• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

• Used it in my team as a main member

Votes: 96 23.7%
  • HM slave

Votes: 83 20.5%
  • Boxed, never to see the light again

Votes: 189 46.7%
  • Wait, people caught that thing?

Votes: 37 9.1%

• Total voters

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I caught for pokédex data, then I sent it to rot in the PC. Fortunately, It's now rotting in my White version.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • In Crystal and the original Gold version, it was a member of my team since shiny Pokémon still seemed incredibly exotic back then. In Heart Gold, I boxed it since I already had a reliable water type (Feraligatr).

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I mostly used it as an hm slave. In my water challenge game though I used it as a team member.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I personally go for the catch. I actually used him as a team member, since I really needed a Pokemon that can use Surf if I didn't have Pokemon that can use Surf by that time. Even though Gyara isn't really a Surf user in the competitive scene, in-game it seemed to work out fine.

MMundy777

Aspiring Gym Leader
    Years
  • Never really liked Water types to much, but I used him as a HM slave. With the water types I had, I never really was keen on giving it both Surf and Waterfall, so that's where it came in handy! :)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    He became enslaved to me, doing grueling work such as climbing waterfalls, moving boulders, smashing rocks, and demoted to being a ferry.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • As you can see in my sig, I made him part of my main team! The only reason it's blue in my sig though is because I couldn't find the shiny animation.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • I migrated her (yess...) to my Pokemon White at level 77.
    She's still a good lead Pokemon in White.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Well, although I've never used it in a team (other than one time where I had a two-gyarados red-and-blue team for doubles in the Battle Tower), I've found it's a good pokémon for Jump in the Pokéthlon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    The fact that everyone gets a Shiny Gyarados in the game kind of ruins the appeal, and I feel a Shiny Gyarados is even less awesome than a regular Gyarados, who I've never used. I catch it for the same reasons I catch legendaries, and box him forever. Every time.

Years
  • After reading this i pulled out my violin for my red gyarados coz i went on HG and realised that it hadn't leveled up and it was my HM slave

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I managed to catch it, then I went ahead and boxed the little guy. I didn't see a point in using it in my team since I already have Lanturn and Quagsire on my team that are able to use water-type HMs such as Surf and Whirlpool.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I used him against Clair and kept him on the team for a while. I intend to train him again soon.

Back