• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is God?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Okay, I get it. But you still mentioned "constantly challenging and questioning the Church". Every person I mentioned was strongly devout in his faith, and disobeyed none of the teachings of the Church.

Yes, they were. But as I also said, sometimes by questioning the church's teachings your faith could in fact be strengthened. It's more of a personal challenge rather than an institutional one. When you accept a certain teaching as fact without testing it or challenging it, you quickly close the door to other possibilities. That is why I said blind faith is the fastest path to ignorance. But by questioning and challenging your own beliefs as taught to you by the church (or any other group) you have the opportunity to gain a better understanding of not only the world around you but of your own faith as well. It might make you interpret those teachings differently.

I have often read about priests who prefer that the followers of their particular faith to constantly challenge and question them on the church's teachings, because as they put it, it helps those people to better understand and gain a better appreciation for their faith.

Challenging and questioning your church is not the same as trying to discredit it.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    a backwards dog.

Suppose I'll tell a little story now that I've answered the question. I was raised a Catholic and went to a Catholic school but I lost my faith right around the same time I realised the tooth fairy was actually my parents. Whether it's Odin, Mahalaksmi, Tiamat, Zeus or Janus, my thoughts are the same. If people feel comfort in worshipping whoever or whatever they worship, and if people get thrills from following them as an example; then as long as they don't infringe on anyone else, or enforce their beliefs upon others as the "correct" one, then I'm okay with it. And if they don't... well, best we don't find out what happens then, eh? It's pretty cool to see what people worshipped in the past though, and it's interesting how the worship of a higher power has evolved with time. My culture is unfortunately bland. There's Christianity which I'd say maybe 1 in 10 people take it at least semi-seriously these days; and the majority are very old and a lot of them pull the religion into disrepute; any foreign religious cultures don't really have much of a hold here. Though I guess maybe cities like Birmingham and London might have more luck? Not sure. Either way, England is a pretty apathetic and dull place religiously, for the most part. Maybe people have fascinating personal beliefs, and that seems like a nice thought, but I think in a lot of cases, people just get on with things without really pondering the BIG QUESTIONS.

Gods are a kinda important cultural sorta influence though. The fact we know of so many of them from what we've been able to find from the past is a sign of just how many cultures we've wiped out. And I say we've... but I do think England has been very bad for that sort of culture if you look back at our blood-stained track record. There's a lot to learn from these cultures, and I find the best way to go is to mix and match. Would we sacrifice our livestock these days? No, that's animal cruelty. But even then, they had some views that were spot on with modern society even today, such as "all things in moderation" for example. One of my favourite things from my awful period of studying Latin was the story of Philemon and Baucis; and how back then, it was seen that you could potentially actually have godly visitors to your home, and there's a fair few tales like that. Would such hospitality happen in modern society? Almost certainly not. Of course, I don't know if such hospitality would have occurred for certain then, either... but there's no such message being sent out these days, eh?

I've gone on quite a tangent but uh, there was a point to all this I'm sure. I think it was that deities are fascinating and that while I don't view them literally, there's still interesting things to be found out from each culture, as long as you're willing to keep an open mind about it. Humanity spends far too long quibbling about whether this god or the other one or none of them exist, and far too little time taking in the deeper messages from every faith. thank you and good night.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    If you define secular as inherently not neutral, what do you define neutral as? By that logic, certainly the author being Christian would imply a bias towards Christianity. Since the options are atheist/agnostic, non-religious, Christian, or religion but not Christian, which one of these options is neutral? I would argue the one without religion would be the most neutral.

I would think agnostic is neutral... They don't know of there is or isn't a god, if there is a Heaven or hell. They would be neutral because they have nothing to be biased about.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Reactions: Tek

droomph

weeb
    Years
    i'm gonna sidestep all the asfjldgh here and say what i have to say

whatever you want it to be.

doesn't have to be anything in particular, you don't have to have one.

if you think about it long and hard enough, you'll come up with the right answer.

the right answer could be anything. so think thoroughly and be open-minded. You'll get the answer one day.

Tek

Years
    "I think that the Bible ought to be ceremoniously and reverently burned every Easter. We need it no more, because the Spirit is with us.

It's a dangerous book. And to worship it, of course, is a far more dangerous idolatry than bowing down to images of wood or stone. Nobody in his senses can confuse a wooden image with God. But you can very easily confuse a set of ideas with God, because concepts are more rarified and abstract.

