I'm more concerned about the many species that are threatened and the fact that in the past other species have gone extinct as the direct result of hunting.

EDIT: You never said how, by the way. I guess that means you don't have any argument to back up your claims of "Eating shot game makes people assholes", unless you want to prove me wrong.
    Clearly I wasn't serious. I even said that before, but looks like you got upset by it.

Going to the store to buy your meat? Your choice, I respect that.

Going out to hunt animals? I don't agree with it because you're killing extra animals when we've already got plenty grinding up in the machines to meet your needs. But again, that's your choice.

The thing that really gets to me is this pretentious attitude a lot of people have about hunting. That it's more romantic, more natural. There is nothing natural about going out and shooting animals. You aren't being more like the native Americans. You aren't somehow better than a guy who goes to McDonalds. If anything I have more respect for a guy in Maccy's because he's just hungry; and not getting a thrill out of shooting stuff. That's all it is, a hobby for people who are trigger happy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    This is a really long post, so have some spoiler tags. One for each counterpoint.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

1. I represent nobody other than myself. 2. I made that statement because you thought I was directing a specific sentence at you when I wasn't.

3. I believe you were the one who made the link to natural order by saying "If wolves can kill a deer, why can't I?" but your little anecdote about tools seems to suggest the opposite. We're not like wolves, I think you're smart enough to realise that; so why the make the connection? You're just making a non-sensical appeal to the natural order of things, when our higher level of thinking and use of tools means we can't place ourselves on that level. That was why I brought it up, I didn't think I needed to spell it out that plainly.

4. So you admit it's just a hobby. Great.

5. "Pain, from bullets?" This is golden, but ultimately you're saying nothing here apart from "It's not that bad getting shot, promise!" Good one.

6. I was clearly poking fun at your choice of description. No... I wasn't talking about black people... not all urban populations are predominantly black you know. Nice try though.
    Hunting seasons are not quite when it's deemed far above "comfortable" so no need to feel threatened about these extremely aggressive deer you've been talking about. It's when they're most ample in number, yes, not "above comfortable levels" Okay I didn't differentiate between hunting and poaching, I'll give you that. That's not to say that species aren't hunted until it's low enough in number to be deemed poaching.

7, 8. Again, you say it's the sport. So the whole idea that it's for food and with the intention of using the carcass can be thrown out the window then? Good. To quote a wise man: "Please, read my posts. Having to quote myself is redundant."
    I said in my previous post that it's clearly just a hobby and not anything more. That much is obvious, I was complaining about the people that try and dress it up as something else. But you're not counting yourself among them.

So here's a bigger complaint; why don't you go and get your adrenaline rush elsewhere and stop killing things? But then again, caring about sentient life is clearly not your specialty; you made that clear earlier with your mocking "I suppose you'll say killing is bad." I'm not going to say all hunters are trigger hungry psychopaths because that would be a bit too extreme, but it's a big part of the gun loving culture and I'm not a big fan of that myself.

9. Previous post "jokes aside"

10. Nice poem

They call me Brandon Lee

don't u look at my girlfriend
    Years
    Hunting for food is cool in my book. If you hunt for taxidermy please consume the critter you killed, if you're hunting for sport you've just wasted a perfectly good life, congratulations.

I'd probably never do it but yeah, I actually prefer people eating hunted meat over meat at the store because at least you know it lived a good life where it could basically do anything it wanted to

Back