• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is God?

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I think it is about time I join this discussion.

God is a real, divine being. He is not dead, but surely alive! God is a Trinity consisting of God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. They are three persons, but one being. Sorry if I explained it in a confusing way. My God is loving, caring, kind, just, fair, and many other things. He loves everyone and wants to have a relationship with you and be with you in Heaven.

Every other "God" is fake. I believe the Greeks had gods, but not Gods. They were fake. See what I mean? Idols can also be gods. Your car can being your idol, religion, god if you put it above the one true God.

There is only ONE God, and He created everyone and sent His son, Jesus, to die on the cross to save us all from our sins and ultimately Hell. The Bible is also divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit, but through humans. The Bible IS 100% accurate.

God is so loving and understanding, that he even created a special place called Hell, just so he can send us there after we die, if we haven't heard of him, don't believe in him, or follow another religion! <3

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons for me not to follow any religion. Same goes with believing in God.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    I don't really believe in god so much, mostly because I used to be friends with a family that was very deeply christian.
    I didn't feel like I could discuss anything with them without them getting offended, so I tend to keep the mentality "no religion is the healthiest religion."

I don't want to fight, because you seem like a wonderful person, but what makes your god any more valid then the 'fake' greek gods? I didn't say that your god wasn't, I'm just wondering.
    Also, why does hell even have anyone in it? You would think that if god was truly forgiving, he would never let anyone, no matter how cruel, live in a fiery deathplace for the rest of their life, would he? That would give him the "so now you see? You should've believed in me, now burn forevormore!" mentality, and that is what the greeks believed, that gods were to be feared, so why should it be the same in this case? Why should god turn his back on anyone?
    One more thing, which you didn't mention, and I know not all christians think this way, but what is the deal with God, Satan, and being homosexual? I'd like that to be explained.

Hell has people in it because people chose not to believe. We have free will. God is forgiving, Jesus came down to save us. We have free will. Did you want to be a robot? God doesn't turn His back on anyone. It would be hypocriticle of me to segregate and hate on homosexuals. They just sin in a different way than I do. I just think- well, you know. What is the deal with God and Satan that you want explained?

Why is God more valid than the Greek gods? God has divinely inspired the Bible, and the Bible is true. God is proven in many different ways. I need to work on a better answer; I'll post a vm on your page. :)

God is so loving and understanding, that he even created a special place called Hell, just so he can send us there after we die, if we haven't heard of him, don't believe in him, or follow another religion! <3

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons for me not to follow any religion. Same goes with believing in God.

Free will. It's your choice! If I'm not mistaken, Satan created Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    God (and his/her many versions that are scattered throughout many religions) is what originally was created by humans to explain the unexplained. In that same sense, we continue to create God today, building upon it's everlasting tower with stories and new information of his/her greatness.

I was raised with a mixture of Catholic and Christian beliefs, ultimately leading up to my now atheist (and partially Pegan) point of view. There's no evidence of God (I do not deny that Jesus was a real person, as a side note, however his rising from the dead and having holy power is another story) nor is there evidence there is no God. It's all sort of confusing, but my life experiences have pointed me away from an entity that watches over us. Why would he/she let my life get to the point where I consider and attempt suicide? Why allow young children to starve, be abused, and die? Why continue sitting back while awful things happen to good people? I ask those questions a lot and never seem to get an answer.

I've read the Bible. Honestly, that book is about as accurate as a 1823 history book in today's world. It's a mix of fairy tales, useless information, strange practices, hate, and worship. It contradicts itself a lot as well, and for that reason I cannot take it seriously.

Anyway, I'm just gonna conclude with this: God is still being used today to promote hate, to explain coincidences and the unknown, and to generally make people feel better in terms of themselves and others. That's all. There's no entity in the sky or some other dimension or whatever judging me for what I decide to do with my life. It can't watch me wherever I go, and it certainly doesn't tell me that I'm going to burn in Hell if I don't bow down and worship.

Science gives me information I can observe, which is what I want. Plus, there's no hate in science!

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    So Satan punishes people for not believing in God, doing bad things, and stuff? Wait... Doesn't that make him good?

