• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is God?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Ask your parents. They were the ones who raised you after all. Can't blame them? Don't blame religion.

I do, actually. I was told that they would pull me from my school and my friends if I didn't get Confirmed in the church. They said they would not tolerate having a delinquent daughter. They also kicked me out for being gay when I first came out. Hmm.

It is the religion. That is when children are baptized. Hell I know one church that did Confession and Baptism all in one, and she was six weeks old.

CCC 1252 said:
    The practice of infant Baptism is an immemorial tradition of the Church. There is explicit testimony to this practice from the second century on, and it is quite possible that, from the beginning of the apostolic preaching, when whole "households" received baptism, infants may also have been baptized.

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    I do, actually. I was told that they would pull me from my school and my friends if I didn't get Confirmed in the church. They said they would not tolerate having a delinquent daughter. They also kicked me out for being gay when I first came out. Hmm.

It is the religion. That is when children are baptized. Hell I know one church that did Confession and Baptism all in one, and she was six weeks old.

That's... terrible. I know you don't want it, but I'm sorry for what you've been put through.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    The theist's answer to everything.

Fun fact, according to the CCC, it's the fault of religious believers that atheism even exists because you didn't do your job and educate us.

Whoops.

Earlier in the discussion someone said that atheists, or people that don't believe in the Abrahamic god do not have morals. That they are jerks.

I comment on this again, because I am an atheist. I was once a devout, very very devout, Catholic. I was an active member in my church. I used to brag about becoming a nun when I was younger.

Then, I learned. I learned the truth about religion. Why my questions weren't answered or why I shouldn't even ask. I learned the sexist ways of Christianity when I could not step foot on the altar when I was a visitor in a different church, because I was a woman, even though I'd been a head server for three years, and an altar server for ten. I received all the Sacraments appropriate for my age. (Baptism, Eucharist, Confession, Confirmation)

To this day I still can recite every prayer I ever learned.

I learned of other religions. I learned, I spent my whole life learning and studying religion, especially Abrahamic religions. I learned I was indoctrinated. I learned I had no choice in my own belief system as a child. Every child is born atheist, our parents, our surroundings, shape our beliefs.

Do I not have morals? I donate money regularly to shelters. I co-own a food shelf that feeds over two thousand families a month. I volunteer my time at multiple nursing homes. All my animals are rescued. I run a LGBT alliance at my former high school. My food shelf does a AIDS food/medical donation program. I would, and have, given the coat off my back for a stranger. I work to save lives as an ambulance tech, and am going to become a paramedic when I go back to school.

I go out of my way to live an honest life while giving back to the community.

Yet god would hate me. Because I'm homosexual. Because I love my girlfriend and would do anything for her, just as any other person would who loved another. I cannot marry my girlfriend in the church that I spent my childhood in, that I grew up in. Hell, until recently I could not marry in the very state I lived in because homophobic Christians made it illegal. God would hate me because I questioned its existence. In my religion, as a woman, I was nothing more than an object.

I never turned my back on religion. I embraced it. I learned everything I could, not about my own, but of every one I could. I'm not an atheist because I 'hate god'. I'm not an atheist because I hate religion. I am atheist because I know better. I am atheist because I am no longer ignorant of religion. I am atheist because I am not a sheep; I am my own person. I am my own person who makes her own choices on what to believe or what not to.

Does that make me immoral? Evil? A jerk? A terrible person?

Why don't I believe in god?

The better question is; why would I?

God doesn't hate you! He loves you! He wants to have a relationship with you! Works don't get you into Heaven.

I will post as a general reply to what has been happening:

Denominations. Atheists say the Bible has many different meanings and interpretations that we can't use it. I'm Presbyterian. Me and a Catholic have the same basic beliefs, we just do some things differently and interpret some things differently. Does that mean the Catholic or I aren't Christians? No! We both believe God died on the cross for our sins and rose again 3 days later.

