• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favorite/least favorite pokemon game?

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    Favorite: SoulSilver. I always loved Johto... and though I've always loved Kanto because it was where it all started, Johto oddly holds more nostalgia for me. I love the follow feature on HG/SS, I love the graphics, I love the Pokemon available, and I just love Johto. I, also, love the starters.

Least Favorite: It would have to be Emerald. Emerald was great the first time I played through it, but now playing through it just often feels like a chore. There's too much plot related stuff to do and unlike other games, the plot related stuff grows really boring.

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    Favorite: Soul Silver & Heart Gold. It was just a major improvement from the games I grew up playing and the remakes only made my favorite generation even better

Least Favorite: Fire Red & Leaf Green. D/P came close to being my least favorite but at least D/P had some decent music and a storyline that actually tried to mean something. Don't get me wrong I loved 1st generation but I think FR/LG were not good remakes of it. They lacked a decent soundtrack, the in-battle sprites/graphics got annoying and the gameplay was soooo slow.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Emerald hands down =).

-Best battle frontier
    - best contests
    - best legendaries

The only problems with it is its lower level elite four and the fact the game is overdue for a remake.

Least favorite: pearl

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    Favorite: HeartGold and SoulSilver

Gold and Silver were already great games, and Nintendo took what was great about the two games, and made them even better. Not only was the Eusine and Suicune subplot from Crystal integrated into the remakes, but there was the added subplot with the Kimono Girls and Ho-Oh/Lugia. I thought It was great that you could have a rematch against each Gym Leader. The only problems are that I wish you could do more after defeating Red, and that I wish that they included a Vs. Seeker.

Least Favorite: Ruby and Sapphire

The problem I had with these games was that there was not that much you could do after defeating the Elite Four. In Gold and Silver, you could go back to Kanto, and challenge the Gym Leaders there. In Ruby and Sapphire, you couldn't go back to other regions, though Hoenn was a pretty big region. Also, I felt there were too many water routes as compared to other games, which usually included only one or two water routes. My biggest gripe was the fact that a majority of the old Pokemon were uncatchable, and until the released of Colosseum, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Emerald, you could only get all 386 Pokemon through cheat codes.

Luckily, the problem of not having much to do after the Elite Four was fixed with Emerald, which added the Battle Frontier, which included 7 Frontier Brains, which were a lot like Gym Leaders, and you could also rematch the 8 gym leaders. These aren't bad games, but they are pretty much obsolete in comparison to Emerald, which unlike Yellow and Crystal before it, added a lot to the paired titles it enhanced.

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Favorite: SoulSilver and White. Both have a surprising amount of cool extra features and such, though I feel SS has the slight edge. White shines for its storyline and characters too.

Least Favorite: Diamond. Most of the Sinnoh Pokemon are fairly boring, the game relies too much on older Pokemon, and the game had too much padding that made it run very slowly.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Favourite Main Series: Black and White, because of the 3D effects, the much better storyline, and generally shaking things up again

Favourite Spin-Off: Ranger, especially Shadows of Almia; they're really fun, and so much better than Mystery Dungeon

Least favourite Main Series: Definitely Diamond. It was really slow, and they didn't do anything to make it interesting; the storyline was archaic, and they could've done so much better like B/W

Least favourite Spin-Off: Mystery Dungeon, grr. I DON'T WANT TO BE A POKéMON. + it's crap.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Most favorite: SoulSilver..And Emerald.

Least Favorite: Diamond. Its boring. Sucky storyline, crappy Pokemon (Most at least..) and way too short. Plus, the figurehead of this generation SUCK. Besides maybe Giratina. I mean, they look crappy :/.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Favorite

Originals
    Red (), Green (), Blue (), and Yellow (ピカチュウ)
    - Yes, I'm talking about the original Japanese version, not Nintendo of America's dubbed Red and Blue. This game took everyone by storm. It feels good playing those game. Decent plot where Team Rocket tries to take over the world, Nice soundtrack, and decent gameplay. These Pokemon are actually good.

Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald - My most favorite of the series! It took a huge step forward after Gold and Silver with better changes such as the Berry mechanics, and introduces Nature, Ability, and Double Battle. Grinding is a breeze after defeating Norman which is your father depending on which gender you are. Good gameplay, awesome soundtrack, Nice plotline, and Good Pokemon. Hoenn was separated from Kanto and Johto, which is a good thing, because otherwise, it wouldn't have been good.

Remake
    Heart Gold and Soul Silver - DISCLAIMER! Before you call me a hypocrite for liking this game and not the original. I have to say this: It's an improvement of the original. Just because the original isn't good doesn't mean that this remake won't be good either. *Clears throat*

Heart Gold and Soul Silver took a huge step forward after Fire Red and Leaf Green, with new features such as Pokeathlon, and Safari Zone (that didn't exist in Gold, Silver, and Crystal prior to Black and White), and mechanics which originated in Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. The plot was enhanced which unlike the original where you have to fight them, in this version, you have to fight them after taking on Clair, the 8th Gym Leader, they are actually harder, not the annoying kind of hard unless you're under leveled. You are allowed to have Pokemon that aren't in the Johto Pokedex unlike in FR and LG. We have Kanto, but thankfully, it's the way it's meant to be with minor changes. After taking on Red, you are allowed to obtain the Kanto starters (from Prof. Oak) and Hoenn starters (from Steven Stone) and are able to capture new legendaries. OH! And they also have their mechanics which the IV stat gets passed down to their child. Overall, Heart Gold and Soul Silver are one of the remakes that are well put together.

Least Favorites

Original
    Gold, Silver, and Crystal - Those games aren't as good as RGBY. The plot line was mixed to horrible. There was Team Rocket trying to bring back Giovanni to become the leader but failed miserably. Those Pokemon aren't good when it comes to concepts. The biggest flaw is that after you defeat the Elite Four, you then have to explore, you guessed it, Kanto. Kanto wasn't good at all in Gold and Silver. It got nerfed into being bland meaning that you can't access Cerulean Cave, and Seafoam Island. Viridian Forest is nothing but just a part of Route 2. The only version I have beaten is Gold (when it comes to defeating Red). I am not joking at all! I couldn't get past Kanto on Silver and Crystal. On the positive note, both Legendaries and the Rival are unique. The Rival is the ONLY thing I see that Gold and Silver has what Ruby and Sapphire doesn't. All and all, it's a let down of the series. (No offense, Gen II fans) It used to be my favorite of the series as a child, mainly because I didn't realize those flaws as a child. If it weren't for Kanto being nerfed, it would have been better than Diamond and Pearl, but no. At least this game isn't as bad as the spinoffs I listed.

Spinoffs
    Hey You Pikachu, and Pokemon Channel - I have nothing to say about those two. Those games suck.

Back