• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes a good villain?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • What makes a good villain?
    Handsome Jak from Borderlands 2 said:
    "See, this is what I don't get about you bad guys. You know the hero's gonna win, but you never just die quickly-- man, this one guy in New Haven, right? City's burning, people dying, blah blah blah. This guy rushes me with a spoon. A fricking spoon. And I'm just laughing. So I scoop out his eyeballs with it, and his kids are all, "aghhhhh!," and, ah...you had to be there. Anyway, the moral is: you're a ♥♥♥♥♥."
    In video games, there has been a wide slew of dastardly villains, all having their own unique characteristics that make them stand out. From the early days of Bowser to the modern days of Vaas Montenegro, their have been many different villainous personalities seen. So my question to you is this: what are some of the most important characteristics that a video game villain should have? Who are your favorite video game villains?

Feel free to discuss below!

Last edited:

Yukari

A number of things have to go in to make a good villain. He'd have to be threatening, he'd need a believable motive, maybe he'd be a bit crazy, or just downright sadistic, ect... You get the idea right?

As for my favorite villain I'd have to say Sephiroth. Because he's an example of a villain done right.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I like villains that are the type of character you least expect to do something dastardly. I'm sure there's been several in all the games that I've played but the only two that currently come to mind are Alistar Azimuth from Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time and Yasha from Asura's Wrath. I loved the way that both 'villains' were introduced as good guys but then either gave in to their own ambitions or betrayed their friends out of a sense of duty. What's extra appealing is that they both kinda redeem themselves in the end before dying.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like villains that I love to hate. Someone that's just so bad, they're great and make me love them for being bad. I know this is a movie, not a game, but take Cinderella's stepmother. He design is great. Her facial expressions are great. Does she do anything truly evil in the movie? Well, no. Not on a large scale. She has power over one girl's life though, and it's done well enough that we hate her not only ourselves, but for our main character. But as a young adult now, I just love how they made her so easy to hate, if that makes sense. Like I said, this is a movie, but hey, villains are in those too and she's one of my all-time favorites.

Back to games though, another thing I like in a villain is one that makes me think or even feel sorry for them to some extent. Fassad in Mother 3 is actually a Magypsy, for example. But you go through the game just HATING the ever loving hell out of him. And then the main villain of the game (or final boss really, not main villain per se) is the last person you would expect. They set that up perfectly. Tears were streaming down my face during the final boss fight. It was perfect. Dark, depressing, stabbed me in the heart...but at the same time, I felt good at the end about what happened and how it ended. This all being said, I think the Masked Man from Mother 3 is my favorite video game villain for all the emotion you get out of him and the story. Bravely Default's villain is also a great example of a villain done right (maybe not in design but...).

I love villains. Not love like I'd want to be their friend or anything, but I love to see what developers can do with their villains in their series. Heroes are great too, but I think villains needs to shine just as much as their hero, maybe even more. I want villains with a motive and attitude that makes me mad and gives me purpose in fighting them. That's my personal opinion of the mark of a great villain.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Without taking visual novels into account (because spoilers and stuff), Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising was my by far my favorite villain in any video game I played, since for the most part video game villains are damn weak.

What makes a good villain?

In a cast full of very lovable and charming character, Hades stood above all, with such a fun personality and AMAZING preformance by S. Scott Bullock.

Now, I'll keep it short. Motivation? Background? None. Hades is a god. He just does all that evil stuff because he can. But what makes him shine is the fact that contrary to a villain, he's so...unpredictably friendly. Even though he is the main villain in the game, for the most part, it feels like he's a friend. An ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ friend, who constantly remarks sarcastically and throws out witty insults in a very playful manner. He's not the kind of villain that you'd hate, quite the opposite. He's a great villain that you'd love to engage with, as he constantly surprises you and he never gets dull. Yet despite all that, Hades is still a merciless psychopath. A malevolent entity that has a lust for killing, and for no real reason other than his own satisfaction. He IS evil, and his personality contributes to that. A villain that is so lovable and charming with great sense of humor, but you still want to take down for good? Yep, Hades. I kinda explained why I love this character so much a lot already, so I'll just let the quotes do the talking.