Regarding dinosaurs: one day could equal a million years or so. But, I disagree. Lee Strobel explains in his video, a Case for a Creator, that didn't happen. The idea allows for many ideas we go against. The earth is about 6k years old. We know this by counting all the years throughout the Bible. Dinosaurs could have lived with people. Why? Sin wasn't as bad way back then (except for Sodom and Gemorah and some other stuff.). Generally sin wasn't as bad. Dinosaurs wouldn't attack people.

The Devil. GOD punishes people. He will punish the Devil when Jesus returns. And someone said Heaven and Hell are different for each person. Burning in a lake of fire and stuff for eternity is pretty bad. Heaven, for the true believer, will be awesome!

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Regarding dinosaurs: one day could equal a million years or so. But, I disagree. Lee Strobel explains in his video, a Case for a Creator, that didn't happen. The idea allows for many ideas we go against. The earth is about 6k years old. We know this by counting all the years throughout the Bible. Dinosaurs could have lived with people. Why? Sin wasn't as bad way back then (except for Sodom and Gemorah and some other stuff.). Generally sin wasn't as bad. Dinosaurs wouldn't attack people.

Wait, so you actually believe the Earth is 6000 years old? o.o

...I really don't know how to respond to this.

The Devil. GOD punishes people. He will punish the Devil when Jesus returns. And someone said Heaven and Hell are different for each person. Burning in a lake of fire and stuff for eternity is pretty bad. Heaven, for the true believer, will be awesome!

So how do you respond to the Jewish idea that the idea of hell is for losers is contrary to the concept of an omnibenevolent God? I mean, like you said, having your soul being burned in a lake of sulfur for all eternity is... pretty bad. I'm just looking for different views and opinions here.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    As said, the Bible doesn't really bring up hell often other than vague mentions of lakes of fire and stuff like that. However, there is a concept floating around out there that "hell" could well be a prison you make for yourself based on your actions and isn't some massive pit of lava that everyone just gets haphazardly thrown into. Not that I'd know, I haven't been there lately.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    Wait, so you actually believe the Earth is 6000 years old? o.o

...I really don't know how to respond to this.

So how do you respond to the Jewish idea that the idea of hell is for losers is contrary to the concept of an omnibenevolent God? I mean, like you said, having your soul being burned in a lake of sulfur for all eternity is... pretty bad. I'm just looking for different views and opinions here.

Jewish people believe that if your good works outweigh your wrongs than you will get to Heaven. Is that what you are asking?

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    What are your views on God? What were you told that God is or what have you researched about it? I believe there could be a God and myself, I'm a christian but I'm not gonna go around trying to spread Jehovah's Witness and nor am I religious. I was raised in a christian family but I have complete different beliefs in Christianity than my family. I don't take other peoples words about God because I believe you yourself should believe what you want and I have had extraordinary things happen to me in life to give me enough proof that God exists. It's not proof for anyone else but it's my own proof. I myself used to have a disbelief in God but that changed after I had no money or food and people I didn't even know nor did they know me just came to my door and gave me boxes full of food. Coincidence? I don't think so because only me myself and I knew about my situation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2015
    God to me is just the essence of all things being, it is not a person or anything like that, there is no right or wrong.

We are all like a collective of consciousness beings which I believe is all at one in the root of things, not so much the same when you account each mind being wired differently to think differently about each thing. but when that is stripped away.

there is no heaven or hell in my opinion, that was a old myth of when knowledge was very scarce when they even believed you could fall of the end of earth..etc

Just going on my gut feelings and my limited knowledge.

Properly talking a load of tripe to you all.

What ever floats your boat I say.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Jewish people believe that if your good works outweigh your wrongs than you will get to Heaven. Is that what you are asking?

No. I'm asking what you think of hell as a place of punishment and eternal torture in contrast to a supposedly all-loving God sending you there. Again, I'm just collecting different views and opinions.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    No. I'm asking what you think of hell as a place of punishment and eternal torture in contrast to a supposedly all-loving God sending you there. Again, I'm just collecting different views and opinions.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'm going to state my opinion. You asked a very good point and I myself wonder this question too. Being a Christian I'm not sure that I believe in the whole "heaven and hell" thing as much as there being a higher power. I strongly believe that there could be a higher power and God could be anything. I also find it hard that an all-loving God would send someone he created to be tortured and punished in hell as well.

