• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What computer are you using?

MaStalee

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2011
    Dell Studio XPS. 12 GB of RAM and an i7 :

I love it, it is sooo fast and handles everything I throw at it.

Years
    Nice find, eMacs are fairly good workhorses. Slap Tiger on it and it should run well. Leopard is a bit more taxing on the older PPC machines, mostly due to its being optimized for Intel macs. Install tiger and you could set it up as a file/print server. (obviously for file server you may want a few USB HDDS with it.) or you could use it as a download computer.

Yeah, but one thing that really gets to me is that it can't use newer software, such as iTunes 10 or Safari 5. The latter means that it doesn't have the great HTML5 performance that could really help with video playback.

One thing that I really didn't see coming was the issue with finding the room to have it. One would think, being an all-in-one unit, that it would be easy to give it somewhere to inhabit, but in fact it's so deep that I'm using it on the desk with the keyboard on my lap. :P

I'm thinking of upgrading the hell out of it. It can take 2GB RAM and the CPU can be overclocked from 1.25GHz to at least 1.6GHz via playing with resistors. It should cope a lot better with Leopard at 1.4GHz and 2GB. It will take any IDE HDD, but they're expensive and hard to find. The last problem is the constant fan noise, if it were to act as a server. Some people have used variable resistor fan controllers on them with a lot of success.

And I know that if the logic board ever dies, it could be a fun project to fully update it. Put an ITX hackintosh board in there and replace the screen with an LCD. :D I could ever shorten the back, lol.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
    HP-Pavilion p6228p
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    AMD Athlon II Quad core
    8 gigs of RAM
    600 gigs of Hard drive

Runs Half-Life 2 and episodes well, but cooling system bails under some dust and GPU overheats to 120* C, but easily cools when dust is removed.

Years
    HP-Pavilion p6228p
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    AMD Athlon II Quad core
    8 gigs of RAM
    600 gigs of Hard drive

Runs Half-Life 2 and episodes well, but cooling system bails under some dust and GPU overheats to 120* C, but easily cools when dust is removed.
    HP has always had horrible thermal design. What's the graphics card?

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    My computer is a
    Compaq
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core processor 4000+
    2.11 GHz,4GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4350(Upgraded Video Card)DDR2 512 MB

Was a Windows Vista but i downgraded it to Windows Xp Professional.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    With how bad Vista is that could be considered a upgrade.

What model?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    My computer is a
    Compaq
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core processor 4000+
    2.11 GHz,4GB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4350(Upgraded Video Card)DDR2 512 MB

Was a Windows Vista but i downgraded it to Windows Xp Professional.

What model?
    Based upon the specs, Vista should run just fine on it, Vista was only really bad during its tenure with only SP0 to SP1, since SP2 it's actually been pretty good. I'd wager Windows 7 would perform just as well as XP on that hardware.

Years
    HPs are awful at staying cool when the dust accumulates on the heat sink for the CPU. You get marked performance improvements with them just by simply cleaning the dust out of your HP system, even moreso than other brands or even custom rigs.

What model?

Unless it was a 64-bit version. Then there's also the drastic (albeit highly ineffective within 6-12 months of its initial release) security improvements in Vista that make using Vista better than using XP. AND VISTA WASN'T THAT BAD. SERIOUSLY. I don't see why people still hate on it. It's drastically more stable than using XP.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    The computer is posted above was my grandmother and i put windows 7 on hers and it runs smoothly and i also put it on my which is a little older but has a better graphics card and less ram and runs good but is low on ram because it only had 512mb.

Years
    HPs are awful at staying cool when the dust accumulates on the heat sink for the CPU. You get marked performance improvements with them just by simply cleaning the dust out of your HP system, even moreso than other brands or even custom rigs.

Unless it was a 64-bit version. Then there's also the drastic (albeit highly ineffective within 6-12 months of its initial release) security improvements in Vista that make using Vista better than using XP. AND VISTA WASN'T THAT BAD. SERIOUSLY. I don't see why people still hate on it. It's drastically more stable than using XP.
    Provided the computer is not too old to handle it properly, Vista is far better than XP. Some people just can't cope with change or have an outdated system.

