• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What NOT to like about Gen 3

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
Well this kind of sums up how I think of Gen 3....
2019.jpg

Trainer 781

R/S/E was little bit boring, especially the water routes.
Lack of the split as others have said. Lack of good stab moves for scizor and armaldo. Lack of a good reliable and powerful grass move like energy ball (Only sceptile had leaf blade).

The thing I hate most about the Gen III, was the introduction of the fluctuating exp gain rate (1640000 exp points to 100 levels), too time consuming to train. And on top of it, they gave it to mons which had subpar stats barring breloom, crawdaunt and hariyama. After driblim nobody recieved that rate, fortunately. But the erratic exp gain rate was awesome though ^^.

Aquali Umiko

Roaring back with a vengeance!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 5, 2015
R/S/E: Definitely the internal battery running dry. I was really disappointed by this. It takes away from a lot more than you realize, till it all starts hitting you in waves.

Years
Generation 3 is my favorite of the entire series, so there's not a lot I dislike about the games. I guess the main thing would be the Sky Pillar maze. Could never get it on the first try :[ I actually liked the amount of water routes in RSE; made for a unique and interesting region to travel through. I didn't like FRLG as much as I did Hoenn though, so I can think of a few things. Namely, the lack of story line. The originals didn't have much of a plot either, so there's some lenience, but as a remake they should take that opportunity to improve upon previous projects.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
This is not really an in-game problem, but for some reason these games also tended to corrupt your savefile after you beat the Elite Four and rolling the end credits, which gets pretty annoying.

Never happened to me. Are you sure your game isn't a bootleg, because I heard fake Pokémon carts do have that problem?

If there's one thing I don't like about Generation 3, it's the really, really dumb idea they got for FR/LG and Emerald: in those games, if you don't have the National Pokédex yet, you cannot obtain Pokémon that aren't in the Regional Pokédex at all: if your Pokémon uses happiness to evolve into a Gen 2 Pokémon in FR/LG, the evolution will stop on its own; you cannot trade with games that take place in a different region, and even if you trade with a game set in the same region, if you try trading for a Pokémon not in the Regional Dex or an Egg, the trade will be blocked.

I can kinda sorta understand why they did that in FR/LG, they wanted to keep it closer to the originals, so they made you only use the original 151 Pokémon at least during the main story. But with Gen 3 mechanics, items, moves, abilities etc used from the start, this limitation on Pokémon species seems a little arbitrary. And I really cannot explain why this limitation also applied to Emerald, I see no logical reason for this: it's not a remake, and Ruby/Sapphire didn't have this limitation.

I recently replayed all my Pokémon games from Gens 3 to 6 (I'm currently concluding the marathon with Gen 3) , and I started every game by trading in a bunch of eggs so I could have full teams with three starters from different generations and one pseudo-legendary (and two other Pokémon) from the start. FR, LG and E are the only games where I can't do that, and I don't like it :) .

Years
Never happened to me. Are you sure your game isn't a bootleg, because I heard fake Pokémon carts do have that problem?

I wasn't really sure if it was a bootleg or not, but I had several cartridges of Emerald (three with differing appearances) so it wouldn't be a surprise if at least one of them were bootlegged. Every one of my friends who played Emerald had the same problem, but they never experienced it with the FR/LG games :/

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
How when the cartridge's battery died (200 Hours) special events like Swarms and Sales and such becoming non existant and berry's stopping growing, another reason i am looking forward to the remakes :)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really don't get why people are upset about the amount of water? The game is literally land vs. sea, if you only went over the water once like you typically do it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense?

The only thing that I can remember that bothered me is how my internal battery died and how I never got to see Mirage Island, but I guess the first is no fault of RSE itself.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
R/S/E: Definitely the internal battery running dry. I was really disappointed by this. It takes away from a lot more than you realize, till it all starts hitting you in waves.
How when the cartridge's battery died (200 Hours) special events like Swarms and Sales and such becoming non existant and berry's stopping growing, another reason i am looking forward to the remakes :)
The only thing that I can remember that bothered me is how my internal battery died and how I never got to see Mirage Island, but I guess the first is no fault of RSE itself.

If the internal battery dying bothers you that much, you can always replace it. I did, and it worked.
I can't find the exact tutorial I followed, but this is close enough: http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=2044 . I know this is for Gameboy cartridges, but it works more or less for any cartridge that uses a battery, including R/S/E.

I'd just like to add another step to it:
After you put the screw back in and save your game for the first time (or, in the case of R/S/E, at any time when the clock is supposed to be working) , it's time to stress test your game. Throw your cartridge around, drop it on the floor, shake it etc for five minutes. If after this the clock is still running, then congrats, your cartridge is 100% fixed :) .

Years
#1: that silly wireless adapter
#2: costs 60 -70 dollars at a vintage game store. Emerald seems premium. Jerks.
#3: RIP Pokémon Pinball...
#4: buying AA batteries pretty much just for Pokémon
#5: misplacing the battery cover to my classic GBA and using tape or rubber band

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Gen III was amazing. So easily played, very colorful environment, such music. Wow.

But there was one main thing that made me sad and that still makes me sigh whenever I play a Gen III game: the lack of a day/night system. It was such a cool thing when G/S/C came, so when newer games came out with loads of new stuff... but no day/night, I was very disappointed. So that is what is not to like :(

Back