Spoiler:

THERE'S SO MANY MORE. Best damn villain, not up for debate.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Personally, I'm more along the lines of Jak's interpretation of a "good" villain design. I enjoy villains that have some sort of back story, should the game allow for players to have an insight to, and feeling an emotional attachment to them. Regardless of their mission or plan for destruction in a game, I still appreciate the human traits that they possess. For example, one villain that I enjoyed was Ultimecia from Final Fantasy VIII. Albeit that most people wouldn't regard the game's story as the best within the franchise, but I, being the minority, loved the entire game, and the characters. I'd go as far as saying that I enjoyed Ultimecia more than the actual characters themselves. In essence, the best kind of villain would be one that you can empathize with, but still have this ounce of hatred towards them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I like villains that aren't. More specifically, I like villains whose motivations are arguably ethically superior to the protagonists. This could be for any number of reasons. Maybe the villain is only seen as such because he thinks the ends justify the means... and they actually do in this case. Or perhaps the protagonists were just misled, or were themselves the bad guys (or maybe just mercenaries) but didn't seem like it at first. Or maybe they became bad guys over the course of the story. There are any number of ways this idea can play out, but the key point is that I like it when the bad guys and good guys aren't.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I don't think there's a single "best" villain, as it all depends on the story and the setting itself. While I like ethically superior antagonists as characters, it's frustrating to fight them in RPGs that task you with saving the world, and this frustration is only magnified because most video games have awful writing. I also rather like antagonists that do the things they do in order to survive, even if they're nothing more than parasitic animals a la Lavos. It doesn't allow for any ethical dilemmas, but it does make you sympathize with the antagonist and understand their methods.

The only types of antagonists that I'm not fond of are the ones that are crazy or are evil for the sake of being evil. Even then, I'm sure they can be executed well as long as they complement the rest of the game well enough.

As for bad guys that I like, I'm pretty fond of the Shadowlord from NieR, but then again I'm pretty fond of everything about that game. I also rather like ShinRa in FF VII and the antagonists from Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL - at least, I do until Matsuno pulls the old EVIL DEMONS CONTROLLING EVERYTHING card.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2016
    This are some of my favorite quotes from AMC Movie Talk Sr. Editor in Chief John Campea:

"The most dangerous bad guy is the one who thinks he's doing the right thing."

"When you have a villain who is convinced they are doing the right thing, he will stop at nothing to do it, and then get lost in his own madness."

I think that about sums it up perfectly!

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
    Years
  • Jeez, everyone has such long responses, and here I am.
    All I'm gonna say is that I like a villain you can sympathise with. You understand why they're doing what they're doing, even if it's "wrong." It's not interesting if they're evil just to be evil, or if they just like doing evil things.

Years
  • Manipulative, powerful, threatening, look badass/cool/awesome and/or be mysterious. Also the ones that you never expect what they do.

Dr. Weil from Megamn Zero 3 and 4 is a pretty good example. Also Omega from Megaman 3, though he really was "just there as a final boss of Megaman Zero 3", but he did have a really good plot twist.

I also like villains that actually have a reason to do what they do, Dr. Weil isn't a really good example of this however, mostly because he just went insane after being punished for almost destroying the world (not literally) twice.

Heir

/EYES SUSPICIOUSLY
    Years
  • In my opinion, a true "villain" is a someone who has true hate or remorse for human society, and desires change because of his/her own beliefs. A villain who just hates everything just because is not a villain, but an insufferable prick. Lysandre from Pokemon X/Y was a good villain because he wasn't necessarily evil, he just thought the world needed a change.

As contradictory as it is, I love Fawful from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga so much.

Back