• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Php forum software?

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
  • hello im making a forum just like this and i was just wonder what php mysql software did you use to make this forum and is it free? thanks
    ~BZ

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • Well, if you want to create a forum (for free, that is) I suggest you look into some free forum hosts. If you are hosting your own site/forums, then PHP and MySQL should have already been installed. PHPBB, MYBB, and VBulletin are all good choices. I suggest VB because that is what I run my forums on. And although it's not free, it's worth it.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • i allready knew of some i just really wanted to know what this runs off of beaucse i like the profile and some of the other features.
    and how much is VBulletin ?

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • SMF isn't really that great of a choice. I'd suggest MyBB (For being lightweight and easy to navigate code) or phpBB for security.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I suggest MyBB if you're looking for free forum-software. Easy to install, easy to customize and there are a decent amount of skins and mods for download.

Years
  • I'm trying to decide on what forum software to use also.

Right now my forum has SMF, and I like it a lot.

I tested PHPBB/MyBB, but didn't like them as much, namely the user/admin cp.
    But I do like that phpbb has subscriptions.... I guess you can always move things around.

It really comes down to preference, try a couple out, or at least join forums with those different softwares.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I tested PHPBB/MyBB, but didn't like them as much, namely the user/admin cp.

What about them?

But I do like that phpbb has subscriptions.... I guess you can always move things around.

MyBB has this.

It really comes down to preference, try a couple out, or at least join forums with those different softwares.

The leading factor for choosing forum software due to "preference" is that you enjoy how the implementation is done in that software, but personal preference doesn't grant you all the features you want.

----

On a short note: In the PHP community, all forum software is the same. Nothing is really "different" at all. You hear them all bragging about how they want you to use their software because it's "fully customizable." Yeah, for people who know how to program it is, but for those who don't, they either find the modification, or learn how to sort through these inconsistent as hell APIs just to get a simple gimmick set-up. Forum developers need to find a better niche to fulfill. The "fully customizable and extensive using our stable API" niche is tired and old, and it gives every knock-off the incentive to reinvent the wheel instead of fixing already broken software.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • what about proboards??? you can make good boards there. It has an easy to use admin inter face. but you have to go to proboards support if you want certain codes for features. Other than that, its awesome! :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    what about proboards??? you can make good boards there. It has an easy to use admin inter face. but you have to go to proboards support if you want certain codes for features. Other than that, its awesome! :D

Proboards is a terrible bulletin board system.

Brocco Guy

Cloan Club Guy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2009
    I suggest Zetaboards. It's nice, I use it. SMF is also pretty good too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • try nabble its free and it is very good. i use it. follow my sig and you ncan see the features... or watevr...

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
  • PHPBB is popular, personally I don't like it.
    MyBB is decent just simple.
    IPB are quite nice, not better than vB so you might be better off buying vB instead of IPB.
    In free software, SMF is probably 'THE BEST' imho.

Just try them out, you'll really never find something better than vB.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • The only thing I find nice about SMF is the package system. Where you can download them right off the website from the Admin Panel.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • SMF is pretty horrible in my opinion... well, it is what it says it is: Simple, basic and customizable. It's pretty lously imo, the layout and Frontend looks horrible, and it lacks any great features. The Backend is okay though... yeah, not a fan of SMF.
    phpBB is the second-best choice in my opinion. It's secure, used by a lot of huge sites, and has a nice Frontend. I really like phpBB's Frontend, but it's Backend is horrible.
    MyBB is by far the best choice if you want to go free. It looks nice, there are loads of Themes and Mods (and even more if you pay for Labrocca's mods) for it, it's secure (as long as you keep updated) and it really is solid software.
    IPB is great software. It really is nice and I love it. Everything great to say about it, but I don't like some of the extra features included. It's still only second to vBulletin though.
    vBulletin, in my opinion, is the best forum software available if you're willing to pay. A lot of forums I go on use vBulletin and I love both it's Frontend and Backend (though I prefer MyBB's Backend...). Brilliant software.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    SMF is pretty horrible in my opinion... well, it is what it says it is: Simple, basic and customizable. It's pretty lously imo, the layout and Frontend looks horrible, and it lacks any great features. The Backend is okay though... yeah, not a fan of SMF.
    phpBB is the second-best choice in my opinion. It's secure, used by a lot of huge sites, and has a nice Frontend. I really like phpBB's Frontend, but it's Backend is horrible.
    MyBB is by far the best choice if you want to go free. It looks nice, there are loads of Themes and Mods (and even more if you pay for Labrocca's mods) for it, it's secure (as long as you keep updated) and it really is solid software.
    IPB is great software. It really is nice and I love it. Everything great to say about it, but I don't like some of the extra features included. It's still only second to vBulletin though.
    vBulletin, in my opinion, is the best forum software available if you're willing to pay. A lot of forums I go on use vBulletin and I love both it's Frontend and Backend (though I prefer MyBB's Backend...). Brilliant software.

You talk about the back-ends of each of the boards as if you've seen them all in action. What exactly do you like or dislike about the back-ends?

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • You talk about the back-ends of each of the boards as if you've seen them all in action. What exactly do you like or dislike about the back-ends?

I've used the Backend of each forum software I mentioned, yeah.

SMF's is easy to use, but a little too basic and not very in-depth.
    phpBB's is pretty nice in terms of looks, but that isn't really what matters. It's pretty confusing until you get used to where everything is (however, this may be because I used IPB 1.3 and MyBB 1.44's Backend's first).
    MyBB's is easy to use in my opinion. Everything is laid out nicely and how I like it, and each feature is easy to get to and edit.
    IPB's Backend is also nice; alike MyBB's in some ways (even so you have to get used to it first). However, the way Modifications are installed is confusing and are hard to navigate and get to when installed.
    vBulletin's is also great in my opinion. The Modifications are easy to get to when installed, giving themselves a section for themselves at the side.

Really, they're all easy to use once you get used to them. Of course, all of this is my opinion and you should make your own judgements.

Back