• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you call the currency?

What do you call the currency?

• Total voters

monsutafangs

тнαт вσу ιѕ α мσηѕтєя~
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    I call it dollars! ANybody know the actual term though o.e

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
  • Pokémon Dollar is the currency used in all known regions of the Pokémon world. Its symbol is , a P with a double strikethrough, similar to the ¥ symbol used for Japanese yen, with the P symbol referring to Pokémon.

Source

If it really is Pokémon Dollars, you might as well call it PokéDollars 'cause it's shorter. Although, English people such as me might use PokéPounds. :D

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Even though I'm from the United Kingdom, calling the currency 'Pokémon Pounds' or 'PokéPounds' would sound quite off. Instead, I jump on the bandwagon and call it 'Pokémon Dollars' or 'PokéDollars' as it sounds better and it seems to be what everyone else calls it.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Pokémon Dollar is the currency used in all known regions of the Pokémon world. Its symbol is , a P with a double strikethrough, similar to the ¥ symbol used for Japanese yen, with the P symbol referring to Pokémon.

Source

If it really is Pokémon Dollars, you might as well call it PokéDollars 'cause it's shorter. Although, English people such as me might use PokéPounds. :D

It will always be Pokemoney to me......

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • PokéDollars just sounds awkward for a game made and set mostly in Japan.
    Not really...

The symbol itself is based off of the Yen, but instead of a Y going through it, it is a P, leading to the common fan name "Pokeyen".
    Fan term, yes, common, not so much, at least of what I've seen. I've actually never heard that term before.

Anyway, I call it PokeDollars after hearing people use the term on youtube so much.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • In my mind 1.00 PK translates to 1 penny (who would pay 100 dollars for a Pokeball?).

Lol, exactly. Plus since the Pokéball is the weakest ball, it only make sense that one Poké is approximately equivilant to a cent. That's the ONLY reason why PokéDollar doesn't sound right to me.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • Pokedollars. I don't really know why... it just sounds right.

I think Marriland said it or something, maybe that's why.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I just called them dollars when I was a kid. Recently, I use various terms interchangeably. Mostly pokeyen, pokedollar, poke, and pen.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    At one point I actually called in Zenny. Getting Pokemon confused w/ Megaman for a moment. :\ I just call it Poké. Pokedollars is okay too but I prefer the lather. Yen is Japanese currency so no!

Pokemon should get a new currency w/ every new region. Make the game more life-like.

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    I think of it as yen, to be honest, since the exchange rate into dollars is the same. But whenever talking about it I usually use "Pokedollars" since everyone will know what you're talking about whether they use that exact term or not.

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • Depends on what symbols are used. For most, I use PokeDollars or Pokemon Dollars, but usually say '200 P'. PMD, I say Poke. Many times I'll just say something like "Poke Balls are 200".

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I call it by the amount. I just say "oh, i got 250." The currency itself gets no name from me, lol. I don't even call dollars "dollars." I'm rude and name it depending on the amount.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
  • As a young child, I thought it was called "Pokemon Peso", because "Peso" what was we called our currency (and besides, the sign of the currency of the Pokemon world looks a lot like the sign of our own currency). I eventually learned that it was called a "dollar", though, so now I call it that.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • In the main series games, I sometimes call them pounds because I always thought the sign looked like a British pound sign (£).

In the Mystery Dungeon games, I call it Poke because that's what it's referred to in those games.

Back