But supposing we are really quiet - we don't think. Be absolutely silent through and through. You say 'Oh, well, you'll just fall into a blank!' Oh? Ever tried?

You don't come to the temple to chatter, but to 'be still, and know that I am God.'"

- Alan Watts

There is a growing interest in spirituality, a growing feeling that there is something more to life than what we generally see. The popularity of posts like this, and the one about life after death, are a testament to that, as are the flood of Christian movies being produced in Hollywood and released in our theaters.

And yet, and yet... as we seek Mystery, we continue to kick around ideas and theories and philosophies of what it might be, or whether it exists. All of that has its place, but none of it will show you what God is. That's the question, right? What is God?

The mystic is one who has realized, directly, union with God/Spirit/Mystery/Ground/The Absolute. Jesus, in his mystical Christ consciousness, prayed that "They may be one, as the Father and I are one." So be still, and know I Am; in the stillness you may just remember who you are. This is the true 'Good News' of the Gospel.

If you are brave enough, and open enough, then take the path of the mystic. Bring your attention to that which is common to your every experience. There is one thing that has never come, and never gone, and never changes. When you find it, you will know beyond doubt what the Mystery is, and you will probably find that all theoretical ideas about it are completely meaningless.

That's one of the defining characteristics of Spirit, for it lies beyond any logical categories. You can't even say that it is everything, for that implies a nothing that it is not... All descriptions fall into gibberish. But the experience is unmistakable, and very real indeed. And there are two other distinct feelings commonly reported by those who have had this mystical experience.

The first is that the entire universe is your body. Which, theoretically speaking, is a true fact, but it is a far cry from our typical felt perception. Quantum physics tells us that the universe is a seamless, interwoven coat, with no boundaries to be found anywhere. And we hear this, and think "Well that's interesting, but so what?" The theory is just words and concepts. But people who've had the mystical experience, and live in it, are often the most secure people you'll ever meet. They have seen, concretely, that their being is infinite. What then, could threaten them?

The second feeling brought forth by the mystical experience is that every single thing and event is in exactly the right place in a harmonious, gloriously interwoven tapestry - from the smallest dust mote to the greatest cruelty to the utterly weird and strange. Which is also presented as a theory or philosophy, in an effort to bring about the mystical experience, which is "trying to make the tail wag the dog." The words mean little compared to the incredible peace and happiness that the actual experience brings about.

"You are the light of the world." Not in the sense that you have some special talent. You do not become the light of the world after you accept the enormous shame and guilt presented by traditional Christian institutions, and then accept that Jesus is saving you from the punishment that you deserve. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that you can either do or not do about being the Light of the world, because it is not something you personally are responsible for. But you can choose to recognize it, and be conscious of it.

Jesus became a Christ through this realization, and it was his fervent hope that everyone could do the same. Whether people do or do not is ultimately irrelevant; everything is in its right place. But when you have had this incredible liberation from the bondage of human suffering, the only appropriate course of action to share it with the world, in the hopes that others may be liberated, too.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    What are your views on God? What were you told that God is or what have you researched about it?
    I'm a Christian so I believe that God created the world, sent his son to die for us, and is coming again, to put it shortly anyway.

Do you think is important to consider that its out there?
    Yes, I do. It is important to consider all possibilities, while people who don't believe in God will tell you it is ignorant to believe in Him, they are being ignorant as well. If someone tells me its ignorant of me not to accept their beliefs, how is it not ignorant of them not to accept mine?

How is that the idea of God has affected you in your own culture?
    It's made me a better person, and it lets me see people/the world differently.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    What are your views on God? What were you told that God is or what have you researched about it?
    I think that God is really an energy that pushes our universe forward.

Not really, it's technically an inanimate object that's a part of everything.

My view? Not a whole lot. I've been surrounded by fundementalist Christian people for a while in my hometown though which lead to some skirmishes.

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
    What are your views on God? What were you told that God is or what have you researched about it? 'God' is a convenient lie created by ignorant humans to help them feel secure by creating a benevolent higher power that 'explains' everything that they do not understand, such as why we are on this planet.

Not at all. I believe that society would be much better off if it rejected all forms of religion.

It has created nothing but struggle. My parent's ignorance and false belief in such a god has created such a rift that sooner or later they will never hear from me again.

Back