No! God punishes you! Satan wants you to be punished. That is why satan tempts you to do bad stuff. He wants to to be in Hell forever, away from God. Satan sometimes gives you a perfect life so you think you don't need God, or a terrible life so you hate God. Satan attacked Christians even more, and the stronger their faith, the more he attacks. He wants us to be in pain and suffering for eternity.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Why is God more valid than the Greek gods? God has divinely inspired the Bible, and the Bible is true. God is proven in many different ways. I need to work on a better answer; I'll post a vm on your page. :)

That... doesn't make any sense. The bible is true? [citation needed] Can you explain why the Bible is true? There are a crapload of historical errors and scientific impossibilities, along with stories that contradict each other and so on. Could you elaborate on why the Bible is anything more than a fiction book?

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    It's all sort of confusing, but my life experiences have pointed me away from an entity that watches over us. Why would he/she let my life get to the point where I consider and attempt suicide? Why allow young children to starve, be abused, and die? Why continue sitting back while awful things happen to good people? I ask those questions a lot and never seem to get an answer.

Because you're not asking the right people. It's simple: you live in a world with greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. A small number of greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s, but greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s nonetheless. They exist just as you do. They don't believe in God (in a god, but not God) and they have no concept of morals (or a very low concept). They're corrupt humans. Simple as that. And maybe you should actually start asking God why he does this. But you don't believe in God, so maybe you'll never ask Him.

I've read the Bible. Honestly, that book is about as accurate as a 1823 history book in today's world. It's a mix of fairy tales, useless information, strange practices, hate, and worship. It contradicts itself a lot as well, and for that reason I cannot take it seriously.
    Good for you. I happened to read the book myself.

Anyway, I'm just gonna conclude with this: God is still being used today to promote hate, to explain coincidences and the unknown, and to generally make people feel better in terms of themselves and others. That's all.
    Well science is also used to promote hate, too. Remember the atomic bomb? Now, don't get me wrong, science has been used to save people's lives, but science is almost always the maker of weapons. Science invented guns, bombs, submarines, stuff like that. What you make religion out to be is about as innocent as your Science.

And besides, Christianity has not been used to promote hate. I don't hate anyone. I may dislike people, but I don't hate them. Feel free to believe whatever you want, but don't bash a group of people based on one or two people and assumptions.

Science gives me information I can observe, which is what I want. Plus, there's no hate in science!
    You can't believe solely on your vision to understand the world around you. Concepts in science require faith. For instance, take a coin and hold it in your hand. It looks and feels solid, yes. But is it really? Science says otherwise, rather that the coin you hold contains atoms with a small amount of space between them, and that their electrons are moving at the speed of light. Have you seen an atom? You need faith in order to believe that this is true, because it hasn't been proven. It has been theorized, yes. There is evidence, yes. But we have yet to see these atoms at their small size. You can't observe atoms.

Last edited:

Poki

Banned
    Years
    No! God punishes you! Satan wants you to be punished. That is why satan tempts you to do bad stuff. He wants to to be in Hell forever, away from God. Satan sometimes gives you a perfect life so you think you don't need God, or a terrible life so you hate God. Satan attacked Christians even more, and the stronger their faith, the more he attacks. He wants us to be in pain and suffering for eternity.

Wait, I thought that God forgave everyone. >_>

God punishes you, and sends you to Hell, where Satan punishes you for your bad deeds. So, technically, Satan is doing good by punishing you for your sins.

Also, lemme ask you something about the thing in bold:

So, if someone has no faith at all/follows another religion (since we're talking about Christianity here), they're free from Hell? No punishment, whatsoever? 'Cause Satan won't attack them, if they do not believe in Christ. Wow, talk about privileges. :P

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    That... doesn't make any sense. The bible is true? [citation needed] Can you explain why the Bible is true? There are a crapload of historical errors and scientific impossibilities, along with stories that contradict each other and so on. Could you elaborate on why the Bible is anything more than a fiction book?

Is it ok if I get back to that in a couple if days? I'm very busy and I would like to make a big answer so you understand. It hopefully will cover a lot of ground regarding the topic. :)

Wait, I thought that God forgave everyone. >_>

God punishes you, and sends you to Hell, where Satan punishes you for your bad deeds. So, technically, Satan is doing good by punishing you for your sins.