And the next person to say "XP is better for gaming" needs to be shot. Just no. Unless you're playing DOS games, in which case Win95 is better.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I would argue that point since i have a few games made for XP that refuse to run in vista/7 no matter what compatability options i use.

Anyway, 7>XPsp3>Vista>XPsp2

Years
    I would argue that point since i have a few games made for XP that refuse to run in vista/7 no matter what compatability options i use.

I have a few games like this, too, but I still have to rate it like so:

7 64-bit > Vista 64-bit > 7 32-bit > XP > Vista 32-bit in terms of gaming (since XP uses fewer resources than Vista 32-bit), but Vista 32-bit is still better than XP for general usage.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919
    Windows Vista Home Basic (later upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium)
    2GB RAM/140 GB hard drive
    ...and I have it for almost two years.

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I am using my main design machine for a primary computer for now.
    It is just one I put together.

dizzyKitty

The Confuzzled Coding Cat
    Years
    I bought a Toshiba Protege r705 from Best Buy last week. I'm in love with it. <3 It's 3.2 lbs, only about a 1/2 lb heavier than the Macbook Air, but it has an optical drive, so I can still burn CDs and watch movies. -w-

Years
    PC Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz (with coolermaster fan ready for stable 3.8 overclock)
    6144MB RAM DDR3 1600mhz (Tripple Channel DDR3)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    500GB HDD, 2TB HDD

Build it myself, its getting almost year old so i think soon will be time to upgrade graphic card, i was thinking about ram memory as well, but even after using computer to edit videos and pictures i dint find need for more memory

Laptop Specs:
    Acer Aspire 5551-2384
    15.6" HD LED LCD
    AMD Athlon II X2 P320 @ 2.1ghz
    4GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
    Win-7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    250GB HDD

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    PC Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Intel Core i7-920 @ 2.67GHz (with coolermaster fan ready for stable 3.8 overclock)
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    500GB HDD, 2TB HDD

Build it myself, its getting almost year old so i think soon will be time to upgrade graphic card, i was thinking about ram memory as well, but even after using computer to edit videos and pictures i dint find need for more memory

I'd update the graphics - everything else is killer.

Years
    PC Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    500GB HDD, 2TB HDD

You'll be pushing it to try and cool a 3800 MHz i7 on anything Coolermaster has to offer. They're great for cooler quads, like the i5s and Phenoms, but the heavily OCed i7s pump out some serious heat, especially with hyperthreading. Also, keep in mind that adding another 3 DIMMs of ram will stress the integrated memory controller, causing more heat again.

Anyway, the memory is fine. I have 8GB and it's definitely overkill. 6GB is plenty unless you're running several VMs, and even then, most people just say they use VMs to justify having the extra, when they don't actually have a legitimate reason to run them. *glares at a few people here* :cer_laugh:

I'd be updating the GPU, yes. Depending on what you're looking at spending, the GTX 560 Ti is looking very promising. It would be just over twice as fast as the 250. You'll notice that much more than a RAM upgrade.
    Very nice, by the way.

I'd update the graphics - everything else is killer.

Yep.

Loving my new AMD 6950, by the way, but I'm thinking I'll need a new case, as it's really pushed for space with the new card at 27cm/11.5".

Thinking that my next upgrade will be a white Corsair 600T case and H70 cooler. I still don't trust SSDs enough yet. :P

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    PC Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    500GB HDD, 2TB HDD

Laptop Specs:
    Acer Aspire 5551-2384
    15.6" HD LED LCD
    AMD Athlon II X2 P320 @ 2.1ghz
    4GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
    Win-7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    250GB HDD
    Your bottleneck is the graphics card. The processor is overpowered, you're not going to be putting that thing to work for a few more years at least. An i5-750 would be a better fit for this build (760 wasn't out a year ago).

Back