Again, I'm a Christian but I'm not a bible thumper and I HATE bible thumpers; but if Jesus really did die for our sins to forgive us then wouldn't that mean no matter what sins we commit that nobody would descend to hell? Would that mean no matter their religion other than Christianity or other forms of Christianity that he would automatically accept them into heaven since anyone can be "forgiven"? Let's use war as an example using the 6th Commandment "Thou shall not kill". While in war you are given a rifle to kill another man. While the deaths are for a good cause isn't it still breaking that Commandment? No matter what you still killed somebody.

Tek

Years
    Which allows for several inconsistencies, tales to have been modified over the course of the years, details to have been rewritten a hundred times... which makes it nothing more than a book of tales. Whether they are written by one person or several doesn't change anything (other than explaining the stark contrasts in tone over the pages, from a vengeful god which murders thousands with a flick to a loving one).

I still don't see how your personal opinion of the Bible holds any bearing on my arguments. Can we drop this part of the discussion now?

Let's go to the wikipedia article and look at the first line:

It's perfectly correct and fine if you want to use the Integral Theory to explain what god is for you, and I didn't really want to go in there because it's a perfectly fine definition. The thing is, the definition in itself is the same as if we started discussing "what are the aliens for you", to talk we must first assume they exist. If you don't, well, that whole talk about defining god is little more than hypothesizing. And since everybody is free to do so, well, I didn't really go there. I just went for the parts where you claimed you can prove god exists.

There are theorems and equations explaining the mechanism of gravity. Does that make gravity an abstraction, a mere theory? No, it does not.

Yes, there is a such thing as Integral Theory. Yes, it does account for quadrants and levels. This does not make quadrants and levels theoretical.

People used to believe in magic, in gods creating thunder, because they didn't know how it happened. People believed in gods from the moment they were aware of their own death and afraid of disappearing as a way to find comfort.

Sure, that's what God was to many people in times past, and this type of relationship with God is still meaningful to many people today.

But as I clearly illustrated in my first post, there are also rational and post-rational ways of relating to God.

To say that because some people consider God as a magical superbeing, and to further say that such ideas are foolish, is an opinion, albeit an opinion with some merit. To go on to assert that anyone who has any type of relationship with something Transcendent is a fool? That's simply reducing all non-rational knowledge to pre-rational knowledge.

Notice how you are moving from "a defined God" to "Spirit", the concept of something magical and intangible that affects the world, which is something much blurrier.

I am using Spirit, God, and Mystery as synonyms, and have been doing so this entire time.

And last, people believe many things. That doesn't mean they are necessarily true, or even real.

In some ways, it does, in fact. This ties into your next question, so I'll describe how it does so below.

I would like you to explain which views are those and how they are "deeper". And whether they are anything more than stories, philosphies. My mom is a new-ager who firmly believed "the mind of the universe" was going to change in the Mayan calendar change and become "more open", and I don't really think she has a deeper understanding of the universe despite following a new philosophy.

In regards to the personal experience you just related, you may find this quotation both informative and amusing. It's from Wilber's book 'A Brief History of Everything.'

"Q: ... So there is an overall continuity to evolution, from physiosphere to biosphere to noosphere.

KW: Which makes sense, doesn't it? And as evolution moves into the noosphere, then - based on the work of numerous researchers, such as Jean Gebser, Pitrim Sorokin, Robert Bellah, Jürgen Habermas, Michael Foucalt, Peter Berger, to name a few - we can outline the predominant "worldviews" of the various epochs of human development. These stages, these worldviews, may be summarized as archaic, magic, mythic, rational, and existential...

The general point is fairly simple: different stages of consciousness growth present a different view of the world. The world looks different - is different - at each stage. As new cognitive capacities unfold and evolve, the Kosmos looks at itself with different eyes, and it sees quite different things...

Q: So these are different ways to look at the world?

KW: Yes, but we have to be very careful here. This might seem to be splitting hairs, but it really is very important: it's not that there is a single, pregiven world, and we simply look at it differently. Rather, it is that as the Kosmos comes to know itself more fully, different worlds emerge.

