• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you do with filler Pokemon from Wonder Trade?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
i either send them into wonder trade, or breed them until a shiny comes, then train them. a shiny fletchling may not be worth as much as other shinies, but once its leveled up to a shiny talonflame, that's when its value increases significantly.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
I trade them back in, don't judge but sometimes I'll send one or two days just wondertrading. I've already beat the game once, so It's not like I'm trying really hard to finish it again. XD

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I literally just WT'd five boxes of 4-5IV4EM Pokemon in Rare Balls / with HA, and got two or three Pokemon in return that are actually usable.

If they're high-level males, I keep them for breeding Egg Moves later.

Everything else gets released, unless it's a female in a Rare Ball (that I do not own) or a Pokemon with Egg Moves that I might find useful later.

KatTayle

Cat Pokemon lover
Years
I save them. I get a lot of people offering pokemon I need for my living dex, so I need lots of trade fodder. That or I powersave them and send them back out

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Aside from my completed game (National Dex full) - if it's a Pokemon I don't have in any of my other 6 games, I'll save it for that Poke Dex.

If it's a Pokemon I love (like Zigzagoon which I get often - in my mind "one Zigzagoon isn't enough") I'll save it

Every other Pokemon I don't need I'll just release it.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
Years
most of the time i keep them for loto-id for a masterball. other times, i just re-trade them for new pokemon :3 since some of the kept pokemon i have either have 3ivs or up, egg moves, or hidden abilities. i have some shinys i've gotten via wondertrade too.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Usually dump them in their own species-specific boxes on Bank, but now for at least a few (Froakie, I'm looking at you) I just dump 'em back because good lord! Out of the overtraded species I think Fletchlings and maybe Charmanders are the only ones I think I might have a use for when I get around to breeding them but I have much higher priority things to breed instead, some of which are shinies I want so that'll be quite a while.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
If it's not what I want like a shiny or IV Pokemon it gets Wonder Traded right back out. I just keep the cycle going for the most part.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
I like how people just automatically presume if they get a Fletchling or Bunnelby it's automatic garbage without even hecking if they have Gale Wings or Huge Power or egg moves or something!

Anyway, I keep every single pokemon I get in Wonder trade, then when I am ready to breed that pokemon I scroll through all my PC boxes and collect all the pokemon in the line I am breeding, check them for hidden abilities, egg moves, IVs, etc, then breed that out of the best (it's amazing how many times I want a particular egg move, especially chain bred egg moves, and the "garbage" pokemon (as so many people call them) have the exact egg move I am looking for, the Hidden Ability that I just couldn't find within a horde or have multiple IVs that I am looking for. After that, however, once I have bred the pokemon and I get another from the line I have already bred I just release them.

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
Years
I usually just release as well. I only just found out about lotto ID by looking it up after you all brought it up though. Probably still won't keep them though.

Also, I put up a weedle yesterday and two beedril today. BUT, in my defense, the weedle was a female in a rare love ball and infected with pokerus. Pokerus infections are my new go-to for all wonder trade pokemon, except for the ones I release because I wouldn't want them or see way too many of them and there's nothing to indicate they're special. The Beedril were also pokerus infected and in love balls (only one was female though).

Regardless of knowing that weedil had pokerus and was in a rare ball (and female to pass that ball on) I kinda still felt bad about it (because all you'll know during the trade is dang it, this stupid chick sent me a weedle!).

In short, my go to response for filler pokemon is to release them now (possibly because I'm not sure what this lotto ID thing is) unless they're in rare balls (I haven't studied egg moves to know when those are special yet) and/or have IV markings. For all other pokemon, I'm infecting them with pokerus before sending them back in when I don't want them but think someone else might :D

Oh, and I eventually evolve the scatterbugs and spewpas, then trade the vivillons if it's a pattern I already have and I don't like the name better than my current one of that pattern.

Last edited:
Years
I normally go through Le Wow a few times with them in my party to level the Pokemon up and then send it back through Wonder Trade. If they have interesting names, moves, or regions, I keep them.

Toxic Trainer

Poison Type Prodigy
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
If they are of no use and I can easily catch them, then I release or retrade them. Otherwise I keep them for later use or the lotto id.

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
Years
If their international I'll keep it for breeding purposes as long as I don't all ready have one (has gotten more than one Japanese Zigzagoon over time). Otherwise I go straight back to Wonder Trade and trade them for something else.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
you may or may not believe me.
But I sometimes put up shiny eevees, or extra shiny pokemon that haven't been traded/sold.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
Years
I mostly just trade them again, and hope I get something good, unless it's the rare case where the Pokemon is decent.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm that evilly diabolical person who usually just sends it back through Wonder Trade immediately if I get something crappy. Or, if I'm feeling particularly nice, I'll just go ahead and release it to help save on box space and to spare someone the disappointment of getting yet another level 2-3 Zigzagoon.

Years
I usually just release the junk pokémon. Sometimes if I wondertrade like a 5IV leftover from breeding and get a zigzagoon I will re-trade until I am satisfied with the result. I try not to be a part of the problem on wonder trade, but it's so hard when you trade off usable pokémon and just get zigzagoons that don't even have pickup as their ability.

timemagetim

Timemagetim
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 21, 2015
I send out lots of breeding leftovers and shinies. If I get junk pokemon I release them. Although I occasionally keep four zigzagoon with pickup teach them all strength,surf,cut,rocksmash and then leave the four of them in the daycare and loop on the Mach bike all night. Retrade them in the morning at level 68 or so as useful hm slaves with high level pick up use

Back