• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

• Used it in my team as a main member

Votes: 96 23.7%
  • HM slave

Votes: 83 20.5%
  • Boxed, never to see the light again

Votes: 189 46.7%
  • Wait, people caught that thing?

Votes: 37 9.1%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2014
    I used it all the way to the Elite Four and getting all Kanto Badges. Until I begin serious team building, it will be boxed. Right now it is just a HM slave.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I synchronized a Jolly nature onto it, then put it in the pc and haven't touched it since.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    I captured it for its red scale (and later exp. share) but perhaps it's still sitting there in my pc

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2023
    I'll have to say, I really didn't use him. Well, I did use him as a HM slave tho. But, other then that, nothing, just boxed him.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I caught him, of course, because you sort of feel like you have to. It's one of those things where it's special in that it's not regular-coloured, and there's only one chance to capture it so you feel like if you don't then you've missed out on something. Then once you do catch him you're like "alright... well what now?"

I remember on GSC when the Red Gyarados was such a novelty that everybody used him, but I never did - and here's why: I like my Pokemon's colour to match their type. So I don't like using Water Pokemon that aren't blue, Grass Pokemon that aren't green, Electrics that aren't Yellow/Orange and so on. So following the same principle in the remakes, I caught him and boxed him, and used my regular blue Gyarados on my journey.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Caught, considered using, but prefer Lanturn.
    It was boxed as a trophy since I never originally caught it in Silver or Crystal (I never got Gold), but I may use it sometime, if briefly.

I didn't think people would really bother getting it this time round since the novelty of shinies from the second generation wore off somewhat since.

Last edited:

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I used it on my team. Shinies are still cool, even though this one is always going to be Shiny.

Summersaurus

Rawrr ❤
    Years
  • I caught it from the Lake but already had a water type in my team, my 'NawNaw' the Croconaw so I just put it in the PC.. mine saw light again though when I traded him =3

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2020
    HM slave. Because I don't want to teach whirlpool to a useful Pokemon. Not that Gyarados isn't useful. It's just that I prefer having Slowpoke as my water type.

Years
  • I restarted my Soul Silver game to catch it again with the right nature and then moved it my Black version and then integrated it into my team! :D

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I kept it! It is now like level 80 or something. I really like Gyrados and red is my favorite color. Though its value as a shiny is like zilch.

Beaute

。◕‿◕。
    Years
  • I left it in my box, because I already had a water type in my party.... so I found it pointless. But, it's an awesome shiny! ^^

Back