• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I really would not care if Reshiram and Zekrom are the only legends. I know that they're extreeemely helpful to win the league with, but I don't think legendaries are that necessary.
    Nowadays, everyone is all "I pwned some n008 with my regigigas and arceus". As far as I'm concerned, you don't get the full experience of the game beasting through it with a legend. Sure, I'll catch Zekrom, but I may not use it.

ShinyZoruaGirl

Crazy Rowdyruff Boys Fangirl!
    Years
    The originals were the best designs, I miss them. Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Mew, Eevee, ect., I loved ALL the originals..that is...except for Tangela aand Jynx!

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
    i like the screenshots from black/white
    h t t p : / / w w w . p o k e m o n e x p e r t e . d e / a r t i k e l / i m a g e s / b w _ s c r e e n s h o t _ 2 2 . p n g
    its not that kitchy at all..
    probalby ill like it
    but yea..the good old times)
    edit: OMFG, no url?
    lame
    take out the spaces to get the link...

Years
    Well, coming from someone who started in generation 4, I honestly don't mind the differences. I'll agree that the older generations were simpler, but there's nothing wrong with complicated designs either. I mean this is pokemon for crying out loud, there's going to be some weird pokemon, and there's going to be cool pokemon.

I think that about half of generation 4's legendaries are just very rare pokemon. They aren't really a 'god' of anything. (Heatran, regigigas, manaphy, phione, shaymin)

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
    I really would not care if Reshiram and Zekrom are the only legends. I know that they're extreeemely helpful to win the league with, but I don't think legendaries are that necessary.
    Nowadays, everyone is all "I pwned some n008 with my regigigas and arceus". As far as I'm concerned, you don't get the full experience of the game beasting through it with a legend. Sure, I'll catch Zekrom, but I may not use it.
    i would say that they are more like trophies, since i hardly ever use them

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
    I liked the low quality kind of pictures of the Kanto Pokemon from the RBG days. Elise's avatar is good too. But yeah, the older pokemon were always better.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2010
    although I'm hyped about the new generation, I know what you mean. Mew, and squirtle were the innocent, simple things, but now we have pokemon who have giant geneators, or torches for tails (which still look really cool). I would love simpler, but it will still be pokemon, whatever happens.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I liked the low quality kind of pictures of the Kanto Pokemon from the RBG days. Elise's avatar is good too. But yeah, the older pokemon were always better.

Loved Blastoise and Pikachu's design back then. They were soo fat, but that just made them look even better :D.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    take out the spaces to get the link...
    He can't. He has less than fifteen counted posts, and no matter how he posts the url as an actual url, it won't show up until he gets fifteen counted posts.

Talking abaut complexity there are simple and complex pokemon in every gen
    Seriously. Some Pokemon are designed to be complex. That's just how it is, because if they weren't they wouldn't look as good. Just like some Pokemon are simple, because that's all that they need to be. Like Ditto. It couldn't be anything else than a blob.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Hmm, I can respect your opinion but I don't think they were destroyed. Though I have to say Piplup has the best predicatable evolution path out of all of them. It goes form a baby penguin to an emperor penguin, can't get any more 'natural' than that.

BUT THERE IS LIKE A TOTAL DIFFERENCE BECAUSE BLASTOISE SUDDENLY EVOLVING CANONS IS LIKE WAAAAY MORE NATURAL THAN EMPOLEON EVOLVING BLADES ON ITS FINS!

/headdesk

I suppose there is a very simple fix to this problem. GameFreak can set the next two Pokémon titles in the real universe, and have everybody battle with sparrows and ants and moose. But only after children have finished full-time education, and Pokéballs have been invented, and the world has produced at least two super-villains. Oh, and the army has legally sanctioned that such powerful creatures are safe in the hands of ordinary citizens, and God or whoever has grown strategic grass patches and power plants all over the planet for people to find Pokémon in in the first place.

Honestly. The games are meant to be fictional. The Pokémon are meant to be outlandish. Where is the fun in being able to battle with an ~exotic creature~ I could easily find in my back garden? Absolutely nowhere. If you hate the new Pokémon designs that much, go catch some butterflies and put them together in a jar and see which one knocks out the other first. At least it'll look realistic.

Lunyka

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    Basically Pokemon has just become more creative. If anything Ditto, Voltorb, and other pokemon of the like are too simple.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Again another complain on new generations.
    I will probably repeat something still said, but complains like yours continuosly shows up so:
    1: I have nothing against personal taste: if you like some pokemon and others don't is am matter of subjectivity; however, I can't accept statement like yours that marks blindly a generation just because it's not the original:
    2: "random things on their back" I think you was talking abaut torterra but I suggest to look to venosaur:
    What happened to the old simple Pokemon?
    What happened to the old simple Pokemon?
    LOL they are so similiar

However you could argue that bulbasaur has the flower from the beginning, so I present to you...blastoise: when my wartortle evolved, I was expecting a turtle with beautiful ...ehm...waves, instead I obtained...random cannons(on his back)! The same thing with dragonair.

Talking abaut complexity there are simple and complex pokemon in every gen: in the first I would point out nidoking, magmar, rhydhorn and clefable spikes, the stripes of electrabuzz, arcanine, ariados and the others such gyrados, kadabra, kangaskan, scizor, hundoom, tyranitar.
    Also, too much simpliciy can be negative: diglet, magnemite, coffing evolve throught fusion, staryu and grimer becoming bigger.