It's like an acorn growing to an oak. An oak isn't a different picture of the same in unchanging world present in the acorn. The oak has components in its own being that are new and quite different from anything found in the acorn. The oak has leaves, branches, roots, and so on, none of which are present in the acorn's actual "worldview" or "worldspace." Different worldviews create different worlds, enact different worlds, they aren't just the same world seen differently.

Q: I understand the distinction, but it does seem a bit of hairsplitting. Why exactly is this distinction important?

KW: It's crucially important, because in many ways it's the great watershed separating the modern and postmodern approaches to knowledge...

You've heard of the "new paradigm" approaches to knowledge?

Q: Well, only that everybody seems to want the new paradigm. Or a new paradigm, anyway.

KW: Yes, well the old paradigm that everybody doesn't want is the Enlightenment paradigm, which is also called the representation paradigm...

This is the idea that you have the self or the subject, on the one hand, and the empirical or sensory world, on the other, and all valid knowledge consists of making maps of the single and simple "pregiven" world. And if the map is accurate, if it correctly represents, or corresponds with, the empirical world, then that is "truth"...

Q: But what's wrong with the representation paradigm? I mean, we do it all the time.

KW: It's not that it's wrong. It's just narrow and very limited... There are many ways to summarize the limitations of the representation paradigm, the idea that knowledge basically consists of making maps of the world. But the simplest way to state the problem with maps is: they leave out the mapmaker. What was being utterly ignored was the fact that the mapmaker might itself bring something to the picture!...

Beginning with Kant, and running through Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Dilthey, Heidegger, Foucalt, Derrida - all of the great "postmodern" theorists - in all of them we find a powerful attack on the mapping paradigm, because it fails to take into account the self that is making the maps in the first place.

The self did not just parachute to earth. It has its own characteristics, its own structures, its own development, its own history - and all of those will influence and govern what it will see, and what it can see, in that supposedly "single" world just lying around. The parachutist is up to its neck in contexts and backgrounds that determine just what it can see in the first place!"

And how does this represent more depth? The postmodern existential/pluralistic worldview is deeper than the modern rational worldview because the former "transcends and includes" the latter. Pluralism incorporates rationalism while bringing its own new and emergent truth that allows us to get a broader picture of reality.

Also you go back to the argumentum ad populum: the fact that those new ways rely on god-ish beings doesn't mean they are necessarily right.

Hold on: you have just asserted that because something can account for God, within its scope, that God's existence is necessary for its validity. That assertion is clearly false. The post-rational worldviews do not rely on God. They simply are not at odds with Spirit and Mystery in the way that the rational worldview is.

My point is that rational thinking is almost exclusively materialistic. Pluralist thinking is sometimes materialistic, but often is not. Integral thinking, from what little of it has come into being, is entirely non-materialistic. It's certainly too early to draw a definite conclusion, but it's beginning to look like materialism is something to be outgrown as humanity evolves.

And it's not argumentum ad populum, either. Following the basic process if evolution, pluralistic transcends and includes rational, and integral, in turn, transcends and includes pluralistic. It's not just that "some believe it, so it's true." It's that deeper truths continue to emerge in this ever-evolving world. And as they do so, they show us the limitations of the previous truths.

It's the same process through which slavery was abolished in all industrialized nations. The techno-economic base at the time of the Enlightenment supported a worldview that all people were equal, regardless of what beliefs they held. Now we are at the point in history where reason, and its materialistic mapmaking, are being dethroned.

We now have an informational techno-economic base, which supports a worldview that re-affirms not only the importance of interior subjective spaces, but essentially re-establishes their existence, since modernity's basic position is that the only things that are really real are those with "simple location," the things you can point your finger at. Rationality would have us believe that since you can't put your finger on emotions or values or shared meaning, that all of these are simply minor considerations, unnecessary for describing the world.

Thereby, science has not only told us that it alone will solve the world's problems, it has basically tried to decide what is a problem in the first place. Well, that was fun for a while, but evolution moves on.

