• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Ok.. last post from me.
    It's the 4th generation that dissapointed me alot. Sneasel was my favourite Pokemon, but got somewhat ruined by Weavile(not a ugly Pokemon, but a dissapointment) now the headline is perhaps a bit misguided, but I'll come into that later.
    the 4th generation ruined my picture of what evolutions of certain Pokemon would look like. Magmortar, Magnezone(Magneton had no need for an evolution IMO), Rhyperior(so unlike the first evolutions), Togekiss, Mamoswine, Pyrogon Z, Probopass, Froslass, Mismagius and to some extent Honchkrow.. I expected the Pokemon to have a similiar style to the 1st and follow the evolutionary road with most pokemon being similiar to their evolutions.

yea this is what i agree with right here. exactly. thats the only thing i hate about 4th gen...it makes me wanna slap the hell out the people who made them evolve.

both porygons were classic pokemon, but z came out i'm like wtf. same with togetic. i'm fine with mamoswine, i actually like this one. probopass, ugly as hell but i never cared about nosepass anyways. magmotar and electivire killed their preevo, i will not evolve them..well i will but i'll never use them. imo, these evos should not make them superior to their preevos, just change their stats like scizor did with the speed of scyther.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    I guess most of us who are banting about how sucky the new generations are is because we actually played these games when we were kids.

Kids that are the ages we were are probally thinking 'Wow these pokemon are so cool!' for the new gens.

I am defenately a nostalgia freak :)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Speak for yourself.
    I've played all of the games as they are released.
    I'm also an extremely nostalgic person.
    The later generations are just as good objectively, if not better.

Anyone who says otherwise is suffering from Nostalgia, which is okay; it's perfectly normal. But you need to understand that's all it is.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    I guess most of us who are banting about how sucky the new generations are is because we actually played these games when we were kids.

Kids that are the ages we were are probally thinking 'Wow these pokemon are so cool!' for the new gens.

I am defenately a nostalgia freak :)

I've been playing pokemon since Pokemon Yellow first came out and I have bought every game since and some how I am still able to appreciate the new pokemon.. wow.. I must be pretty spesh.

I think people who started playing pokemon from the middle instead of the beginning have a better view on pokemon. At least they dont judge the new ones just coz they're not the old ones

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

I think people who started playing pokemon from the middle instead of the beginning have a better view on pokemon. At least they dont judge the new ones just coz they're not the old ones

That's what you'd think. I started in the middle, and, well, I was quite biased against the fourth-generational Pokémon and the 2.5D graphics. As a result, I had far less fun than I should have playing Platinum, which puts me in the mindset to enjoy Black and White as much as I can.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    That's what you'd think. I started in the middle, and, well, I was quite biased against the fourth-generational Pokémon and the 2.5D graphics. As a result, I had far less fun than I should have playing Platinum, which puts me in the mindset to enjoy Black and White as much as I can.

Same, i'm also goign to put alot of time intot his game.

The old games aren't comming back, maybe remakes but i need to accept that.

The old gens in my mind will always be the best, but i need to get over them and enjoy the new ones.

I guess thats that.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Same, i'm also goign to put alot of time intot his game.

The old games aren't comming back, maybe remakes but i need to accept that.

The old gens in my mind will always be the best, but i need to get over them and enjoy the new ones.

I guess thats that.

My thoughts exactly.

Although I really don't like the look of that gear Pokemon :\

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Speak for yourself.
    I've played all of the games as they are released.
    I'm also an extremely nostalgic person.
    The later generations are just as good objectively, if not better.

Anyone who says otherwise is suffering from Nostalgia, which is okay; it's perfectly normal. But you need to understand that's all it is.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment post, the last paragraph throws me. People's opinions are not just tainted by nostalgia - there are people who genuinely love the older generations because stylistically, the older gens suit them. However, when those people start using the excuse "oh well the older gens were better for everyone because now Nintendo sucks!" etc., then you have a case of Nostalgia Freak throwing their toys out of the proverbial pram.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    no, blaziken is the worst pokemon ever imo. this thing looks like a mexican wrestler, something that should be in digimon.

