• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you look for in a Pokémon Game?

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
Years
  • That is one idea, but just so you know, rmxp and sphere are limited and won't help you that much if you go to make a game on your own later, and you might hit dead ends trying to implement certain features you may want in your game.

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • Come up with interesting minigames that are not in the standard ones.

Maybe A live chase that you use your pokemon for and their speed plays a part in the chase.

Pokemon Racing.

A quest where you need to use a pokemon of a certain size to get by, the quest is like a platformer.

etc.

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    ->

I rest my case.

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • see that, that would be amazing.

Add more squares, make it more of a final fantasy tactics thing where location is more important, and it would be even better.

Darkholme

Keeper of the Pointy
    Years
  • It's an example of adding something different to a pokemon game.

It's using the megaman battle system, for a different type of fight. One in which range, and position matter.
    It's an example of doing something new with pokemon not just the same stuff as is always there.

I mean, it's not totally original, but its new in regards to pokemon.

Mightyena88

Fan of Pikachu
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2009
    What i look for in the game is:
    1.able to choose the starters in either from the four regions:either kanto starters or either johto starters or hoeen starters or sinnoh starters.
    2.more training grounds: grass, caves, sea.
    3.even more trainer battles, double battles
    4.anytime rematch trainer battles
    5.even more realistic animated battles
    6.can find the all-time favorite pokemon e.g: pikachu and some from the 4 regions.
    7. all legendaries available for catch
    8.more apperances from team rocket, magma, aqua.

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
    Years
  • What i look for in the game is:
    1.able to choose the starters in either from the four regions:either kanto starters or either johto starters or hoeen starters or sinnoh starters. Well you cant "choose" them but you can either catch them or obtain them through a quest or receive them for completing a cirtain feat such as completing the pokédex.

2.more training grounds: grass, caves, sea.
    Not sure quite waht you mean there but if you mean bye types of routes like desert and swamp that we havent yet seen in an official pokemon game then yes, that is what i plan to do.

3.even more trainer battles, double battles
    Don't worry, there will be plenty of new types of battles and lots of more people to battle.

4.anytime rematch trainer battles
    Well mabey not anytime but you definantly will be able to regularly re-battle trainers, possibley even gym leaders.

5.even more realistic animated battles
    I also plan on something like this.

6.can find the all-time favorite pokemon e.g: pikachu and some from the 4 regions.
    Well actualy you can travel to most reigons, but a few of the favorites will be there possibly with long awaited evolved or baby forms!

7. all legendaries available for catch
    I am a bit "iffy" about this one because i dont want it to be biased but mabey after a very very long side quest with lots of depth to it you get a chance to battle and potentialy caputure a legendary.

8.more apperances from team rocket, magma, aqua.
    Well i am kinda sick of the traditional teams so i scrached them and have 3 and 3 evil men only apart from appearences of magma and aqua when you travel to honen and other teams when you travel to there own reigon.

I hope that answers all your questions/ideas.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2009
    The things I miss in the official pokemon releases:
    • Main character development. Why do we only get to improve our pokemon? As a fan of more mainstream RPGs I find it almost frustrating not being able to grow the protagonist's abilities. Perhaps the player could gain not levels but a new skillpoint for every X xp, where this trainer xp would be obtained for capturing new types of pokemon, defeating trainers, defeating gym leaders and finishing quests. These could then be used to gain the perks traditionally granted by badges in any order you wish. And there could be other things to invest your points in, like skills that would help (or be required) in finding some of the pokemon. Or they could be used to unlock sidequests to learn abilities like Sabrina-ish mystic powers (that'd be cool), learn to tutor a move, or gain the ability to do some HM moves without pokemon (get a sword to cut, a flashlight for flash, learn how to swim...)

• Some of the stuff seen in the anime. Primarily battles. Some wild pokemon may retaliate or even attack in large numbers (beedril, spearow, diglett...) -so having to battle a lot of wild pokemon at once at some point would be interesting. Then the anime has seen a few gigantic, Godzilla-sized pokemon as well. They'd make for cool optional bosses (being beyond the abilities of a master ball or a heavy ball, of course). On the same note it'd be fun to face of some of those team Rocket mecha.

• More character interactions. Conversing with the NPCs before and after the battle is one of my favourite parts of the games... I'm not saying there's too litle to talk about with the NPCs, but if there was more, it'd make the game more fun for me.