Oh, and there isn't much of a "scientific worldview", other than the fact that science tries to explain stuff that happens through experiments, evidence and earhtly logic, without relying on "magic" from a being from a higher plane of existence we can't see or touch, or even know whether it exists at all.

You just described the rational worldview and denied its existence in the same sentence.

What does this mean? I have looked around and never, ever in my life I have seen a god doing magic or miracles about me. I have never seen anybody turning water into wine. I have seen perfectly good explanations for basically any question I have ever had that do not require a magical being intervening. Why shouldn't I assume that there is a very good chance it isn't raining at all?

I'm not sure why we're reverting to the definition of Spirit as a "magical superhero in the sky." I've made it clear that this is not the only understanding of what Mystery is, and it's not the God I've been talking about.

What does this mean?

Philosophy (metaphysics) goes like this: premise/assumption -> reasoning -> conclusion -> verification/refutation.

Post-metaphysical ontology goes like this:
    Injunction -> observation -> conclusion -> verification/refutation.

Philosophy goes like this:
    All organic life is composed of smaller wholes. Therefore plants have "cells" that make up their apparently solid surfaces. And we would then debate the merits of the argument as presented.

Post-metaphysics goes like this:
    One looks at plant skin through a microscope. One sees little "cells" that compose the apparently solid surface. Therefore, a plant's surface is composed of cells. Others then look through the microscope, and report what they see.

If that's not clear enough, you're going to need to be more forthcoming about what it is you're not getting.

Well, yes, the four quadrants exist as a way to define god if you start from "god exists". If you don't, they do not define anything. That's a philosophy for me (and for Wikipedia it seems).

I mean, you could modify those areas to define how society works, without the need for a god. It's just a chewed gum somebody stuck on a worldview to take advantage of the fact that we can relate to that to make an argument for god, despite the fact no god is necessary for that worldview.

Everything that arises can be related to from any of the four basic perspectives that the quadrants represent. They are not being used to validate God's existence. What they are being used to illustrate is that when someone experiences God, they do so from one of these fundamental perspectives.

the experience of God

the experience

And there you go. That's what I wanted to say. The experience those people are living is real. That's all we can know for sure. Because, you know, there is no need for an actual god to exist for that person to feel "the experience" of god. You only need to make that person believe hard enough so it becomes real for them. It's that simple. The fact that a person who has interiorized the existence of god feels something special when doing an action intimately related to that god they believe in only proves the fact that humans can feel X under Y conditions, not that a God does exist.

I can make a person feel a terrible fear if I manage to convince them that there is a murderer on the room next door. That doesn't make the murderer real, but their feelings are.

When fear is experienced, that fear is real. When love is experienced, that love is real. When God is experienced, that God is...... not real??

THE ILLOGICALITY HURTS MY BRAIN

Your argument almost makes sense if you restrict your definition of God to a magical superhero again (which I have shown to be only one of at least twenty-eight fundamentally different ways of experiencing God). And yet it still falls short, because if someone is hearing God's voice in prayer, and we've verified that the brain-state correlates with the alleged mind-state, then God is real in that person's direct and immediate awareness; God exists in that worldspace, which is just as real as any other worldspace. And only someone with the same worldview who entered that same prayer-state could verify or refute that a magic superhero God was speaking.

The magic superhero is not fake or imaginary just because it does not arise in your experience. All you can actually say is that it doesn't exist in your worldspace, which is also a real worldspace. If you entered the same prayer-state as the other two, you might also hear God's voice. But he would be saying very different things to you, not at all fitting for a magic superhero, and he might even actually be a she! S/He'd likely be telling you to use your own careful discernment to solve your problems, or to make sure your information comes from a trustworthy source.

