• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen what game version do you prefer? Gold or Silver?

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
Years
  • I love both Gold and the remake HeartGold. Mainly because Gold is my favourite colour. But in silver (when it first came out) Skarmory was only available in silver and he was a new steel type. That was my only regret with getting Gold! My friend got silver cos he likes Lugia!

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I loved Silver. Yeah, Gold and Silver were pretty much the same games, but I played Silver first. I got my hands on Gold from my friend a few years after I got Silver, and I enjoyed playing both, but I liked Silver more. I ended up getting HeartGold, though, since my friend bought it for me as a gift. They're pretty much the same thing, anyway. XD

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Gold, cause I always have the opposite game of my brother. He started first, but I finished the game first.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I like Gold, but not for any really solid reason. I don't care about the different legendaries, the version exclusives, etc. Gold was my first of the two and the one I used the most, so it's automatically my favorite.

Years
  • I don't truly know which one I prefer, because me and everyone else I knew growing up had Gold. Looking back, though, I might have preferred Silver just because I like it's version exclusive Pokemon more than Gold's.

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
    Years
  • I got Gold so I'm naturally biased towards it. :O
    However, while playing Silver, I found that I just prefer the sprites of Pokemon on Gold more.
    Aeroblast, despite its awesomeness, just doesn't make up for it.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    =( not only does the title not have but nobody has posted it either! the answer is clearly crystal version! not this gold or silver with brown sneasels and sprites that don't move

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Silver. I've been playing it since I first got it. I like it because you get Lugia at a level 40, and you only get Skarmory (I have to have one on my team).

HotaruSobotka

PENS BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS!
    Years
  • PatJamma- You're absolutely right!

Yeah, I was 'bout to say 'What, no love for Crystal?'

Moving sprites. The ability to catch BOTH Lugia and Ho-Oh? And the first Pokemon game to have a female trainer option?

See where I'm going with this!

Years
  • I think Gold. Because that was the first game of that generation that I played, and you can't catch Growlithe or Mareep in Silver, can you? I might remember wrongly.

The only thing I thought was better with Silver was the Pokémon sprites. I loved that there were different sprites between the versions, and I'm sad they don't do that nowadays.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I liked Gold better. I always thought of Gold as being a "more valuable" metal than Silver at the time, which may have influenced my thinking, but I suppose the most important factor was that Gold was the game that I was given first (whereas I didn't pick up Silver until a year later). I have a lot of memories on Gold (first completed Pokedex, first fully-trained "team," etc.), so I'm much more partial to Gold. I bought both HG and SS, though, and enjoy both games.

Years
  • Silver, mainly because I got it before Gold. Also, I loved Lugia at that time, so I needed to get Silver because Lugia was on the box.

Back