Also, lemme ask you something about the thing in bold:

So, if someone has no faith at all/follows another religion (since we're talking about Christianity here), they're free from Hell? No punishment, whatsoever? 'Cause Satan won't attack them, if they do not believe in Christ. Wow, talk about privileges. :P

Your misunderstanding. Satan doesn't punish you. I never said Satan doesn't attack non- Christians. He attacks them in different ways. Saran tries to ruin the Christians faith and he tries to keep your faith from God if you don't believe in Him. He temps you, lies to you, decieves you into sound bad stuff an separate you from God.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tek

Years
    The first part about the Gospels, I'm going to ignore it because the Bible is little more than a fiction book like Don Quixote or Harry Potter, so I couldn't care less about how they describe their fictional characters (and I too believe J. K. Rowling is better at that than the several old ages people/translators who are responsible for the mishmash of texts that is the modern-day Bible but w/e).

First of all, the Bible originates from an oral tradition handed down for many generations before being committed to writing, then being translated and re-translated, etc. Which makes it fundamentally different from a work of fiction written by a single author, or even a group of authors; it tells the tale of a people as seen from within their community, whereas a work of fiction springs from the author's personal imagination. And we can see the people in the Bible move from warrior to mythic over the course of the story, in accordance with early humanity's development.

Second of all, the first part of my post relates only incidentally to the Gospels. My point stands regardless of what's in the Bible, so that fact that it can also be seen in the Gospel story is in no way a legitimate reason to gloss over it! One's personal opinion of the Bible is fully irrelevant to my point.

Also philosophy =! evidence.

This is irrelevant to anything I've presented. My statements are not based on philosophy: they do not start with an assumption and then draw conclusions, but rather start with experiential data; I am starting with observation and drawing conclusions based upon experience and logical inference.

Have you heard about Russell's teapot?

All we can say with certainty is that the existence of the teapot seems unlikely, but is possible. That's the nature of scientific inquiry.

But yet again, we have a fundamental difference between your argument and mine. The teapot is solely a hypothetical example; people don't actually report seeing or believing in it, either now or at any point in history. Spirit however, is essentially universal to human experience throughout the ages.

As far as I'm aware, the materialistic scientific worldview is currently the only one that has ever denied the existence of a Divine by default. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with this; the rational denial of Spirit has more depth than a mythic affirmation. But we would do well to come to terms with the fact that new and deeper ways of understanding the world have unfolded, and to take note that the Divine is often embraced by those who hold these worldviews.

And I have a problem with is the assertion made by Phantom that all assertions of God's existence are prerational, which you also appear to be supporting. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is especially offensive when I have presented a well-reasoned, post-metaphysical approach to understanding God, and I am labeled as ignorant.

- If you can't give any POSITIVE proof of your being, you can't expect anybody else to refute your non-existing evidence.

Which holds no bearing here, as I have presented evidence, which you have attempted to refute. In addition, if your neighbor has looked out the window and seen that it isn't raining, while you have not gone and looked, what grounds do you have to draw any conclusions, positive or negative, about her assertions?

That is sounds like rain outside? That the weatherman said it would rain? That it rains all the time here, so it's more likely than not that it's raining? That dry weather seems to just be something that people make up to get some relief from all the damp???

You must take the injunction to have the experience, after which comes verification or refutation from others who have also taken the injunction. Just like looking into a microscope in order to observe the structure of a plant, just like jogging every day for three months to see if it impacts your health, and just like engaging in regular transpersonal practices to see if you are indeed one with everything.

If this process is not followed, then one can do nothing more than abstractly reason out a conclusion, and point to circumstantial evidence that supports that conclusion, which is philosophy by any other name. If this process is not followed, we are engaging in more of the same metaphysics that you seem to disapprove of!

- If your evidence is merely philosophical, or just faith-based (I believe there must be something like this), then it makes no difference to reality whether your statement is true or false. I can believe unicorns exist but they are just invisible or something. That doesn't add to our knowledge. That doesn't affect anybody's life. Whether the unicorns you believe in exist or not is, simply, irrelevant.

Again, I have not presented philosophical or belief-based arguments. The four quadrants of reality (interiors and exteriors of individuals and collectives), as well as the levels of development, are not philosophical assumptions. They are present in your direct and immediate awareness, and you don't even need special tools to verify that.

IIIIIIIII think you have misunderstood the result of the experiment. It does not prove God exists. It proves humans- well, you said it.

