• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you call the currency?

What do you call the currency?

• Total voters

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
  • Ever wonder what the currency in Pokémon is called? I know that different people call it different names. And also, I'm not really sure if they state it in the anime.

I call it "Poké" because I'm used to that name from Mystery Dungeon.
    What do you call it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I simply call it dollars since I know that it's a vastly different currency than the USD, but I'm too lazy to call it by anything else.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Because it's money in the Pokemon world, I go with "PokeDollars." In the Mystery Dungeon world, I go with "Poke."

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well the only canon where they clearly state the name is, as you said, the Mystery Dungeon Series. While this follows and extravagantly different canon then the Anime or Main Games, it still is canon.

The symbol itself is based off of the Yen, but instead of a Y going through it, it is a P, leading to the common fan name "Pokeyen".

In my fanon I call it in all terms "PK". Mainly because you can't type the actual symbol with a keyboard. In my mind 1.00 PK translates to 1 penny (who would pay 100 dollars for a Pokeball?). But I pronounce it Poké. Good question though. Many people just ignore it, but it's good to see you've brought it up.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Pandesal

W - Luna! Trigger!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011
    Moneys.

Seriously, I call it PokeDollars. Because it makes sense... for me, anyway.

Years
  • Usually I just call the currency "Geld", which translates to nothing else than money. I know its stupid, but I've done it that way for years, so I'm used to it.
    When I'm posting about it, I call it Pokedollars though, which is probably the most common term.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Yen (pronounced "en").

Because that's what it is until it's Americanified.

Although I've been wanting to know if they kept it as "Poke" in the PMD games when released in America and elsewhere, or if they changed that too.

Ayselipera

I've always just called it money. I never added in Dollar, Yen, or Poké. Mainly because I'm pretty sure anytime it's mentioned in the anime or main series games the word money is just used. So I just stick with saying money and never try to pinpoint it to a certain currency type.

Although I will say that I doubt money used by humans in the Pokemon world would be called Poké. I've always seen that as a type of currency only used by Pokemon.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    i personally dont have a name for it. but if i were to call it something id call it pokedollars

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    I call the currency coins. That's just what naturally comes to me i guess you could say.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Usually simply 'money' in context; I've known it as Poké since seeing it be called that and figuring it made fine sense with the way the symbol is a struck-through P.
    PokéDollars just sounds awkward for a game made and set mostly in Japan.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I say "dollars", since I really do not care what currency they are in and yea that's it.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I call it Poke and I think the exchange rate is 100 poke=1 US dollar

Back