• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What NOT to like about Gen 3

Armour Lapras

You may not ride on me, Ash
Years
I loved Gen 3. Though looking back (haven't played one Gen 3 game since the past 5 years!), I keep wondering what went wrong in the games. Not much, surely. I truly would like to know your opinions!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just gonna start by saying that if this turns into a flame rocket, it will get locked. Not a fan of negative threads!

FRLG have a few problems for me. The main thing I don't like about them was that if you had a Crobat or Chansey and they tried to evolve, they would stop if you didn't have a National Dex. Well, that takes most of the game to acquire, so that's not very fair. I understand them trying to keep in with the "remake" factor and stay as close to the original as possible, but that wasn't a good move. Sure, Blissey and Crobat weren't in the original games, but this is a game in a generation where we do have them. Why keep them out? And what sense does it make for a Pokemon to stop evolving because you lack a Dex upgrade? I didn't know Chansey cared about your Pokedex so much.

As far as RSE goes, they're my favorites so I can't think of too much I dislike about them. For Emerald though, I know they added Pokemon to the post-game Safari Zone and I really wish they could have been added during the main story. It would have been nice for the third game to add some more variety to the Pokemon you can catch. That's not a huge problem, just more of a "we need more Pokemon in the deluxe version" gripe. I'd say they realized their mistake with that though, considering the deluxe versions after Emerald definitely added a lot more in their regional dexes.

ObnoxiousOboe

The Musical Psychic
Years
Well, everyone has their own opinions, but personally, I didn't find anything wrong with the Gen 3 games. They were my favorites!

But if I were to name one, it would be the lack of Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex. There should be more Pokémon from Johto and Kanto that you can find in the Hoenn region. But that's it.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I absolutely love the third generation games and they were my favorite, but my number one problem with them has always been the amount Pokemon that lack two evolutions or simply don't evolve.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2023
I greatly disliked the lack of Ditto in Ruby, but that's about it. Oh, and too many water routes in Hoenn overall.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
What I disliked about generation three is the rarity of certain Pokémon. It's okay to make some Pokémon rare (it raises their value), but not to the point where it's just impossible to find them. A good example would be Feebas; spent months fishing for this Pokémon at Route 119 in Emerald, but regardless of how hard I've tried, I just couldn't find it. I even gave up trying to finish my Pokédex because of it. Aside from Feebas, another example would be Bagon. :p

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Only thing I don't like is the lack of evolutions; an the rarity of some Pokémon. Also the lack of night and day feature. That's my only hate for R/S/E.

Or FR/LG, I hate the lack of animation and no night and day feature.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The story was laughable, most Pokémon had crap level up movepools, the water routes were dreadful and had you looking at the map at all times.

I definitely don't want to go back to 3rd gen (or any older gen). The game has improved a lot since then.

Years
The story was laughable, most Pokémon had crap level up movepools, the water routes were dreadful and had you looking at the map at all times.

This. And there's the fact that training in RSE is absolutely terrible. Emerald has NOWHERE to train post-game except with Trainers' Eyes rematches and Gym Leaders (which you can't just trigger whenever you want).

Also, i've said it before, but the post-game in Ruby and Sapphire is to me the second worst in the series, only ahead of Gen I. And the reason I say that is because there's literally nothing to do except Rayquaza, Latios/Latias and the Battle Tower. And the Battle Tower is messed up because you can only enter at Level 50 or 100. If your Pokémon is even Level 51, it can only enter the Level 100 challenges. Thankfully, DPPt and all future games fixed this by setting your stuff to Level 50 for the battles.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
I really didn't find much wrong with RSE. They were a lot different between the previous games. However, I've noticed FRLG gets old VERY fast. Not too much story line in it.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well every one have their own Problems and complains about these games. But for me i didn't think there is any glitch or anything to complain well gen 3rd games are too much interesting. But yeah I found FR\LG too much hard. I mean completing quest and other are little hard to find out. And in my life i got mostly stuck in LF\FR, I think thats the only bad thing i had. But i am not interested in Negative thread but anyway.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I absolutely love the third generation games and they were my favorite, but my number one problem with them has always been the amount Pokemon that lack two evolutions or simply don't evolve.

