• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon could stand up to Mewtwo?

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
  • Any Hoenn/Sinnoh legendary could easily do the job. Take Arceus for example.
    We have a battle between a mutant with some psychic powers and an actual god. Try to guess who would win.

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • In agree with ShinyMeowth, I think most of the mascot legendary Pokemon would be able to put up a fight against Mewtwo and Arceus should be undefeatable in the anime.
    As for the game, any Pokemon could defeat Mewtwo as it would depend more on the trainer and nature of the battle.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I'd say for a win-by-the-nose victory for mewtwo, i'd go with Aura Warrior Lucario or the Three Dogs in anime. those would be the cut-offs. Any other legendary would be able to easily beat Mewtwo

Waking_Dreamer

Dreamer King
    Years
  • I'd say for a win-by-the-nose victory for mewtwo, i'd go with Aura Warrior Lucario or the Three Dogs in anime. those would be the cut-offs. Any other legendary would be able to easily beat Mewtwo

I dont know Aura Warrior Lucario would put up a great fight but ultimately get soundly defeated by Mewtwo. He looked particularly good in the movie becuase he was versing legendaries weak to his fighting type. It wont be the same with Psychic Mewtwo.

The legendary dogs would be more of a match but would still get defeated in the end.

Havent seen the other Hoen Legendaries in the anime but I think Mewtwo can stalemate against Dialga and Palkia one-on-one, I mean Darkrai stood his ground for a time against two of them. So either one of those would be Mewtwos limit.

Against Lugia and Ho-oh...? Not too sure either.

In the manga Mewtwo already versed Deoxys and won so...

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    Giratina, probably. Ghost Legendary > Psychic Legendary

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I think it would have a close match against most other mascot legendaries. Remember the only Pokemon that was able to stand up to it at the time was Mew (the only other legendary at the time). There are lots of others now to give it a run for its money.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    GenoGenoGenoGeno-Genosect~

I've discussed this theory many times, Genosect was modified/made by Team Plasma, Mewtwo was made by Team Rocket. I love to see that battle...

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2021
    Kanto and Sinnoh

From Sinnoh, I think that Dialga and Palkia would be good opponents and would give fight, but Darkrai and Arceus would beat Mewtwo without a problem.
    From Kanto, Mewtwo would beat any of the 3 Birds, but Mew, as was seen in the movie, gave fight.
    Johto, Hoenn and Unova, I'm not that comfortable talking about them.

I think it would have a close match against most other mascot legendaries. Remember the only Pokemon that was able to stand up to it at the time was Mew (the only other legendary at the time). There are lots of others now to give it a run for its money.

What about Zapdos, Moltres and Articuno?

Years
  • Hmm...Now that I think about it, no one had any Ghost Pokemon in the first movie, had there been a Gastly, Haunter or Gengar how would Mewtwo have been able to deal with that?

Also, do you think Groudon or Kyogre could put up a fight?

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • None should be able to stand up against him. He should be the most powerful Pokemon and have 10 more stat points just to prove this!

Cookiez

The Shining Light
    Years
  • -3- I think Arceus is WAY too over-rated... Who cares if he's the friggin' creator of pokemon? A Lucario could beat one with no plate hands down.
    As for the question, I'd have to go with a Reshiram or Zekrom. They're DRAGONS for pete's sake... -3-

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hmm...

-Mew, as evidenced in Mewtwo Strikes Back, would clearly be able to handle Mewtwo.
    -Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Lucario, and all the other legendary trios and Mew-esque Pokemon (barring Jirachi, Uxle and Victini) would likely get flung by pwning Psychic attacks
    -Jirachi could just use Doom Desire and wish for Mewtwo's demise; Uxle could just open its eyes and cause Mewtwo to go "HERPDERP WHUT IZ A PSYCHIC ATTACK", and if Victini sneaks in V-Generate first, Mewtwo is a GONER.
    -Deoxys handled Rayquaza pretty good and can regenerate itself, not to mention its superior Forme-switching ability. I'd say it has a pretty good shot at tying with Mewtwo or even surpassing it. Attacks in Attack Forme would be greatly advantageous, especially if Deoxys uses its naturally-higher speed to dispatch Mewtwo with a powerful technique.
    -Regigigas would likely get pummeled before it could even land a hit
    -Dialga could reverse time to shift Mewtwo to its embryotic in-vitro stage and squish Mewtwo (whose Psychic powers would be underdeveloped at that point and are resisted by Steel-typing anyway) as it writhes helplessly.
    -Palkia could pull a few spacial tricks, but Mewtwo would probably end up overpowering it at some point...
    -Giratina could just use Shadow Force to fade away and strike/ninja Mewtwo with a super-effective ramming. Giratina could also just yank Mewtwo into the Distortion World and gain the upper hand in battle due to home field/turf advantage.
    -Heatran would resist Psychic, but Focus Blast could probably dispose of it in a matter of minutes.
    -The Lati@s duo is pretty potent with Soul Dew, not to mention their ferocious Dragon-type capabilities and Psychic-type abilities.
    -Cresselia...not really seeing it put up much of a fight.
    -Arceus would just switch Plates and relentlessly slam Mewtwo with a STAB Dark-type Judgment due to Dread Plate.
    -Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyuremu would start out by holding their own, but getting mentally broken in the end, primarily due to their shoddy movepools.
    -I heard Genosect had some nuke/warhead on its back, so it's a contender by default. And it can change cassettes!
    -Zoroark also gets special mention; its illusory abilities might be able to confuse and confound Mewtwo, where it can follow up with a damaging Dark-type attack!

Roughly, in order of contending ability against Mewtwo...Mew/Arceus, Dialga, Jirachi/Victini/Uxle, Genosect/Deoxys, Giratina, Lati@s, Palkia/Zoroark, Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyuremu...and pretty much everyone else.

-3- I think Arceus is WAY too over-rated... Who cares if he's the friggin' creator of pokemon? A Lucario could beat one with no plate hands down.
    As for the question, I'd have to go with a Reshiram or Zekrom. They're DRAGONS for pete's sake... -3-

Arceus inherently is should be(?) aware of every Pokemon's weakness...if anything, Mewtwo is overrated. Just get something with Psychic to use Imprison and no more BA Mewtwo. :cer_laugh: And Arceus would probably outspeed Lucario and lay waste with an Overheat or Earthquake, sans Plate(s), before Lucario even lays a paw on him.

And as G.K. Chesterton wisely explained:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be [/FONT][/FONT]killedKO'd.
    ;)

Croaker

Fleet Commander
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    None.
    He made the Mew fight look even to add drama to the movie. Also, every single other legendary is whimp so they stand no chance against him. And that Arceus = God thing is just some crazy creationist mumbo-jumbo so who cares about him anyway.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    darkrai, all of mewtwos moves wouldnt effect him

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • darkrai, all of mewtwos moves wouldnt effect him

Well, then again...you do have this possible scenario (not to mention Mewtwo having 5 additional Speed points):

Mewtwo used Focus Blast!
    Critical hit!
    It's super effective!
    Foe Darkrai fainted!

So, Mewtwo's covered on that front...for the most part.

Back