Pretty much! We can prove humans can go on a special state of concentration, maybe what can be considered "a trance" when they focus internally. It's not like it's something new, since there are many other religions (including several spiritual-based godless ones) that use the same ability, and even a relaxation course my mom attends every Thursday in which they are played relaxing, chant-like monotonous sounds and are taught to concentrate to "turn off" the brain from regular stress.

Of course, that tells us about the ability of the human mind to go on a special state of concentration... but using that to say "therefore God" is cheating, since that state can be attained without invoking any god whatsoever. Tsk tsk.

Let's examine the fallacies here. Relaxation is not the same thing as meditation - and if it were, then relaxation practice would, in fact, be a way to know Spirit/Mystery/God.

Psychologically speaking, what happens in mindfulness-type meditation is that one ceases to identify with anything that arises. Put differently, one's awareness becomes transpersonal because it is no longer restricted to the individual bodymind.

With enough regular practice, one reaches a Witnessing state in which one is solely identified with the transpersonal Emptiness in which existence is arising moment-to-moment, and eventually the Witness itself collapses when it is seen, finally and concretely, that the Witness is not separate from existence: the two arise together or not at all, just as the moon will not cast its reflection in a still pond unless both the moon and pond are present.

And once again, this Emptiness, the Witness, is not some philosophical speculation. It is the inner experience that is consistently reported by longtime meditators. Injunction, data, verification. No metaphysics involved!

And as to whether I've misunderstood the study, let me elaborate on how I reached my conclusion. When someone says "I feel fear," and we observe a physiological fight-or-flight response, we accept the fear as valid. When someone says "I feel happy," and we observe dopamine release and a change in demeanor, we accept the happiness as valid.

When someone says "I am speaking to God, and I hear her voice," we can observe activation of the language and concentration centers of the brain. When someone says "I feel one with everything," we can observe hemispheric synchronization, and specific brainwave patterns associated with meditative states. Why then would we conclude anything other than that the experience of God is valid?

As far as I can tell, that conclusion is based on nothing more than an assumption that God does not (or can not, or perhaps should not) exist, and that all interior states are merely inconsequential byproducts of chemical processes. This is scientific materialism at its "finest", and the irony here is that it is this materialistic view that is actually based on metaphysical assumptions.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Your misunderstanding. Satan doesn't punish you. I never said Satan doesn't attack non- Christians. He attacks them in different ways. Saran tries to ruin the Christians faith and he tries to keep your faith from God if you don't believe in Him. He temps you, lies to you, decieves you into sound bad stuff an separate you from God.
    What is the purpose of Hell then? If I'm not mistaken, the whole Hell thing is a punishment for your sins. Or... Satan's just a sadist?

No, I am not misunderstanding. It's all based on beliefs. If I do not believe in God, I have no reason to go to Hell. Same with people who follow other religions. As much as Christians believe in God, Muslims believe in Allah, and so on.

Do animals go to Hell? Why weren't people aware of God before religion was created?

Ivysaur

Years
    Well science is also used to promote hate, too. Remember the atomic bomb? Now, don't get me wrong, science has been used to save people's lives, but science is almost always the maker of weapons. Science invented guns, bombs, submarines, stuff like that. What you make religion out to be is about as innocent as your Science.

The key is, science says "if you do X, you get an atomic bomb". It doesn't tell you whether making a bomb or a gun is good or bad, just how to do them.

On the other hand, you get the Catholic Church saying that not believing in god is bad- and burning people in stakes for centuries. Or pastors all over the US (specially on the south) justifying discrimination. Because religion tells you whether something is good or bad. Science simply tells you how stuff happens.

You can't believe solely on your vision to understand the world around you. Concepts in science require faith. For instance, take a coin and hold it in your hand. It looks and feels solid, yes. But is it really? Science says otherwise, rather that the coin you hold contains atoms with a small amount of space between them, and that their electrons are moving at the speed of light. Have you seen an atom? You need faith in order to believe that this is true, because it hasn't been proven. It has been theorized, yes. There is evidence, yes. But we have yet to see these atoms at their small size. You can't observe atoms.

From the Merriam-Webster

Faith: a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
    b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

You know, you seem to not understand the concept of science. If it hasn't been proven, well, then there is nothing to talk about. Science works by -guess what- finding evidence about things. It's not like somebody says "Atoms exist!" and suddenly people go following them against or despite the lack of evidence. If you claim something but have no evidence, you will be torn to bits- that is, if your research even makes it any further than a reviewer's desk (aka a fellow scientist who is eager to ignore anything that's not solidly backed up).