That's not a Gen III problem, that's a general problem.

I hated being stuck in one region, after playing GSC, i got sapphire instantly, and thought Johto would be unlocked, IF you beat the league, or the Battle Tower, or do something to unlock Johto, alas, I was dissappointed.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
That's not a Gen III problem, that's a general problem.
Yes it is, but generation 3 introduced a total of 21 Pokemon that didn't evolve which is a lot. In my opinion there should only be a few that don't per generation and they should be strong enough where you can still use them in battle.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
As Gen III was my first generation (later on I played the older games) I've never ever found a fault with it, and that's because there's nothing to compare to. After getting the later (and earlier) games, however, I testify that our main rivals were plainly the worst of the bunch; absolutely no signs of character except for seemingly acting like the kindest people in the world. That is also apparent by the fact that they're actually wimps, who don't even fully evolve their starter and then rush on to give us advice after we become Champion. That's a little more than rough, but it's not any more than the truth. I do wish we got to see more of our second rival (Wally), though, because he seemed to have changed a lot (as he promised) and it would be fun competing with him throughout the game.

Other than that they were the best games, and are obviously not to be blamed for a minor flaw like this one.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I haven't had problems with gen 3, But just got bored playing it! Now just Love to hack Gen 3!

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
As much as I loved Generation 3, there were several MAJOR flaws that made them extremely difficult to finish (and I mean completely, not just by beating the E4 and Champion).

For starters, Feebas was almost impossible to catch. In fact, I never seen it once in any of the Gen III. The major flaw in the capture method was that you could ONLY find Feebas in one of six random locations that were supposedly dependent on the Trendy Phrase you created at the Dewford Town community center. Furthermore, these six locations were supposed to vary daily, meaning that you could fish for hours in several different spots and NEVER catch a Feebas. I don't know if anyone else encountered this issue, but it was extremely annoying to me, so I just gave up.

Next, Mirage Island was virtually inaccessible. I know this place existed in the games, but in order to get to it, you had to do a bunch of number crunching to figure out what Pokémon you had to show to the one elderly gentleman just to coax it into view. However, even figuring what Pokémon he needed to see one day, it would automatically change the next. Because of this, I never was able to get to Mirage Island (and, now, I know I can't since the internal batteries in each of my RSE games died a while ago. They still play/save, but day-to-day events no longer occur).

Lastly, the 3rd Gen games carried over the old Physical/Special attack format that was still divided into types and not the kind of moves that attacks actually were. While it was still okay at the time, I found it rather annoying having to memorize what attack types fell into what category, and it got even more annoying trying to remember which moves counted as direct attacks and which ones counted as indirect attacks (if anyone remembers, that was necessary in order for certain abilities to work and, to an extent, it still is).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 16, 2015
Pokémon which don't evolve and are not legendary:

RBY:

20 / 146 = 13.7%

RSE:

26 / 192 = 13.5%

Years
I think the others have given very good reasons why 3rd Gen had a lot of flaws that later generations fixed up. In my opinion, I think out of all the games I've played, R/S had probably the worst postgame features since the only thing I recall correctly was to hunt down Latias/Latios as well as Battle Tower challenge. Emerald did add some extra stuff in the form of the Battle Frontier but still seems kinda bland.

Also, the fact there weren't many strong Pokemon available in the game as well as physical/special moves still being determined by the type, thank god 4th Gen fixed that. Plus there were like loads of Pokemon that are like extremely rare (aka 5% or the dreaded 1%) to find. Ever since playing 4th, 5th and now 6th Gen and getting used to their mechanics it makes me hard going back to 3rd Gen.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
IMO Fire Red and Leaf Green are the only things that I dislike about Gen 3.
The whole game, they're both just ugly. It's fun for the first few times but they become redundant after the second or third time.
RSE was beautiful though, I'm still playing the RSE series 9 years later. I've created and completed countless files on Emerald alone, nevermind Sapphire or Ruby.

Back