• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What could have been better in X/Y?

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
  • The story was a huge disappointment, quite frankly. Nowhere near as polished or substantial as what Gen V gave us. That's not to say it wasn't still a solid game, but it kind of felt like going for some rhubarb pie after having just finished with some apple.

I know! It felt to me like making the Pokémon franchise fully three-dimensional ate up all of GameFreak's resources, leaving the company with few people left to work on the story. Not only was Generation V's story better, but all earlier generations' were as well!

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah, I've seen a lot of people make complaints about that. ): Even after you turn Exp. Share off, difficulty still remains a little easy. In the next installment, would be great if they could have us set difficultly from title screen, where you select "new game," "continue," etc.

The ability to change such a difficulty setting from the 'Options' screen would be nice, too.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • More fairy type conversions. I'm not a huge fairy fan, but having more previous generations' pokemon, especially dainty legendaries, get fairy would be nice.

I was half expecting to see Celebi get 'Fairy' typing as a replacement for his 'Psychic' typing (I've always felt that 'Psychic' typing should be reserved for the big boys — Mewtwo, I'm looking at you — ; Celebi's just too doggone cute!)

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • For me Pokemon should take a leaf out of MMOs and what Destiny is doing by updating it and using expansions rather than different games. I think Pokemon is one of those few franchises that would be perfect as a "service" game rather than yearly installment.

I think that only the generational remakes should become SaaS ('Software as a Service.')

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    i found the story way too short and i honestly didn't get it like i did with the other generation games but i think the new fairy type is an improvement, makes you think more about using dragon moves all the time

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I find it really annoying that the pokedex doesn't let you see each pokemon in it's full 3D glory on the top screen, only a tiny picture that you can't move and rotate like you can on the bottom screen. Not only that but it covers the pokemon in those annoying grey dots to make it look more like a real pokedex, stoopid.
    I KNOW! It is SO annoying. Especially since I use the Pokedex often for art reference. The dots make it more difficult to see.

My complaints are similar to others. I was disappointed by the story in which very little happens until one section near the end in which everything is awesome... and then nothing happens again. There's a lot of padding between the first and second gym. The rivals are way inferior characters (not to mention, having really silly designs that just annoyed me) in comparison to Cheren and Bianca (especially Bianca) who were two rivals who I actually cared about. So much potential, so much wasted.

The three dimensions are a bit awkward as well. Navigating around on those rollarskates can get kind of... out of control. It'd be great if they just eliminated the grid for forms of non-highspeed travel. We don't really need it in a 3D game. They could've also taken advantage of the 3D by having more three dimensional camera angles than the typical top-down of Pokemon games that we're used to. I personally would like it if they used a similar camera style to 3D Final Fantasy games. It'd make it easier to navigate in this new space with a sense of height.

And the difficulty, of course. Easy, and when you turn off the EXP Share, you're too underleveled. They designed the game with the expectation that you use it, and then made things way too easy. Also, I preferred the EXP system from B/W where Pokemon at lower levels received more experience from fighting higher leveled ones.

Then walking Pokemon! I'd love it if they followed you out of battle like in HG/SS. Don't get me wrong. I love Amie. Amie is great. But combining that WITH Amie? It'd just make things feel so much more lifelike. They have 3D models now so once they've designed all the overworld models, it wouldn't be too difficult to just keep reusing them. Don't even have to redraw them for animations over and over again.

Speaking of Amie, I think they should just combine the Amie system with Happiness. It's kind of a redundant thing, to be honest.

And I miss the Audino shaking grass patches from B/W as well. I thought that was an awesome idea. Great for grinding. Not that it was too difficult to grind in this generation, but maybe for post-game grinding if you have some baby Pokemon you've hatched out of eggs or something, combined with the level discrepancy bonus... it'd get a hell of a lot easier. :3

Lastly, give us more of a reason to use Grass-types. I know they got a bit of a boost, but I think they should take it further. If you're tweaking the type chart, you might as well fix things even further. Maybe make their attacks neutral on Dragon-types or something. I mean, Grass-types are basically inferior because Water and Electric-types cover their strengths without having as many weaknesses. And that's a shame because I love Grass-types.

But again, as others have said, they were probably just using a lot of time on getting into 3D. I think things will improve in the next game, where they'll have a better grasp of things and be able to improve generally everything overall.