The point of science is that you don't need to "believe in something for which there is no proof". You can get any papers published, look at the experiments they did and replicate them. Many people do! Because if the experiment still works, well, more evidence. And if you find out that they are wrong, well, you get to tear the previous research to pieces! And your name will be the one in the books of tomorrow, disproving a wrong hypothesis.

Quoting you:
    There is evidence, yes.

Therefore, you don't need faith. There is the evidence there for you to check it any time you want, and you are welcome if you want to retest it a billion times to make sure it does stand up.

It has been theorized, yes.

A scientific theory is not a "I got an idea that migth ot might not work idk". That's called an "hypothesis". A scientific theory is an explanation that is backed up by evidence and is capable of predicting future events without fail. Yes, gravity is a theory- because we know how it works every single time.

But we have yet to see these atoms at their small size. You can't observe atoms.

Atoms can be observed individually using special instruments such as the scanning tunneling microscope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom

@Tek: I'm going to need a bit more time to go on with that.

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    The key is, science says "if you do X, you get an atomic bomb". It doesn't tell you whether making a bomb or a gun is good or bad, just how to do them.

On the other hand, you get the Catholic Church saying that not believing in god is bad- and burning people in stakes for centuries. Or pastors all over the US (specially on the south) justifying discrimination. Because religion tells you whether something is good or bad. Science simply tells you how stuff happens.

From the Merriam-Webster

Faith: a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
    b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

You know, you seem to not understand the concept of science. If it hasn't been proven, well, then there is nothing to talk about. Science works by -guess what- finding evidence about things. It's not like somebody says "Atoms exist!" and suddenly people go following them against or despite the lack of evidence. If you claim something but have no evidence, you will be torn to bits- that is, if your research even makes it any further than a reviewer's desk (aka a fellow scientist who is eager to ignore anything that's not solidly backed up).

The point of science is that you don't need to "believe in something for which there is no proof". You can get any papers published, look at the experiments they did and replicate them. Many people do! Because if the experiment still works, well, more evidence. And if you find out that they are wrong, well, you get to tear the previous research to pieces! And your name will be the one in the books of tomorrow, disproving a wrong hypothesis.

Quoting you:

Therefore, you don't need faith. There is the evidence there for you to check it any time you want, and you are welcome if you want to retest it a billion times to make sure it does stand up.

A scientific theory is not a "I got an idea that migth ot might not work idk". That's called an "hypothesis". A scientific theory is an explanation that is backed up by evidence and is capable of predicting future events without fail. Yes, gravity is a theory- because we know how it works every single time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom

@Tek: I'm going to need a bit more time to go on with that.
    [sarcasm]Oops! Did I say faith? I meant belief. Well I guess that means, I'm wrong...[/sarcasm]Yeah. Like I care. Seriously though. You can't make a judgment of someone based on their religion. And you can't a generalization of religion, because while one person may share a common religion with someone, their thoughts and practices are different. And are you trying to defend atheists constant harassment of religious people? Shouldn't we all just accept that our beliefs are different and move on? Religious people will continue to exist so live with it.

Last edited:

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    Because you're not asking the right people. It's simple: you live in a world with greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. A small number of greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s, but greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s nonetheless. They exist just as you do. They don't believe in God (in a god, but not God) and they have no concept of morals (or a very low concept). They're corrupt humans. Simple as that. And maybe you should actually start asking God why he does this. But you don't believe in God, so maybe you'll never ask Him.

I used to be a believer (admittedly, it was forced from birth, but it was belief nonetheless), but when your savior stops answering calls for help, you become suspicious. Why believe in something that doesn't help you in your time of need when it is explained that it is supposed to?

People use science to make weapons. Science is not something that has free will. It does not decide its use. Just like the fact that guns do not kill people, people kill people.

And besides, Christianity has not been used to promote hate. I don't hate anyone. I may dislike people, but I don't hate them. Feel free to believe whatever you want, but don't bash a group of people based on one or two people and assumptions.

I never said Christianity specifically, that's you taking it personally, which you shouldn't be. I'm not bashing anything, either, I merely stated a fact. Besides, it's not just "one or two people," religions everywhere are hating other religions, groups (such as homosexuals and African Americans), and generally those who disagree with them. I'm not saying all religious people are like that, but it seems to be a good majority.

