• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What kind of nicknames do you use?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
Years
  • For people that nickname their Pokémon in the games, or would do that if they were real, what do you base your nickname in? I usually don't put nicknames but I want to know what kind of names you use and why.

Absolitude

Disaster in Absol clothing
    Years
  • I only used a nickname on a Pokemon once and it was for my Lairon, i named him Larry...Then he evolved into Aggron making his nickname obsolete because i made it sorta rhyme with his real name. I don't like nicknames that much.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • Depends...

Usually I give a name based of a charactistic on the Pokemon in question as long as it doesn't complete change when it evolves. Exception to this are Eeveelutions which i plan what I will evolve them to and give then the name before evolvution.

In real life it would be a slightly different story...because I would want to make sure that my pokemon liked thier nicknames before bestowing them with them.

Cala

Roll, Robin!
    Years
  • It depends for me...

Sometimes I'll just spell their name backwards (my Swampert, for example, who's nickname is Trepmaws). Sometimes after mythology (sp?) creatures, like... uh... I can't think of any right now. :/

I used to name them after my family members, like my Groudon's name is Phil (after my grandpa), and I don't intend to ever change it... Not that I can, I deleted my Ruby file, and Fire Red can't change it's name.

Differant things, I got the idea for naming my Blastoise "Hydra" from some cleaning product that was in my bathroom... >_>

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2017
    If I ever use nicknames, they usually have no basis whatsoever. I'm very random when it comes to those (although I think I called a Mudkip 'Whirl' once, which isn't completely off the map.). However, I've been known to name pokémon such as Gloom and Poochyena 'Sampson' and 'Zeek.' Go figure.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I used to try and make the sames sound pretty...but now..just things like Meowy, Skit..And so on. I don't put much effort into that, but if they were my favis. I'd consider it for a while of what to name them.

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Well, a nickname just usually pops into my head O_o But when it's for Pokemon I really like, and will use throughout the game, I name them after my favourite anime/game characters, like Roxas, Roy (Mustang) and Gray (Fullbuster).

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I gave them Japanese names, or the first amount of letters in there Japanese name, the names sound better. Or I use the first amount of letters in there English name, for ex: Mudkip (Muddie) and for Japan Bulbasuar (Fushigi)

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Bkue

(Ba-Kooo)
    Years
  • Well just a week or two ago I restarted my Blue version and nicknamed my Charmander Ya-Ya (my dog) other than that I ussually dont nickname pokemon. Sometimes I nickname them when an idea of their name pops into my name, Such as a Jigglypuff I'd name Puffy. Or a Wigglytuff I'd name Toughy. Or such.

But ussually If I know they'll evolve and the nickname wont make sense I just wont name them that (just look at what happened to Absolitude)

Prince Roserade

De LichtBloem
    Years
  • Usually I name Pokémon after gods, heroes, fictional characters, that kind of thing. Sometimes I just make 'em up or give 'em common names like Ruby or Sunshine or whatever. =P

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    I usually name the head male of my party "Jesus," or if it's a female, "Shaniqua..."

don't ask why, it's just kinda become a habit...

Prince Roserade

De LichtBloem
    Years
  • Posted by Murderface:
    I usually name the head male of my party "Jesus," or if it's a female, "Shaniqua..."

don't ask why, it's just kinda become a habit...

Okay... Weird/random much? O_o... So, uh, why Shaniqua and not "Mary" or something O.o...? lol

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I only use nicknames on my online teams, actually. And I usually try to think up multilingual names, using various languages. For example, I'd call my Flygon Erddrache, which is German for "Dragon of the Earth." For some reason, most of my Bug Type Pokemon have German names, and my Dragons have Russian names, XD. I guess I just think that they fit.

With the DP Generation though, I'll probably use the Zamish Pokemon names that I had created for them. None have come out as the real names yet, but I'm hoping at least one will. Perhaps my Manmuu, aka Mastoswine.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    I usually turn it from all capitals to one capital and the rest lowercase.
    (eg
    TORCHIC is Torchic)
    Or sometimes I go by their strongest move
    (eg
    CHARIZARD is Overheat)

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
  • I'm constantly using nicknames for my Pkmn. There's rarely a moment I don't use nicknames. I usually make them up, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2007
    nicknames

I dont use nicknames for my pokémon cause its a waste of time. Besides my bro beat game: pokémon leafgreen for gameboy sp. I have so many game systems!

Years
  • I usually don't name my pokemon in games but I did it once, in Ruby when I caught Groudon and I named him Grdy, which would mean ugly in Slovene, though it is spelled grdi corectly.
    Anyway if they were real I probably wouldn't give them nicknames... Though maybe there would be exception and in that case I would try to find a unique nickname which wouldn't be similar to pokemon's "real" name.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Nyu, nicknames...I didn't bother with them before, but nowadays I name each one I catch (Except legendaries) out of principle. It's fun, and besides, it's good practice since my RP characters always name their pokémon anyway. xD

Anyway, my nicknames are all over the place. Sometimes I pick them because they sound right (E.g. Kula the Snorunt and Baku the Camerupt), some of them are bastardized versions of the japanese names (Can't think of any from the top of my head, though xP), some are descriptive (E.g. Fanfare for my Phanpy), some just names that I thought sounded nice (like Minerva the Vaporeon), and some are just plain random (Like Cheese the Pidgeot xD). Yeah, I don't really have any rules of thumb for them. I just go with what feels right at the moment. ^-^

ShadowLatios

the Artisan Lati
    Years
  • I used to name mine dumb and random things.Now I don't nickname them but I kind of want to.After all in the Hoenn Region games you can rename them.But whenever I start a new game and I get Torchic as a starter,I name it Firestrike.2 male Firestrikes-Lv.100 and Lv.61

Back