• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes the Pokemon anime so good?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    Or for you people that don't like the new episodes, what MADE it so good?

How come it could captivate you so much? Any emotion the show intended the viewer to feel, I felt it. I laughed when Ash blasted away Team Rocket or when Brock hit on Joy and Jenny or when Misty and Ash would get into it. I got angry when Gary would talk down to Ash or if Team Rocket seemed to be getting away. (I especially got angry when Ash would lose a battle.) I cried when Ash had to let Butterfry go or when Misty left (I still cry when watching Misty leave, no joke).

I feel much more "attached" to the Pokemon anime (still) than any other show I watched as a child. Was it the people? The storyline? The action?

This is NOT necessairly a nostalgia thread because it still applies to current episodes for those who follow those. I watch all the episodes (though the old a little more than the new).

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Well it does a lot of times make me laugh.
    I do grow attached to characters such as Ash and Team Rocket and Dawn and May.
    Some times they even have good storylines, such as Hunter J.
    Yah, good show and I love there films too.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I'll say it first: the animé isn't good at all. The animation is pretty "meh" (Though it does make me feel excited when the animation picks up all of a sudden), the writing is pretty weak, the way it sticks to the games really limits the villain plot and has the writers depend on the main character plot to carry out any originality (It doesn't seem so good), and that's it really.

The only good things about it are the voices and the music (Original or Dub, whatever). I continue to watch it because I don't care for most of these things most of the time. I'm happy that the writers have been getting better since Johto so that's another reason why I've been watching still. I totally consider the animé better now than it was in Kanto unlike many other people as well as the animation and story so I don't totally hate it. Confused?

Animé now is pretty "meh" but I consider it better than it was in Kanto and Johto. At a high point I guess.

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
  • I feel much more "attached" to the Pokemon anime (still) than any other show I watched as a child. Was it the people? The storyline? The action?

Are you talking about the pokemon d/p because the old pokemon was better. In D/P their voices suck, there isnt enough action like it used to be, too many contest which makes it to "girly", Ash's pokemon are weak. The Storyline is pretty much the same on his quest. The theme songs suck. They should've kept the first song, or the I wanna be a hero one.

Semidos

Misty Fan Forever
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Are you talking about the pokemon d/p because the old pokemon was better. In D/P their voices suck, there isnt enough action like it used to be, too many contest which makes it to "girly", Ash's pokemon are weak.
    Weak? I think now (DP) they are stronger. Many evolutions make them much stronger, than it was in Johto. But you're right in contests. The show is too girly, because of them, especially in DP. Storyline is pretty weak in favor for battles. I don't know why there are some many battles. Probably because they don't have any ideas to write episodes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    In D/P their voices suck,

I can't believe people are still complaining about this.

there isnt enough action like it used to be,

Having two reoccuring rivals and a strong Team-something with an actual plot (along with Hunter J) has added a lot more action than usual. Or at least more action that means something, rather than meaningless battles with COTD.

too many contest which makes it to "girly",

...yeah, female-folk play Pokemon too.

Ash's pokemon are weak.

This isn't even an opinion, it's just wrong. Tell that to Staraptor, and he'll Brave Bird and Close Combat Pidgeot in the face.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    ^ randomspot555 FTW! lol

I don't really think the animations that bad, its in HD now lol plus they've added 3D features to attacks etc...!

Kitty!

mandi
    Years
  • lol, mad people being mad because the show isn't kanto anymore!!

but. The anime always seems to come out with a few characters that I grow to love each season.
    And the fact that the show is still going, is just kinda amazing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    I think the anime's good, the story plot is still the same at least they have new adventures and different pokemon and trainers to meet.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • What made it so good orginally?

Well to be honest it was quite unique and original when it came out. The games also helped the sell the anime and probably the most important reason was, it was cool back then. People watched it and followed it because it was the thing to do back then. People were prepared to overlook it's weak storylines, the continuity errors, the repeating plot etc.

As it's no longer cool, far from it now, a lot of people have jumped of the bandwagon and have finally noticed that as it's a mass produced show designed for kids, the overall quality is somewhat lacking.