"Science is necessarily methodologically materialist. Science wishes to describe and explain nature. Diversion into the "supernatural" begins to describe and explain matters that are not natural and obfuscate the natural.
    Methodological materialism is a defining characteristic of science in the same way that "methodological woodism" is a defining characteristic of carpentry. Science seeks to construct natural explanations for natural phenomena in the same way that carpentry seeks to construct objects out of wood. In operating in this manner neither discipline denies the existence of supernatural forces or sheet plastics, their usefulness or validity. The use of either supernatural forces or sheet plastics is simply distinguished as belonging to separate disciplines. "

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Materialism

Last month, the videogame Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney was released in Europe. I won't spoil anything, but one of the most annoying things in the trials is that, since magic exists in the universe where the game plays, Phoenix has a ridiculously tougher time proving anything in court. "That piece of evidence was left in the wrong place, my client clearly couldn't have put it there!". In the real-world games, the prosecutor would say "Oh crap" loudly. In this magical world, though, they'd simply say "well she used magic!", and suddenly your argument isn't worth a penny.

Science is materialistic from the second it doesn't rely on "gods" using magic to explain reality. If we used "magic", in fact, we would be stuck praying to the saints for rain instead of using chemical products to induce it, because we wouldn't be fully sure about whether it does work or is nonsense. After all, it's ridiculously easy to move the goalposts when you are talking about "magic", something we cannot truly comprehend or replicate. Both views are respectable, but you can't expect the side that has decided to stick with nature to accept magic. That would mean turning science into a completely different discipline altogether.

We do not have to revert to magic to acknowledge God/Spirit/Mystery, as I clearly illustrated in my first post. So all of that is irrelevant.

As to materialism, it is simply a fashion. The general idea is that inner experiences are not repeatable or verifiable, but inner experiences are not just ignored, they are reduced to mere byproducts of their exterior correlates. Which is totally unnecessary, for one, and for another, inner experiences are both verifiable and repeatable, which is what the study I presented in my first post demonstrates.

Scientific inquiry comes with the rational worldview. The reductionism is sold separately.

Oh, and all your arguments are based on nothing more than an assumption that God does (or can, or perhaps should) exist. What does it make you think your assumption is more valid? (And I love the subtle ideas you are hinting at with the "should not", as if we "knew" god existed but were trying to actively deny it for who knows what nefarious reasons. Nice one, that).

Actually, I have heard it argued more than once that all religion, and by implication all experiences of God, are something to be eliminated. And this assertion invariably comes from those that are comparing the best of modernity with the worst of religious tradition, and using that unbalanced comparison to conclude that all religion is bad for humanity. Hence my terminology.

Regardless, you have said many times that my arguments are based on assumptions, or philosophy - metaphysics by any other name. You can say it many more times, and it will still be false.

What I have argued is that when people experience God, they do so from four basic perspectives. And they will interpret that experience according to what their worldview allows them to see.

Notice that you can replace "God" with "anything": when people experience anything, they do so from four basic perspectives. And they will interpret that experience according to what their worldview allows them to see.

This is not an assumption. It's an observation.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years

Ok, I see. To get to Heaven, you must be perfect. We sin and therefore not perfect. When Jesus died on the cross as our substitute, he paid for those sins. We could reach Heaven and a relationship with God by believing in Him, and what I have said above. If we don't, we go to Hell. God doesn't want that, but we have to be punished.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Regarding dinosaurs: one day could equal a million years or so. But, I disagree. Lee Strobel explains in his video, a Case for a Creator, that didn't happen. The idea allows for many ideas we go against. The earth is about 6k years old. We know this by counting all the years throughout the Bible

The problem with your assertion that the world is only approximately 6000 years old is that the foundation of that belief is the Bible. But the Bible, however, isn't a historical document, and no biblical scholar would ever claim it to be one. It is a collection of stories and parables that have been handed down from generation to generation, and wasn't written down in any form until long after the original stories were told. By that time the original story was lost and what was left were stories that had little resemblance to the originals. We know this through experimentation.

Gather a group of people and have them form a circle. One person is chosen to read into another's ear (so the others can't hear) a sentence or two from a piece of paper. That second person, only going by what they've heard and not reading from the paper, then tells the next person, and then that person tells the next, and so on until everyone has been told what is on the paper. However, when the last person re-iterates what they had heard, what they say does not resemble the original words. And the sentence, or sentences, are completely different. The same is true with the Bible. I doubt there was anyone alive when the Bible was written who had an inkling as to what the original stories were. Likewise it is impossible for anyone in this century to know either. Especially given the fact that the Bible has been translated and re-translated over and over again. Currently there are more than a hundred different versions of the Bible, all with their unique translations. How can anyone truly claim that their version is the correct one? That would be the textbook definition of arrogance to do so.