So in conclusion in all the geneation there are simple and complex pokemon and all the players should look carefully at the new ones deciding what are his favourites and not marking all as uncreative from the beginning.

EDIT: on legendaries, I have too agree that there are too many of them and a lot of unnecessary... they could recycle some of them instead creating new ones: for example at the place of regigas they could have put kyogre, and to the place of heatran, groudon, and use the awesome fire/steel combo for the starters, at the place of blaziken typing.

thank you this man is smart.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    I kind of liked simple. I mean just look at reshiram and zekrom they look like high tech robots. And venusaur and torterra are NOT very similiar. Except that they both have something on threre back.but yea the new ones are more creative

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I kind of liked simple. I mean just look at reshiram and zekrom they look like high tech robots. And venusaur and torterra are NOT very similiar. Except that they both have something on threre back.but yea the new ones are more creative

he was talking about how people complain new pkmn are "creatures with random things thrown own their backs." so he compared them.

and yea i agree, it looks like those legends hav jumbo jet engines on their bodies..thats what i dont like about them

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    There's a balance. The new complex Pokemon seems to attract a few people and some seem to dislike the concept. They have renewed the 1st and 2nd gen-games once now, and I doubt they'll renew them again later on(there will always be 11 games out of 19->). That's why they at this rate will gain some fans, and lose some fans. I don't know if they will gain more fans than they'l lose. It seems like many of the original fans are already gone. I think Pokemon attract different people now, compared to before. It also seems like Pokemon is not as popular now as it was before.
    NB! They don't HAVE to be more complex. They CHOOSE to be more complex. At the beginning Pokemon was a fairytale, now it's a computergame...

Each new Generation has outsold the one b4.

In terms of sales: D/P/Pt>R/S/E>G/S/C>R/B/Y

More popular, just not mainstream :)

And really, complaints are ridiculous. You'll like some and not others. Get over it.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I personally have always disliked the fact that with each generation Pokemon get farther and farther away from looking like the real animals they're based on. D: At the same time, they're Pokemon, they're not supposed to perfectly represent animals. If they were, they would be animals, and not Pokemon. :/ They're going to be weird, and out there, because that's how the creators want them to be.

So yeah, it might bug me a bit.. but that's just how it goes. I still look forward to seeing the new generations, and there will always be some that I like and dislike. I have to admit, even if I found all the new Pokemon to be stupid and weird, I would still get the games. Because Black and White, Pokemon creatures aside, look like pretty awesome games. The graphics, cities, region, movesets etc seem too interesting to pass up.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I personally have always disliked the fact that with each generation Pokemon get farther and farther away from looking like the real animals they're based on. D: At the same time, they're Pokemon, they're not supposed to perfectly represent animals. If they were, they would be animals, and not Pokemon. :/ They're going to be weird, and out there, because that's how the creators want them to be.

So yeah, it might bug me a bit.. but that's just how it goes. I still look forward to seeing the new generations, and there will always be some that I like and dislike. I have to admit, even if I found all the new Pokemon to be stupid and weird, I would still get the games. Because Black and White, Pokemon creatures aside, look like pretty awesome games. The graphics, cities, region, movesets etc seem too interesting to pass up.

idk if this ever goes through your mind but:

voltorb
    electrode
    eggxecute
    eggecutor
    magnemite
    magneton
    koffing
    weezing
    and rhydon, cant think of a real animal that resembles it. (not that i hate it)

but at the same time, many real ones like tauros and seaking. get over it. its been in all generations. and dont tell me finneon/lumineon looks like a 100% stitched together mutant thingy.

Last edited:

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    rhydon is a rhinocerous, its just standing up and has rock armor, lol

MissMurder

Precious Stalker
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    The good thing about the new games is in fact that some of the old Pokemon are included. You don't have to use any of the new Pokemon. You could use Gyarados, Machamp, Golbat, Tentacruel, etc as your team. I personally love a lot of Pokemon ranging from 1st to 4th. Some I'd like to name are: Vulpix (SoulSilver made me fall in love with it) Solrock, Banette, Croagunk, Stunky, Dusknoir, Mightyena, Swampert, Grovyle, Beautifly, Skitty, Torchic, Sableye, Altaria, Loudred, Grumpig, Cacturne, Zangoose, Torkoal, Duskull, Walrein, Glalie, Clamperl, Luxray, Torterra, Driftblim, Honchrow, Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Roserade, Leafeon, Glaceon, Pachirisu, Buneary, Piplup, Monferno, Froslass, Scizor, Teddiursa, Phanpy, Bulbasaur, Seel, Squirtle, etc.

Basically, there are a lot of Pokemon I adore. If it wasn't for GF making new Pokemon, I would have stopped long ago. The main reason why I got back into it was because I saw my friends as well as my classmates getting addicted to Gold. I saw the new Pokemon, and I loved the gameplay of Gold version as well. Personally, I love the new designs they come up with moreso than the old ones. I appreciate the artwork. I love the new legendaries. The color scheme is simple, but the designs are lovely. I also love the new starters for fifth gen, and I'm undecided about which I should choose.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    When they started the Legendaries being very "ancient" and "out-of-this-world" they did more line/scarps/whatsoevers on their bodies. D: I still like the lovable and cute pokemon's such as plusle and minun and the 1st and 2nd gens.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back