• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the anti-virus program installed in your computer?

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
Years
  • I have ClamXAV on my MacBook and iMac, and ESET Smart Security on our PC (since we use it on the government network at work).

Zet

Years
  • ESET NOD32 is all I need, has a great detection rate, doesn't slow down computer performance, on demand scan etc what else do you need?

Years
  • ESET NOD32 is all I need, has a great detection rate, doesn't slow down computer performance, on demand scan etc what else do you need?
    I've used it in the past, but then they went all commercial and turned the free edition into a trial. I know you can crack it, but I'm not keen to give my AV company a reason to get pissed off. Be nice to people that protect you and know how to make your life a misery should you stuff them around.

As a result, I've gone with Avira Antivir. I haven't run into a problem since I started using it. I can't vouch for AVG in that regard. =P It's not a performance hog, scans are very fast and it's totally free. My only issue is that updates can lag a little occasionally, but that's fine to let them think in the background. :D

I just thought it's worth mentioning that you should nearly always go with a 'Guard' antivirus, rather than a simple scanner. You can find a virus or other malware can already have covered your computer before your next scheduled scan comes along.

Camisado

Years
  • I've used it in the past, but then they went all commercial and turned the free edition into a trial. I know you can crack it, but I'm not keen to give my AV company a reason to get pissed off. Be nice to people that protect you and know how to make your life a misery should you stuff them around.

Are you suggesting that people here haven't paid for it? =|

Years
  • Are you suggesting that people here haven't paid for it? =|
    I didn't suggest they hadn't, but I know people that have done it, and I wanted to explain why before anyone suggested that. Plus, not using one of THE major AV suites, can help avoid direct attacks on those programs, to some degree. I remember hearing about direct attacks on Norton a while ago...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • My ratings:
    ClamXAV on my MacBook and iMac
    Good enough for a Mac.
    ESET Smart Security on our PC.
    Good
    ESET NOD32
    Good
    Trend Micro Internet Security
    Good

Avira Antivir
    Good

AVG Free 2008
    Acceptable

Trend Micro Internet Security
    Good

I use Sophos Anti Virus
    Unsure, but I was quite pleased with their tool to get rid of Conficker on networks (I think that was Sophos).

Overall, looks like you guys are using some good software (though AVG is starting to slip).

I've had really bad experiences with it, and I think Zet and others will back me up. It's better than nothing, but it's not the best. AVG were good once upon a time, but they sort of let their integrity slip...
    It's acceptable for general use, but it's not the best anymore. There are better free products now. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad, though.

Are you suggesting that people here haven't paid for it? =|
    Probably. Don't ask who and there won't be a problem.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I currently use Avast! It works fine but I get irritated every time a notification pops up with a narrator saying "virus database has been updated." There's probably a way to turn it off but I can't be bothered.

I used to use AVG Free but a friend suggested me to change.

Camisado

Years
  • I have far too much of a conscience to not pay for software licenses.

I should add, I've now changed from ClamXAV to ProtectMac AntiVirus as Apple seem to have recommended the most. It looks really good so far. I may be tempted to buy a license after the trial expires.

Years
  • Sophos: Unsure, but I was quite pleased with their tool to get rid of Conficker on networks (I think that was Sophos).

AVG: It's acceptable for general use, but it's not the best anymore. There are better free products now. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad, though.
    Sophos has great reviews, last time I checked, it's one of the best commercial products there are, but I remember it being pricey, too. Our school uses it on their network and, although I obviously don't have much to do with it, it's quiet and the school's never had any security issues.

I know what you're saying about AVG, but I never actually said it was bad, just that I've had bad experiences with it. Last time I had it running, it let in a virus and then couldn't find it when I did an update and scan. I ended up tracking it down myself and looking it up on google from there. Only to find it was several months old and there were other that had had AVG let it through, but only AVG. Aside from that, I feel the program has become less intuitive and efficient over the years. That's why I said I'd had bad experiences with it - it may only have been a one-off slip-up, but that's enough to compromise the security and give it a bad image.

Of course, if you have it installed and don't manage the computers security yourself, then it's best to leave it there, rather than to mess around with alternatives.

Back