Therefore, the words written in the Bible, beautifully written as they may be, are an unreliable source as a historical document. You would have to make some really serious--and I dare say acrobatic--leaps of logic to come up with the conclusion that the world is only 6000 years old, using the Bible as the only source of reference.

Ok, I see. To get to Heaven, you must be perfect. We sin and therefore not perfect. When Jesus died on the cross as our substitute, he paid for those sins. We could reach Heaven and a relationship with God by believing in Him, and what I have said above. If we don't, we go to Hell. God doesn't want that, but we have to be punished.

And this is where the arrogance of the Church is displayed in full force. Believe in my God, in my religion, or you go to hell. What a terrible thing to tell anyone. At its core it's a threat, used by the Church as a method to control others. The problem with the theory that a person can only get to heave if they believe in Jesus is that it automatically condemns billions of people around the world to an eternity of pain and suffering (assuming there is an actually place called Hell) because either of them have even heard of Jesus, much less Christianity, or who follow a different religion entirely because of where they live. It assumes that all Atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, Mormons, those of the Bahá'í faith, Candomblés, Hindus, Jainists, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. will never achieve peace in an afterlife unless they all convert to Christianity.

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    And this is where the arrogance of the Church is displayed in full force. Believe in my God, in my religion, or you go to hell. What a terrible thing to tell anyone. At its core it's a threat, used by the Church as a method to control others. The problem with the theory that a person can only get to heave if they believe in Jesus is that it automatically condemns billions of people around the world to an eternity of pain and suffering (assuming there is an actually place called Hell) because either of them have even heard of Jesus, much less Christianity, or who follow a different religion entirely because of where they live. It assumes that all Atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, Mormons, those of the Bahá'í faith, Candomblés, Hindus, Jainists, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. will never achieve peace in an afterlife unless they all convert to Christianity.

You're mistaking every religious person in the world for ultra conservative Christians and Muslims, and the idiots who run Westboro Baptist Church.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    You're mistaking every religious person in the world for ultra conservative Christians and Muslims, and the idiots who run Westboro Baptist Church.

No, I accurately portray official position of churches of various denomination who in the past, and even recently, have iterated that only by believing in a particular figurehead one can get to heaven. This is not a radical concept restricted to fundamentalists or extremists, but is in fact a common belief told by various churches all over the world.

Also, it's important to note that I clearly stated that the threat is one issued by the Church, not by its followers (although some followers do agree). Not every follower of a particular faith believes 100% the teachings of that faith. For example, a huge majority of those who self-identify as Catholics not only have no problem with birth control, they use it themselves.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    See in any culture, God are said to be humans who used to live years ago and they got enlightment and they use to do good deeds and they now live in heaven to Take care of us and to see that we don't do anything wrong. Its just imaginary and i don't think god is anywhere, its just all thinking and devotion of people!

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    The problem with your assertion that the world is only approximately 6000 years old is that the foundation of that belief is the Bible. But the Bible, however, isn't a historical document, and no biblical scholar would ever claim it to be one. It is a collection of stories and parables that have been handed down from generation to generation, and wasn't written down in any form until long after the original stories were told. By that time the original story was lost and what was left were stories that had little resemblance to the originals. We know this through experimentation.

Gather a group of people and have them form a circle. One person is chosen to read into another's ear (so the others can't hear) a sentence or two from a piece of paper. That second person, only going by what they've heard and not reading from the paper, then tells the next person, and then that person tells the next, and so on until everyone has been told what is on the paper. However, when the last person re-iterates what they had heard, what they say does not resemble the original words. And the sentence, or sentences, are completely different. The same is true with the Bible. I doubt there was anyone alive when the Bible was written who had an inkling as to what the original stories were. Likewise it is impossible for anyone in this century to know either. Especially given the fact that the Bible has been translated and re-translated over and over again. Currently there are more than a hundred different versions of the Bible, all with their unique translations. How can anyone truly claim that their version is the correct one? That would be the textbook definition of arrogance to do so.

