• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What Ball Did You Use To Catch Lugia/Ho-Oh?

dozo

party hardy
Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Master ball for Lugia. It may have been wasted (better used for Mewtwo?), but meh. I didn't care enough to try.

Fithboy

The Lego Man
    Years
  • For Ho-oh I caught it in a fast ball (I think), for Lugia I just 50 ultra balls and caught it on number 39 or summit, Kyogre took ages but I eventually got it in a heavy ball, Raiku and Entei both in ultra balls, Mewtwo in the master ball and I have caught Latias yet.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I caught Lugia with a Dive Ball and Ho-Oh with a Luxury Ball. I tried to go with balls that fit their colour scheme and general appearance. I failed in Ho-Oh's case, in the end I went for a Luxury ball to compliment Ho-Oh's grand-ish appearance.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    i caught them both in dusk balls since my 30 ultraballs didnt work on anyone
    and im having a little trouble catching entei and raiku i hate them for fleeing such cowards

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • A video on youtube inspired me to try capturing all of the legendaries with Poke Balls. I have captured Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, the Regi Trio, Kyogre, and Rayquaza with Pokeballs.

I caught Lugia and Suicune with Pokeballs, and Ho-oh with an ultra ball (Grr, that guy was so annoying)

Years
  • I caught ho-oh in a luxury ball after a couple of times throwing a quick ball then luxury ball and resetting if it didn't work (only a couple!)

I caught entei and suicune with quick balls, using a total of eight for both (weakening them and putting them to sleep, then letting them escape, then throwing balls on next encounter)

in diamond (want to mention this because this is when I realized the awesomeness of quick balls) I used a quick ball for dialga. only one. no resetting.

in my opinion, poke balls, great balls,and ultra balls are stupid, when it comes to hard-to-catch pokemon. you need so many of them, and so much time is wasted. quick balls are far more efficient, the best if you're willing to reset a few times. and they're especially good for roamers. and so are other balls, like (to my surprise, I didn't think this would work for ho-oh, at full health) the luxury ball. then there's the heavy ball and the timer ball and etc... but ultra balls: no. a waste in game memory, imo (well maybe not, they're ok for regular wild pokemon, but you get what I mean)

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I bought about 40 Dusk Balls to catch Lugia with, but I ended up catching it on the 2nd ball. O_o'

For Ho-oh, I think I got SUPER lucky when catching it. After getting it down to 1HP with False Swipe, I put it asleep and threw about 7 Ultra Balls before I decided to try something else. I threw a Premier Ball at it and caught it. :D

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2021
    The infamous Masterball. I cloned it several times to make obtaining the legendaries a smooth process.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    The infamous Masterball. I cloned it several times to make obtaining the legendaries a smooth process.

"Satoshi Tajiri wants to smack the **** out of your Nintendo DS!"

GOG TOXIC

Competetive n00b
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2010
    I buy about a thousand pokeballs and just keep throwing them. Caught giratina with one at full health
    Lugia and Ho-Oh I caught with pokeballs

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pretty sure I used a Great Ball. I remember I caught Ho-Oh during the song "I Made It", so I named the Ho-Oh "Success". XD; I didn't really wanna catch it cause I enjoyed the cutscene, though. Lugia, I can't really remember, though probably a Great Ball, too, because I hate using Ultra Balls and I wouldn't waste a Master Ball on it~

Back