• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of parents who swear in front of their kids?

Lucent

✿ border of life
Years
  • I have to admit, even if the "kid" is, like, 16-17 years old, swearing around them/nearby where they can hear still isn't a good idea. Because then kids start to pick up those words, and they could get into a lot of trouble if used at the wrong time in public.

My mom finds inventing "curse" words to be a lot better. So she can swear, but without sounding like she's swearing~

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    I have to admit, even if the "kid" is, like, 16-17 years old, swearing around them/nearby where they can hear still isn't a good idea. Because then kids start to pick up those words, and they could get into a lot of trouble if used at the wrong time in public.

My mom finds inventing "curse" words to be a lot better. So she can swear, but without sounding like she's swearing~

If the "kid" is 16-17, you're ignorant to think they don't already use those words.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • My mom finds inventing "curse" words to be a lot better. So she can swear, but without sounding like she's swearing~

Thats what i do but people still know im cursing. i use gosh, darn, dangit, fudge, or witch. but i still try to avoid those words as well. but if i mess up and do say something its normally one of those, unless its something really bad then the other ones might slip out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    Not everyone swears. I do because I'm miserable, but I know a lot of people (guys and girls) who don't. They know the swearings, of course, just don't use them.

Same here. My best friend never swears. She won't even say simple curse words and she's nearly 21. *shrug* I guess it depends on the person. I try not to swear a lot, but I do when I'm alone or with other people who don't mind and I'm ranting.

In front of kids though, like little kids who shouldn't hear those words? I keep my mouth shut, and I try to be as respectful as I can be if they aren't my relatives or if I'm in public around younger kids. Sometimes something will happen and I'll slip, but I try not to.

If a parent is swearing in regular discussion around their child, I don't agree with it. But of course, it's bound to slip up and happen sometime..

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • My parents did it to me, and I turned out pretty ******** fine, if i say so myself.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They'll learn the words anyway sooner or later. I think it's better to say them indescriminately (but not excessively) around [older] children because they'll then find nothing special about it. If they ask what it means, tell them honestly; F*** is about the only one that'd be difficult to explain, but most of them (depending on one's perspective of what constitutes a 'swear word') like ass, bastard and faggot originally did and sometimes still do have genuine meanings and usage without the connotations they nowadays carry, and one could give those definitions rather than the 'bad' ones. If you tell them not to say the words they will make an explicit effort to do so, if you tell them you don't know they'll ask other people.

Last edited:

RadiosX5

PC's Resident Otaku
    Years
  • For me its if they swear in front of the 1 to 7 age group that i would be worried about.

Because to be fair my dad kinda swears in front of me and my siblings but i don't really have to worry about that kind of stuff because i don't really take much notice of it.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I think parents swearing around young children is wrong. Whether they will hear the words elsewhere or not, hearing them from their parents teaches children that it's okay to use those word and they will. Why is this bad? Because it's socially unacceptable for a child to go into their grade 1 class and call their teacher a b****.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think parents swearing around young children is wrong. Whether they will hear the words elsewhere or not, hearing them from their parents teaches children that it's okay to use those word and they will. Why is this bad? Because it's socially unacceptable for a child to go into their grade 1 class and call their teacher a b****.

Nail on head. It's socially unacceptable. Those words have come to be derogatory to begin with, and there are people who will get offended if you use them. People also tend to use them to enhance a disrespectful or apathetic persona. Note that I said "socially". This is why certain swear words have different "intensities" in different areas. It's not logical or productive to use words with a social taboo on them in front of a young child, because even if they don't understand what it means, humans have a tendency to repeat what they've experienced. And chances are they will repeat them in front of someone who will take offense. In my mind, this seems to spring largely from the same generational trickle-down as over-sexuality in children. It's spread for the most part by schools and media.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
  • In my opinion, I think that's it very low for parents to do that. Even though some kids might be too young to know what it means, they will certainly say it. They will think that it's okay to say those words freely, when it's not. Also, majority of the movies today include cussing. This might affect someone's lifestyle, becuase they will get in trouble often, they will not understand why, which might cause them to get angry at things that they shouldn't.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Just because swearing isn't always used in a bad way doesn't mean that it's okay to say it in front of kids. They'll learn someday, but for the time being they shouldn't be exposed to this kind of vulgarness.

I look down on parents who cuss in front of their kids. I would even be more disappointed if they purposely taught their children to cuss.

Bay

Years
  • Quite a few of you say the cuss words are just words. Well, they can be quite powerful actually when used, no matter the right or wrong context. Also, there are certain times and places where you can't use it, like at a workplace or a funeral.

As for me, I don't think parents who cuss in front of their children are bad. Sometimes parents will do it unexpectedly. However, if they used it excessively then the children will pick it up and use it without thinking about when it is the right and wrong time to use it. I don't actually have problems with children cussing because I'm used to this already (my reaction to this is another story), but like I mentioned before there are certain times when it's okay and when it's not. I think parents should teach their children that actually if the kids already know how to use the cuss words.

What I don't like are parents that tells their children to not cuss and then the kids later hear them say it. If the parents taught their children that, they should set an example or at least not cuss when their children is around. :<

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • They rock the hizzouse

My parents used swear words with me, but usually only when I did something bad (which was quite often). I did have to laugh when they would swear at me while yelling at me for swearing, if you believe that.

Bottom line is, parents shouldn't be doing stuff that they don't want their kids doing (driving is an exception to this rule).

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Well, I think it's bad, but I also grew up with two parents who swore constantly in front of me. It gave me a bit of a swearing habit. My grandparents don't, but my mother had always cussed like a sailor. I don't love it or hate it, I just don't like hearing it in ever other word of every sentence.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • I don't care. I curse myself too. I can't remember what teached me cursing though.. school/internet/parents/my sisters and my brother?

They rarely curse in front of me anyway.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • My parents do.

I don't think they should be ashamed. As long as they teach their kids to not repeat it until they are adults(or not at all).

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I actually can't imagine that, mainly because my parents are obsessive with avoiding anything and everything that would be a bad influence. Swearing, inappropriate stuff in movies, games, all that, even if it isn't really that bad.

I think that if parents swear in front of younger kids, that's pretty bad. I find that kids end up repeating stuff they really shouldn't be. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure all teenagers have been exposed to swearing in music and movies and all that fun stuff by the time they're, well, teenagers. So, it's not like you're going to keep them away from those words in the end. At least don't teach them that adding words like that at the end of every sentence is a good thing.

I personally try to avoid swearing because some people (including some friends) don't like using them and don't like hearing them all the time. I only use them if I get really angry.

Back