That's ludicolo and Hariyama, not Blaziken. Dude say something like he looks like jackie Chan's sidekick. That would make more sense than what you just said.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment post, the last paragraph throws me. People's opinions are not just tainted by nostalgia - there are people who genuinely love the older generations because stylistically, the older gens suit them. However, when those people start using the excuse "oh well the older gens were better for everyone because now Nintendo sucks!" etc., then you have a case of Nostalgia Freak throwing their toys out of the proverbial pram.

Yes dude we all miss the older ones but this is ridulous I mean the new ones are so awseome. i love the changes. There's more things to do. I don't see why anyone would complain. It's change. Everything changes in all genres. it can be music, it can be video games, it can be a site, it can be your country. That's LIFE. Grow up and accept it.

Youtube, we all hated the new layout but we got used to it and we love it now.

So many things I can say. This may not be Youtube but people will definitely get used to it. Give it a chance. Sorry it isn't that wonderful 8-bit music with all the glitches and the quick gameplay. We all miss it but it's change and honestly it's for the best. I enjoy the new pokemon especially legendaries. it's awesome.

There's also Yu-gi-oh, and other fighting games. yes ther'es new stuff. It happens. Just grow up and accept it.

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
    Pretty much this

What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    I want to point out that, in my opinion, the changes they're making to the legendaries (ie. Dialga/Palkia styled ones) are good.

Legendaries are meant to be legendary, they're meant to be special and all-powerful gods. They're not supposed to be simple or whatever, they're meant to be different. It's better if you can actually tell the difference between legendaries and normal Pokémon at a glance, and now you can.

THIS. This is what I dislike about the new generations. The old legendary Pokemon were not meant to be gods. Mew held the DNA to all Pokemon, but it didn't create Pokemon. Likewise, the three birds were just rare Pokemon that were told of in legends. Celebi did not create or rule time, it just travelled through it. Lugia did not create the ocean, it just hid in deep inside one due to its apparent destructive forces. I think people are confusing the terms "legendary" and "gods". Legendaries =/= gods.

Pokemon was still playful and lighthearted until it got bogged down in Gen 3 and 4 by all these grand schemes and "gods". Team Rocket was just greedy for money, not control for the entire universe. It's much more realistic; much like a mafia in real life. Now you have one 10-year old kid capturing and, by extension, controlling time, space, ground, oceans, sky, and the universe. It just takes away from the immersiveness and believability of the plot.

On to Pokemon designs. I don't expect "natural" Pokemon. In fact, I feel the new Pokemon in a way are TOO "natural". Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon somehow managed to have this cartoonish design while retaining the organic feeling of the creatures. Now I feel the Pokemon are overdesigned. Just look at the sea otter for example, a printed/painted shell on it's coat?

Now, it would be too rash to say ALL new Pokemons are ugly/overdesigned. Of course, there are good designs in every generation. But these gems are becoming increasingly sparse in this overall trend in overcomplication of designs.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    in my honest opinion.......
    it's pokemon.....
    don't look to hard into it.....
    if you don't like them anymore, then quit....

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
    And its time for the Kazuki explanation of the Thread! I am standing here in the booth with avid PKMN gamer Karel_Kazuki, please tell me your thoughts on this .

Really to me, people should stop complaining about this situation.Pokemon was created 13 years ago.Alot of things have happened since then, the main thing being, births, and children coming in to love pokemon.The reason they're called Generations is because they appeal to a Generation of Children.You just cant automatically dislike something because you didnt grow up off of it.If Pokemon stayed the same,You would put it down because you would say, it got boring.Game Freak made the changes because they wanted to keep people in appeal to the games.

Pokemon has to get more complex to appeal to the times.Have people not noticed that
    Town
    Gen1=Colors
    Gen2:Plants
    Gen3 and 4:the area in which the towns reside in?
    Reason being is that
    Gen1 and 2=GB and GBC
    Gen3 GBA, a big step in technology in which they had to upgrade graphics of pokemon
    Gen4:NDS, a BIGGER step up in graphics.