Last edited:

Exiled~Shadow

Years
  • The things I miss in the official pokemon releases:
    • Main character development. Why do we only get to improve our pokemon? As a fan of more mainstream RPGs I find it almost frustrating not being able to grow the protagonist's abilities. Perhaps the player could gain not levels but a new skillpoint for every X xp, where this trainer xp would be obtained for capturing new types of pokemon, defeating trainers, defeating gym leaders and finishing quests. These could then be used to gain the perks traditionally granted by badges in any order you wish. And there could be other things to invest your points in, like skills that would help (or be required) in finding some of the pokemon. Or they could be used to unlock sidequests to learn abilities like Sabrina-ish mystic powers (that'd be cool), learn to tutor a move, or gain the ability to do some HM moves without pokemon (get a sword to cut, a flashlight for flash, learn how to swim...) Well i feal i have some very original ideas in this feild so i dont want to give anything away apart from the fact that, you will probably get what your looking for!

• Some of the stuff seen in the anime. Primarily battles. Some wild pokemon may retaliate or even attack in large numbers (beedril, spearow, diglett...) -so having to battle a lot of wild pokemon at once at some point would be interesting. Then the anime has seen a few gigantic, Godzilla-sized pokemon as well. They'd make for cool optional bosses (being beyond the abilities of a master ball or a heavy ball, of course). On the same note it'd be fun to face of some of those team Rocket mecha. Yep. there will be a few anime appearances seeing how two of the main characters are minor charactors from the anime. But as for the giant pokemon do you meen like the Giant Tentecruel in "Tentacool and Tentacruel"?

• More character interactions. Conversing with the NPCs before and after the battle is one of my favourite parts of the games... I'm not saying there's too litle to talk about with the NPCs, but if there was more, it'd make the game more fun for me. You got me! I havdn't thaught of this one and reading this added a few more ideas to the list

Thanks, i am trying to implament as much into this game as possible.
    and for all of you's that say RMXP is to limeted? take a look at pokemon oddesy and pokemon amathyst.

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
    Years
  • I know this has already been mentioned but the story is the key point for me. Obviously it's got to feel like a Pokemon game, but the stories in specific games (specifically Gen II) felt so real that they sucked me in. I've thus far been disappointed by the stories in the subsequent official games and have felt that too many game developers have gone with the 'become regional Elite Four champ and beat the crap out of a team whilst uncovering a legendary pokemon of enormous power' type story.

Exiled~Shadow

Years
  • I know this has already been mentioned but the story is the key point for me. Obviously it's got to feel like a Pokemon game, but the stories in specific games (specifically Gen II) felt so real that they sucked me in. I've thus far been disappointed by the stories in the subsequent official games and have felt that too many game developers have gone with the 'become regional Elite Four champ and beat the crap out of a team whilst uncovering a legendary pokemon of enormous power' type story.

I know just what you mean and when you read the story witch i hope to release part of on monday you will see i have gone in a completely different direction.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I know just what you mean and when you read the story witch i hope to release part of on monday you will see i have gone in a completely different direction.
    I don't want to be rude, but could you let this become a general "What I Want from a Pokémon Game" thread instead of commenting on everything as though they were suggestions for your game in particular?

I've got nothing against you - I don't know who you are, even - and it's great that you're making a game (and from the sound of your responses to ideas in this thread already you're probably open to suggestions and criticism, which is a big plus for game developers). I just think this thread might be improved somewhat by turning it into the counterpart of the "What about fangames annoy you the most?" stickied thread.

sherm

The Other Guy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    All I look for is length and quality. If it has that I'm happy, I also like new Pokemon that aren't
    baby Pokemon. I like evolutions to pokemon that already exist as well. Ones like Wurmple
    are right up my alley. I don't like wurmple but I like how he can evolve into two different
    pokemon. I also like when they give a starter like Pikachu for some reason that was alot
    more fun. It made Red and Blue look way too easy. They need to make a Fire/Electric,
    Water/Pyschic, and Grass/Ghost starters. Thats just me though. Also they need to use more Gen.II Pokemon. Feraligtr never had a chance to be epic. Charizard,Venasuar, and Blastiose have had 8. Gen Three and Four have had as many as Gen.II and Gen.II has been out as longer.

Back