If you mashed this game with B/W and HG/SS, you'd have the near-ideal Pokemon game in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2015
    All I really want is rebattlable trainers. That is all- defeating the Elite Four again and again gets boring after a while.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    This, absolutely agreed. While I think some of the cries are hilarious (I really like Psyduck's modified cry hahahaha), there were some that completely ruined certain Pokemon for me. Notable ones include Raichu, Dugtrio, Pelipper, Karrablast, Shelmet, Sudowoodo, Skarmory, Corphish, Haxorus and Staryu.

Let's not forget how utterly ♥♥♥♥♥♥ the new cry for Charizard is as well now. There's simply no excuse whatsoever for that level of ear rape.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I was really disappointed by the fact there was practically no post-game and that there were hardly any legendaries to catch. After B2 / W2, this was a like a slap to the face. I hope they improve these in the sequel game because they need to happen.

Years
  • Let's not forget how utterly ♥♥♥♥♥♥ the new cry for Charizard is as well now. There's simply no excuse whatsoever for that level of ear rape.

At least it's not too similar to Rhydon anymore. That's the plus for me.

I was really disappointed by the fact there was practically no post-game and that there were hardly any legendaries to catch. After B2 / W2, this was a like a slap to the face. I hope they improve these in the sequel game because they need to happen.

The first games of a new generation are always expected to lack significant postgame compared to sequels/third versions/remakes. It's a trick done to encourage you to get the said sequel, third version or remake.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Don't you mean Rhyhorn? Either way it sounded cool as hell though even if the cry was being shared now. Speaking of Rhydon, forgot to mention that cry was butchered too.

Years
  • I don't mind the postgame but there were some things that bothered me quite a lot, haha.

1) Sort PC alphabetically/by Pokedex #/and etc. As a collector and perfectionist I would use the hell out of this.
    2) Get rid of those annoying PSS ads. :( No one likes them. And c'mon, I have 8 badges and 718 Pokemon; I'm aware Wonder Trade exists.
    3) More bag options. Lumping Pokeballs with other items made going through it way too confusing.
    4) Register usable items. I'm happy registering my repels for quick use, yes I am.

Last edited:

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
  • And the difficulty, of course. Easy, and when you turn off the EXP Share, you're too underleveled. They designed the game with the expectation that you use it, and then made things way too easy. Also, I preferred the EXP system from B/W where Pokemon at lower levels received more experience from fighting higher leveled ones.

Well I don't know about you but personally I went through the entire game without touching the Exp Share and I never really had a problem with being underleveled, so I don't think a "damned if you do, bored if you don't" situation was really created. Still, I definitely do agree that the difficulty level was much too low in comparison to past generations - Diantha in particular may as well not have shown up for the final battle because she was about as scary as someone you'd meet on Route 2...

I didn't really do much with the B2B2 post-game so I can't really complain about Kalos but it did feel a bit barebones so wouldn't complain about a bit of fleshing out. Move tutors are always welcome too of course!

Personally I'd just like more areas to explore post-game. The new town was nice but an island or something would be better. Particularly if it had lots of non-Kalos pokémon, hidden abilities etc.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    Everything redarding story and single player content. Difficulty levels would have been a nice addition.​

Years
  • The GTS hasn't changed much since DP in terms of features and is due an update. Obviously I agree that the post game was poor considering how well it was done in Gen 5, it would have been cool if the Looker missions sent you all over Kalos instead of trudging around Lumiose City. Also one of the biggest things I miss in Pokemon is how the rivals used to be, Gary was always annoying you and really made me want to beat him and obviously your rival in Johto stole a pokemon and didn't care about any that he caught which once again made me want to defeat him.

However, now it's all about friendship (I know the game has a friendlier feel but comon) and realistically I didn't enjoy having more than one 'rival' (if they can even be considered rivals).

Years
  • I was greatly disappointed with the lack of Challenge Mode, move tutors (other than the ones who taught moves to species/types), and Pokemon League rematch teams. (Battling them in the Chateau doesn't count since they still use the same Pokemon and have fewer Pokemon than normal.) In regards to CM + rematches, even without using Amie or the Exp. Share the games were really easy and I hardly got a challenge out of them.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I hated that everyone had like...no pokemon. Whatever happened to 6 man teams?

Its been mentioned before, but the game was just too easy. Id like to blame it on the EXP Share, but in all honesty, it didnt make a difference, since if I had turned it off, the same thing would have happened.