As for me, I enjoy it for what it is. I don't particuarly take the plot seriously (one of the reasons I don't really post much in each indvidual episode thread. You couldn't analyse it at the same level of a TV drama without launching scathing and degortory remarks). I mean I don't still watch it for the drama aspect that's for sure.

I watch it because having grown up with the charachters I still want to see what eventually becomes of them. Also for the environment as well as the unique charm and charmisa of the show.

Years
  • ^ I feel the same.

Growing up, Pokemon was AWESOME. I love reminiscing over the characters and stories. Also, the plot is very similar to that of the games, but that's why I like it. The games were great, so was the show.

Years
  • I agree with yossarian. What made it so special is first of all the revolutionary-fun-and-awesome idea of Pokemon. It was a must see, and everyone in the world wanted to be Ash Ketchum..
    It had a stronger effect than any other show on people in here, i'm sure (even though it died fast like all fads).
    Also the music is original and fantastic, both tunes and songs, which apperantly had a strong influence.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
  • I like to watch the anime simply to enjoy seeing the stories and characters you encounter in the games in a different way. It may be pretty repetitive at times, sure, but hey, it gives me one more way to enjoy the series.

I'm currently rewatching the Johto episodes alongside some of the DP episodes I missed, and overall I'd say they're fairly even in terms of quality. Sure, it's fun to go back and enjoy the good ol' days of the anime, but generally it's the same show it's always been.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Actually, for me, anymore it's the nostalgia of it. I kind of, in a small way, love how the anime never changed too dramatically from the first season. Like, you can watch the first episode from Season 1 and watch it seasons later and it still kind of works the same way. So.

Personally I loved how Ash never gave up and kept going. I loved how he ran into so many people and Pokemon and had said many goodbyes. I like how he's been through so much and he has such a huge history. Ash is a really cool guy. I love how his friends seem to come and go, even the ones he travels with, like Misty, May, Max, Dawn, Brock, and Tracey. So on, so forth.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The Anime is targeted at girls and boys which is why they added contests. Get over it. I for one love the contests and the longer lasting seasons. Only problem I have is there not being a storyline really. I mean theres some,but then there isn't any.

The show can also teach you of stuff for real life. It has me many times and it always has a postive reaction.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Are you talking about the pokemon d/p because the old pokemon was better. In D/P their voices suck, there isnt enough action like it used to be, too many contest which makes it to "girly", Ash's pokemon are weak. The Storyline is pretty much the same on his quest. The theme songs suck. They should've kept the first song, or the I wanna be a hero one.

I love all the theme songs up untill the d/p song and i allmost threw up, not really but you know what i mean.

may was better because she had more battle action, while dawn is 100% contest with beutifull outfits and whatnot.

and yes they put ash's voice through a meat grinder.

and team rocket needs to catch a new pokemon, i remember jesie lost her dustox at one point so she doesnt have many pokemon as far as i know =( team rocket deftinatly needs a buff up.

Years
  • The concept of Pokemon is pretty bad if you really think of it... But it works because they grew a following 10 years ago and most of this following has stayed because they keep the old pokemon that we love. Ash still carries his Pikachu and almost all (if not all) of his old pokemon (Squirtle, Charizard, Balbasaur, etc.) all make appearances from now and then. And they also introduce bad ass legendaries and also bad ass pokemon in general...

People follow it because they always change it up with new additions, and the new additions just get stronger and more awesome. That is why the games are still so popular

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Mostly the anime pulls me in like all other anime. There's this big bright colorful world and you just have to watch because you want to be a part of it. There are times when it is funny, and times when it is sad. I don't know, it makes me want to watch more. Also, I'm a curious person, so I can't reallly focus unless I know what happens next or why something is the way it is.

@okjoek: I agree with the part about Team Rocket. They should be more menacing. The liitle petty schemes each episode and blasting away gets boring. Sometimes I find myself rooting for them. They need better Pokemon and more smarts. I remember in the first few episodes of the series, they were someone that you actually feared. Your heart would start beating faster when they showed up with their bazookas and James carries his rose "Tuxedo Mask" style. Then, you see them today and it's like "What happened?" Now, they are just annoying, but I still like them.

Back