Therefore, the words written in the Bible, beautifully written as they may be, are an unreliable source as a historical document. You would have to make some really serious--and I dare say acrobatic--leaps of logic to come up with the conclusion that the world is only 6000 years old, using the Bible as the only source of reference.

Again, it's their choice. We all have free will.

The Bible is actually one of the best historical documents. The gospels were written after Jesus's death by His apostles. If their was a mistake, their was a whole community to fix it. The New Testament was written by His disciples and apostles, most of them eye-witnesses. Again, if their was a mistake, it would have been corrected. Even the Jews who witnessed the events and miracles couldn't deny what happened.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Again, it's their choice. We all have free will.

Yes, it is. But just so we're clear, faith is not fact.

The Bible is actually one of the best historical documents. The gospels were written after Jesus's death by His apostles. If their was a mistake, their was a whole community to fix it. The New Testament was written by His disciples and apostles, most of them eye-witnesses. Again, if their was a mistake, it would have been corrected. Even the Jews who witnessed the events and miracles couldn't deny what happened.

Strictly from a historical point of view:

The universe, as presented literally in the Bible, consists of a flat earth within a geocentric arrangement of planets and stars (e.g. Joshua 10:12–13, Eccles. 1:5, 1 Chron. 16:30). However, modern astronomy has provided overwhelming evidence that this model is false. Therefore, the passages cannot even remotely be seen as historical fact.

Second, according to young Earth creationists (of which it is apparent you are), that take a literal view of the book of Genesis, the universe and all forms of life on Earth were created directly by God sometime between 5,700 and 10,000 years ago (hence your stated belief that the world is about 6000 years old). But this assertion is contradicted by radiocarbon dating of fossils, as well as modern understanding of genetics, evolution, and cosmology. You would have to dismiss all sciences and the facts discovered through long and careful study in order to sustain your belief in a young Earth.

Now, as you indicated, you are perfectly free to believe as you wish. However, that does not alter the fact that beliefs cannot be considered factual. In order for something to be considered fact it must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. This is what science does that faith does not. The only thing historical about the bible are how long ago the stories that are contained within were written.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm going to come out of my lurking corner for a bit....

When fear is experienced, that fear is real. When love is experienced, that love is real. When God is experienced, that God is...... not real??

THE ILLOGICALITY HURTS MY BRAIN

The thing here is that anyone who has experienced God presumes that what they experienced must be God because they already believe that God/gods/a higher power exists. But how do we know that what they experienced was, in fact, a God/gods/higher power? Not everyone has the same experience when it comes to deities.

Which then brings up the problem of: What is God? That IS the thread title, but its something that's hardly been touched upon by you guys, and its important to consider in this mess of a discussion y'all have going on here. Is God a magical human-esque entity? A multi-dimensional wavelength? A flying mass of spaghetti and meatballs? The innermost reaches of the human psyche? Beings from another world? Something else entirely?

If nobody even know what the hell a God is, how can we know that people have had experiences with a god? Because of some pre-conceived notion that there is/are one(s)? For all we know, those people could've encountered something else.

And only someone with the same worldview who entered that same prayer-state could verify or refute that a magic superhero God was speaking.
    Oh, so you have to already believe in a God in order to experience a god? Well, I believe that Arceus is the one true God, but if you want me to prove it to you, you have to think the same way as me. Tek, that's a crappy arguement and you should know it. You can't pull that one if you're trying to convince people who don't believe in the existence of a God/gods/higher power.

...Well, there's me putting my 2 cents in. Probably didn't come out quite right...

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years

For the record, I was brought up in the Catholic church and I never once heard one of my priests or elder parishioners use the term "saved" or "born-again". I was always taught and I choose to believe that your spot in Heaven or Hell is 100% works-based. If you live a life of peace, you get rewarded in Heaven and if you live a life of chaos and sin, you get punished in Hell. The idea that you have to "accept Jesus into your heat" or some other silly line like that is purely a Protestant thing.

It's as the old saying goes, works without faith are lame, and faith without works are blind.

Back