I chose Chespin, and he was first on my team for the whole game. I accidentally nuzlocked, because I beat the entire game without switching him out once, he never fainted. He had a move set that killed pretty much anything super effectively, and I thought he leveled too easily. Granted, he was in every single battle, but still, not a single challenge through the entire game aside from maybe facing rivals psychic moved delphox due to evolved chespins fighting type.

The gyms were tedious a couple times, hated climbing that tree, but I think overall they were still much better than some of the older game gyms. To be honest, I really just miss Pewter City Gym - battle the trainer if you want, if not, walk around him, no annoying puzzle, just fight. Leave puzzles for side game things, honestly hate them. Maybe it was sapphire that had the annoying bird gym with the stupid door things I hated, forget which game had the water and the buttons to lower and raise water level. Absolutely hate that stuff.

Battle Chateau is both great and absolutely terrible at the same time. I am a Grand Duke, why oh why do I ever have to challenge a crappy baron ever. I absolutely hate it, and theres not really any way of knowing what you are facing, since even some of the well dressed old gents are only baron or viscount. I really want to limit it to fighting dukes, so I wish that was a possibility.

In fact, to make up for the complete lack of post game, I wish they would just introduce a player controlled form of post game leveling and fighting. Give us something like the BC, but allow us to choose trainer levels - even if if its basic, like 1-10, 11-20, 21-30.
    Let us choose the levels, have it include all pokemon (appropriately evolved for level, since even if I pay 300k to raise levels at BC, Im still fighting level 35 riolu's and stuff, get like 600 exp, pointless).

It would be something similar to battle Maison even, or any of those post game challenges, but allow us to level up there. I hate battling for hours without getting anything other than BP's - I want levels!

Years
  • I felt like the maps were too simple. It wouldn't have hurt to add more diverse scenery to the routes. At the beginning of the game, each route came off as bland and boring. They may have thought that the 3D graphics would compensate, but I still think more could have gone into the mapping. It would've been extremely efficient to allow registering usable items like Repels. That would've saved me tons of tedious extra minutes.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Sadly, XY to me had too many missed opportunities. I have a few more qualms than these, but here are my main ones:

The story was severely lacking. The characters were hollow shells and there is nothing memorable about them except for their designs, but that only goes so far. Lysandre is the only complex character, and even he had a lot of missed opportunities to really enhance how tragic he was. At the end of the game
    Spoiler:
    I almost cried...but then I realized, "Why do I care?" The character in question is thrown almost haphazardly into the game to begin with. Their attention to detail is still superb, very much so
    Spoiler:
    and the plot itself has the opportunity to delve into very interesting realms, but that doesn't salvage it from the disappointing "characters."

The difficulty is also a bit of an issue. I understand that Game Freak wants the games to be more accessible now that people don't have all the time to sit down and play as they used to, but I feel they took it a bit too far. Turn off Exp. Share? Sure. Once my Pokémon hit, what, 4 hearts in Amie they will start gaining boosted experience anyways. What, you're going to tell me to not use Amie, after everyone has been waiting years to be able to pet their Pokémon?! Well fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the Gym Leaders only ever have 3 Pokémon each. You can inflict artificial difficulty on yourself all you want, but that doesn't make the experience gaining method any less broken. Anyone can make the game "more of a challenge" by going on a solo Caterpie run, but the game itself isn't any more challenging, really.

My last major qualm is that PokéDex. B2W2 had that amazing area feature, and in XY we have the most overpopulated routes in any Pokémon game ever, and they removed that feature! The area feature would have been so welcomed in this game it's not even funny! I had a hard time completing my Kalos PokéDex because there were so many Pokémon on each route I couldn't even find all of them, and I had no way of knowing if I had found everything possible on the route. Yes, you can just look it up online, but to me a game should be completable without the use of guides, and because of the downgraded PokéDex, it just wasn't.

Years
  • I think the story was supposed to be "simple" and all, I read somewhere that they wanted to bring back the "simplicity" of the first games, Red & Blue.

Anyway, one thing that could've been better is the "Egg Moves" and Move Tutors. And I am pretty sure that non-Kalos Pokemon are going to be banned from tournaments so it's gonna be a problem for those who brought legit Pokemon from Gen 5 or Gen 4 etc..

Back