• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think is the most dramatic change when a pokemon Evolves?

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I meen in looks,
    My idea of the most dramatic change is probably like when flaffy evolves.
    it goes from a sheep into some random dog thing. What do you think is the most dramatic change in evolution!!!

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • inb4magikarp

Seriously, though, Magikarp sticks out like a sore thumb. It starts out as a retarded red fish with the most diverse movepool EVAR (3 moves. super special sexy fun time amirite?), and then goes into epic RAAAAGE and becomes giant blue fish that hits things. rly hard.

Feebas also comes to mind, though it's largely in Gyarados' shadow in that regard.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Togetic -> Togekiss: A very cute Pokemon turned into a- WHAT? :pink_eek:
    Magikarp -> Gyrados: As mentioned above, epic win. :pink_nod:
    Snorunt -> Glalie: Snow hat turns into ice ball. Seriously.
    Remoraid -> Octillery: Fish to octopus?! :pink_disbelief:
    Feebas -> Milotic: Fish to snake. A very strange change.

That's all I could think of.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • From the weakest Pokémon in history *Magikarp* to one of the strongest - Gyrados!

But apart from Magikarp, I'd say....Metapod. Thats about it O_o

Years
  • I would say either magikarp because as mentioned above and togetic -> that one name i cant remember because it goes from this big thing with tiny wings into wings itself

Darth Chomuk

is probably hungry.
    Years
  • Magikarp -> Gyarados is the obvious choice. But for me, before I got Diamond, I would've never guessed Kirlia to evolve into something by the likes of Gallade. o_o

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • For all you who don't know, Magikarp's strange evolutionary chain is based on an Asian legend that states: whenever a carp leaps over the Dragon Gate, they will turn into a dragon. This "Dragon Gate"'s location remains unknown, but many believe that certain waterfalls in China are the Dragon Gate. So it's not that strange.

For this reason, I would not choose Magikarp's evolutionary chain to be the strangest, but it is a pretty dramatic change. I would have to say Remoraid to Octillery is the most dramatic and strangest evolution. A remora (a type of fish) shouldn't be able to turn into an octopus.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Magikarp to Gyrados springs to find for practically everyone who clicks on this thread, I think. And for a reason: Who would think that such a pathetically weak Pokémon could turn into the mighty, ferocious beast known as Gyrados?

Let's not leave out Feebas and Milotic though. They're practically the third generation counterpart of Magikarp and Gyrados. What, with something so feeble turning into the most majestic of Pokémon.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Dragonair to Dragonite O.o

Dragonite is different looking that I thought it was a stand-alone until Gen2

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    I'd Dragonair to Dragonite too, they look completely different sorta..I suppose their noses are kind of similar.

Fish changing into Octopus is pretty Dramatic.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Least dramatic has to be grimer turning into muk. It just grows a bit bigger! I personally think that charmeleon to charizard is quite a big one. Those wings come from nothing! same with blastoise - there weren't even tiny lumps on the back of wartortle's shell, and then it suddenly has cannons! o.O

others include (imho):
    vulpix - ninetails (it was like, cute little boy fox to big sleek woman fox. wtf?)
    golbat - crobat (four wings...and no feet. that is not evolution, its RECESSION)
    venonat - venomoth (ummm....yeh)
    psyduck - golduck (small, pudgy and yellow to big, lean and blue?)
    dragonair - dragonite (snake...to dragon...?)
    poliwhirl - politoed (wtf?)
    pineco - forretress (because pinecones turn to stell and grow big redspikes...don't they?)
    larvitar - pupitar - tyranitar (lavitar - something - tyranitar is fine, but where did pupitar come from? sucky-town?)
    combusken - blaziken (chicken to martial artist. o.0)

And loads more, but blaziken is where i got to in the pokedex before getting bored...

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • vulpix - ninetails (it was like, cute little boy fox to big sleek woman fox. wtf?)
    It represents the japanese kitsune. They are born normally colored foxes, and have one tail. They grow tails as they age, probably one tail every 1,000 years. Once the kitsune grows it's ninth tail, it turns a white or beige color or silver. That's why. It's not random at all, and I'd hardly call it dramatic.
    psyduck - golduck (small, pudgy and yellow to big, lean and blue?)
    Come on now, this isn't that dramatic. They still share many similar qualities of a duck. The only thing is that they put some of the japanese legend into Golduck's design. (kappa)
    poliwhirl - politoed (wtf?)
    Does this surprise you? Poliwag and Poliwhirl are simply tadpoles that undergo the evolution of turning into a frog.
    pineco - forretress (because pinecones turn to stell and grow big redspikes...don't they?)
    It's not dramatic. That's like saying Pikachu's evolution into Raichu is dramatic because the shape of Raichu's tail changed and its an orange color. >_>
    larvitar - pupitar - tyranitar (lavitar - something - tyranitar is fine, but where did pupitar come from? sucky-town?)
    As the name suggests, Larvitar is the larva form, Pupitar is the pupa form, and Tyranitar is the final result (whatever that form is called). It's pretty similar to Caterpie's evolution line in a way.
    combusken - blaziken (chicken to martial artist. o.0)
    Not dramatic at all, and Combusken was part fighting type so... yeah. =/

I forgot about Clamperl. A clam does not turn into an eel. D:<

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • We already had a thread like this.
    Seriously, can't this topic die, we don't have enough information to judge evolution unless we actually know what it is.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    The most dramatic change for me is probably Remoraid-Octillery. A small blue fish turning into a red Octopus is just strange.

For obvious reasons, I omitted Magikarp's evolution due to the karp legend (The one Kayashi mentioned.), and because it has already been mentioned.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • @kayashi: kudos to you for finding out/knowing about the japanese legends. However, I personally would say that the poli- evolution is still a little bit odd because its like, one second tadpole, one second frog. There are none of the in-between stages. imho, it would have been better to insert two new pokemon, and have the chain branch from poliwag. but thats just moi.

I have to say, you cant compare pikachu-raichu to pineco-forretress. the chus have the same basic shape and design, whereas pineco and forretress's only similarity is that they're roughly round.

Larvi-pupi-tyrani would make a lot more sense to me if they were bug type (like the other cocoon evolution pokemon). The fact that they are rock confuse me. and larvi and tyrani are actually fairly similar, unlike caterpie/butterfree or wurmple/dustox/beautifly

Okay, so combusken and blaziken have the fighting type similarity. But they don't really look very similar. combusken is a chicken with chunky thighs. Blaziken is a big dude with long hair and a mask. both the mask and hair come from nowhere. they aren't developed through the evo line at all

Back