You can observe atoms: https://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-can-now-see-individual-atoms-2012-9

That was back in 2012, so I dunno where you've been.

There will always be legitimate proof in science, and because of that I stick with it. Just because it's a theory, doesn't mean it can't be proved. Can the existence of God be proved? No. Is there legitimate evidence at all? No. Can I prove that he's/she's not real? Of course not. However I can prove what is real.

EDIT: I see Ivysaur got to some of my points before me. Sorry for repetitiveness.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
    [sarcasm]Oops! Did I say faith? I meant belief. Well I guess that means, I'm wrong...[/sarcasm]Yeah. Like I care. Seriously though. You can't make a judgment of someone based on their religion. And you can't a generalization of religion, because while one person may share a common religion with someone, their thoughts and practices are different. And are you trying to defend atheists constant harassment of religious people. Shouldn't we all just accept that our beliefs are different and move on? Religious people will continue to exist so live with it.

I'm not judging anybody, I couldn't care less about your religion, or anybody's, as long as they don't bother me with theirs. And I'm not trying to defend anybody's harrassment. Please point to where in my post I defended anybody harrassing other people.

I suggest you read my post again, because you clearly misundersttod it. I was just trying to explain why science and religion are different from each other. I'm not endorsing anything.

And yes, your idea of what science is and stands for is wrong. Although the "like I care" tells everything we all need to know.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Satan sometimes gives you a perfect life so you think you don't need God, or a terrible life so you hate God.

I need a God like I need a hole in my sock. The only thing I ultimately will answer to in the end is my own conscience. If I do wrong, my conscience will demand that I make amends, and I will suffer until I do. External forces can inflict no more pain and suffering on me than I can inflict on myself. We truly can be our own worst enemies and our harshest critics. We don't need a God to judge us. We do enough of that on our own without its help.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
    What about the poor, cheated, ruined people that are deeply christian and follow god? Why does he turn his back on them? They deserve as much attention as the prospering families that have the same level of belief as they do, don't they?

I don't fear temptation, or damning, or any of that. I let myself do what I want, because I believe that if there is a god, he would have two options:

"You should have believed in me, now forever burn in hell! Mwahahaha!"

Or....

"See? Look at this wonderful place, do you believe in me now? Come, join us in happiness!"

I imagine him as the latter, and if you truly think about it, many christians don't imagine him either way, and prefer to simply avoid the question altogether. Their god is a forgiving god... That lets the people that don't believe in him burn in a hell.... What would be the point of that? If god is love, then he shouldn't have an ounce of hate in him, correct? But if he let people go to hell for simply disbelieving in him, I'd say he has a good deal of hate there too. Thoughts?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    What is the purpose of Hell then? If I'm not mistaken, the whole Hell thing is a punishment for your sins. Or... Satan's just a sadist?

No, I am not misunderstanding. It's all based on beliefs. If I do not believe in God, I have no reason to go to Hell. Same with people who follow other religions. As much as Christians believe in God, Muslims believe in Allah, and so on.

Do animals go to Hell? Why weren't people aware of God before religion was created?

Hell is punishment for our sins. Eternal separation from God. Animals don't go to Hell or Heaven because they don't have souls. Could our cute furry friends be in Heaven, possibly. God is loving; He wouldn't put animals in Hell. People have a void, a pit, if you will. They thirst for something. People fill it with idols, objects, and such. That is how religion was founded. Jesus Christ is the only way to fill the void.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Animals don't go to Hell or Heaven because they don't have souls.

Since human beings have little knowledge of what actually constitutes a "soul" that only humans have them is a pretty arrogant claim to make. I would therefore challenge you to demonstrate, without the usage of religious texts (which aren't proof) how human beings have souls and animals do not. Let's not forget that human beings are animals as well. Some people just don't like to be reminded of that.

Jesus Christ is the only way to fill the void.

According to your particular brand of religious belief. However, once again it would be arrogant to say that one way is the only true way to live one's life and find fulfillment, spiritual or otherwise.

There are many different philosophies in life, and many different religions. But despite these differences we would be amazed by the similarities they all share. It's like a multi-forked road branching off from one point and then meeting together again at another. We may each of us start off taking different roads, but in the end, our destination is the same: to live our lives to the fullest; to do what we can to make our lives have meaning.

Back