And even then, the Pokemon match the Generations they are in.
    Notice how the generations have been getting a more futuristic look after 2, and the pokemon have followed along with it.Don't blame the creators for trying to keep their sales up because if they didnt do this, it would be a shock to the world.Thats what Yugioh did.I dropped the card game in 07 and watched few episodes of the GX series.I didnt even know they had a new one out, or the fact that they added a new type of card until i saw it with my little family members on tv one day.It shows that, if they're losing appeal to the older audience,they have to attract the younger ones into it.Isnt that what they did for the people who fell into it by the 2nd,3rd,and 4th generation?Me Im a First Gen.First PKMN ever was Yellow, then I took a step back and bought Red.i love every pokemon game because it kept me appealed to it with its changes.That is not only Game Freaks #1 goal, but the whole marketing industry.

In the end, dont complain, because the change is not for you.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    in my honest opinion.......
    it's pokemon.....
    don't look to hard into it.....
    if you don't like them anymore, then quit....

^ This.

Complaining too much gets you nowhere, it's a fact Pokemon have grown over the years.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Wait, I really don't see how there's any exaggeration at all. If you look at all the new 5th gen ones, they're pretty simple. Of course, though, I really, really hate the ones in the triple battle we've seen so far...

What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    THIS. This is what I dislike about the new generations. The old legendary Pokemon were not meant to be gods. Mew held the DNA to all Pokemon, but it didn't create Pokemon. Likewise, the three birds were just rare Pokemon that were told of in legends. Celebi did not create or rule time, it just travelled through it. Lugia did not create the ocean, it just hid in deep inside one due to its apparent destructive forces. I think people are confusing the terms "legendary" and "gods". Legendaries =/= gods.

Pokemon was still playful and lighthearted until it got bogged down in Gen 3 and 4 by all these grand schemes and "gods". Team Rocket was just greedy for money, not control for the entire universe. It's much more realistic; much like a mafia in real life. Now you have one 10-year old kid capturing and, by extension, controlling time, space, ground, oceans, sky, and the universe. It just takes away from the immersiveness and believability of the plot.

On to Pokemon designs. I don't expect "natural" Pokemon. In fact, I feel the new Pokemon in a way are TOO "natural". Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon somehow managed to have this cartoonish design while retaining the organic feeling of the creatures. Now I feel the Pokemon are overdesigned. Just look at the sea otter for example, a printed/painted shell on it's coat?

Now, it would be too rash to say ALL new Pokemons are ugly/overdesigned. Of course, there are good designs in every generation. But these gems are becoming increasingly sparse in this overall trend in overcomplication of designs.

Yes.

It's lovely to see someone who isn't screaming "OMFG NEW POKEYMANS SUUUCK" or "LOL NOSTALGIA FREAKS ARE STOOOPID". Your argument is sound and intelligent and I agree with it. :)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years

One of the only extremely intelligent and well-written posts from the dissenters! Thank you. Even though I'm not a dissenter myself, it's interesting to see an argument from the other side that doesn't consist of OMG DESE NEW ONE SUCKS GF HAVE NO IDEAS!!!111

Personally, I like the new, darker direction that Pokémon is taking, and I can't pin this down to me getting older or simply preferring science fiction epic to Mafioso comedy hinjinks. As for the PokéGod angle though, you're absolutely correct. I love me some Palkia, Arceus and Giratina, but at the end of the day they are insanely over-powered Gods and the fact that only a little ten year-old kid can capture them is ludicrous plot-telling. I'm also fed up of being a ~chosen~ one in every single game, despite being a mute little kid who doesn't even have any idea of how to catch Pokémon when he/she strikes out from his/her respective hometown. This is why I'm hoping that Black and White will be different in the story-telling department, and that I at least get some character development before coming up against Zekrom/Reshiram/whatever other Gods/Legendaries Isshu contains.

As for the natural/unnatural...I hadn't thought about it like that. tbh my favourite Pokémon sprites ever were from Pokémon Green/Red because they looked the most freakish and unnatural. But with an improvement with the graphics engine of Pokémon over the years, even the most outlandish Pokémon have grown realistic...interesting. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and giving me a new angle to look at things with. =]

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years

Near enough this, a well put together and intelligent answer. I could rant for a long time about why I disliked a few Gen IV Pokémon without even mentioning their appearance.

But seriously, can we for one not be 'the only one who can save the world'... the hope of a new, fresh plot is the only thing that's keeping me interested in B&W.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back