• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What religion do you follow?

Years
Ah, I see, my bad.

However, much of what we "know" cannot be proved. On the flip side, science cannot disprove the idea of God. Or unicorns for that matter.

Well yeah, stuff like dark matter we do not have an explanation for yet (I think), but it sure does exist. However, whats great is that science is constantly working on it, seeking answers to these unanswered questions!

And yeah, exactly. It cannot be disproved, and cannot be proved, and therefore science tends to step away from stuff like that, eheh.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I do not follow a religion, nor believe in a God. However, I see religion as a need part of the human species. As a species, we have adapted to learn individuality. This is both a curse and a blessing. We can become our own people, do our own things-but are all of these things good?

I am going to use wolves as an example. They are solely focused on the well-being of their pack and their selves. They are creatures of instinct, and in their short life span will never have the time to think about anything else besides their survival.

Humans naught need to worry about such things. We have grown out of animalistic instincts, and have become our standard of a species of higher intelligence. We have all we need given to us by technology and modern day civilization. Meaning, unlike the wolf, we can afford to not be focused on instincts and survival. We are our own people and can do what we like, given the right circumstances and materials. This means many of us stray and do what religion considers 'sins'-things that may benefit you but hurt others. Without religion, we don't need to worry about being terrible, immoral beings! We're all going to rot in the ground anyway!

Religion teaches morals, in a way it scares (This is the best word I could think of at the time, it in no way actually scares and forces people but in a sense.) people into being good people. Fib and you'll burn in hell! Yes, I believe religion to be a thing of the past. But, we still need it, especially as our technology and world evolves. Do I believe in it's individual prejudices? No! But I believe the basis of what religion is, in my opinion, a way to teach people to become better people. To try to be a better person. (Not that this always happens, mind you.) But what I tend to dislike about religion is the wars it has caused and prejudices it has against certain factions. I believe it goes against it's core values to hurt others, but oh well.

I also believe (ahhh she's writing more) religion gives a purpose to some. Some are not content with the fact that they may die and their life will have meant nothing and they will rot in the ground, not go to heaven. Humans are afraid of the unknown. We all are. We need something to strive for, not make us think everyday is a countdown to the endless void known as death we all await. Without that hope in life, people may become hopeless and depressed. *shrugs* I suppose it may serve as a beacon to those who need hope.

tl;dr I myself am an Atheist raised in a Roman Catholic household.

@RockSmashGod *slowly raises hand* I remember reading this vaguely, so while I do not remember the specifics I did remember the general gist of it. Basically, when you dream, a part of your brain send off hormones or something, I cannot remember exactly what it used/did, and bam. dream. When you die, your body actually sends off dream-thingies as psychologically dealing with dying (in your moments of death) is almost unthinkable for the human mind and etc. All I know is, your body protects you in a sense to make it seem like all a dream, i.e., this 'heaven' people see when they die on the operation table. It's your bodies way of taking care of you. c:

This may have been just a theory, but this was a couple years back in an old book in the library so ye. I don't remember much~

I think that's somewhat pessimistic, honestly, and I want to explain something. I want to explain the idea of a conscience.

For me, the human body (including the brain) is merely a vector for our personal essence. When our body dies, we leave that vector, and go on to find another vector. This is the idea of reincarnation. For all living things with a conscience, that essence of emotions, experiences, and knowledge is gathered at a point that we experience in between lives. Naturally, I believe that we as conscient beings have a choice to carry on a certain amount of that information onto our next cycle to help us in tribulations down the road. By this logic, we are spiritually immortal.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
I would love to believe. And in some ways i do.
My father, who is a Buddhist said to me when I was 9, "no matter what is up there, you gotta ignore that and think about whats down here with us. We dont know where were gonna go, but i know that now, im here with you."
Hell, i know thats cheesy but it makes a point. Withe everything bad in the world, why not worship a deity to "make evrything better, and do it on our own. Because right now, were living, and that itself is beyond any explaination we know.

And to get into my less sentimental side, with everything bad in the world, our "god" is more concerned about cutting your hair, gay marriage, and abortion rather than starving children and families, and patients dying of disease?
(Sorry if my grammar is off, im on mobile :))

EDIT- @rocksmashgod- i totaly agree. I do not believe in a god, however, i believe that there is more than just dying. I wish that there is more than just death, because to br honest, im afraid of death. Im afraid of where i will go, if i go anywhere, and how my actions will affect me in the "afterlife." But leaving my faith, i try no to think about those things, and focus on my life, right now.
To put it simply, we have no clue why were here yet, wether it he a god, a coincidence, or as you put it alex, a flying spaghetti monster.
(Again, apologies for grammar)

Last edited:

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I was born into large Lebanese family who all follow Christianity.

I guess I'm no longer the only Lebanese Australian here.:happy2:

My family is Shia Muslim, and I consider myself to be Muslim, but I am not super-religious. Most of my family is very liberal. I don't pray five times a day, I rarely read the Quran, and I don't go to the mosque (my parents stopped taking me for a while because I always get into arguments with the strict Muslims). Most of the women in my family don't wear hijab. My mum and my sister don't. You probably wouldn't think I was Muslim if you saw me IRL - I look and dress like a skater boy (I have long hair and I have no desire to cut it short). I love listening to music and I blast my MP3 player all the time. Still, I follow Islamic dietary laws (no pork, no alcohol) and celebrate Islamic holidays. I agree with most of the beliefs, though there are a few I disagree with (like the ban on music - a ban which most Muslims ignore anyway).

Even though I'm Muslim, I don't hate Jews, Christians, women, or homosexuals. I believe in gender equality and freedom of speech. I love American culture; I just don't like the government. I don't believe in honour killings, child marriage, or stoning. And I hate al-Qaeda and Hezbollah and all those other terrorist groups. People have a hard time believing that Muslims like me exist. Seriously, we're not all strict.

I was born in Lebanon and my childhood was spent in Lakemba, one of the worst neighbourhoods in Sydney.

Most of my friends aren't Muslim. My three best guy friends are all Catholic, and my girlfriend is Eastern Orthodox. She's Lebanese too. (Most of my friends are Christian, but I do have Muslim friends too.)

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I like the buddhist religion, but I am Christian. I was born i the religion and I'm fine with it. I'm not that dedicated to it. I believe to treat others as you should be treated, and peace can be the best answer in most situations.

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
My family tried raising me as a Catholic but it never felt right to me. I only went along with it and believed I was Catholic because "my mother said so" and because I was constantly told that if I don't believe I'm going to rot in hell. When you're a young child that kind of thing keeps you up at night but it's pretty funny looking back on it now. I identify as an atheist because I just don't have faith in any "gods" other than myself.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
My family never tried raising me directly with any religion, mainly because my dad's side is Christian and my mom's side is Jewish. Honestly though, I've always seen myself as a, more or less secular, Jew.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 6, 2014
My whole family is Christian and visit church etc. My grandfather is a priest and so also my uncle. I went to Sunday school as a child and I find religion really interesting. But me myself; I'm an atheist.

lozzop

Monkey slut!
Years
I'm agnostic, but much closer to atheist than theist, I also joined through choice, the majority of my family is Catholic, Christian or Protestant, sometimes this can cause a problem with some of my particular life choices, but generally we accept and respect each other for who we are and what we do, not what we choose to believe. I was also raised Protestant, but made the choice to convert once I started RE at secondary school. Undedicated to say the most, my faith doesn't play such a big part in my life, I constantly hop between beliefs and prefer to categorise myself, as just myself rather than a specific belief system or religion because of how indecisive I can be. It annoys a lot of the people around me, one day I'm completely immersed in one belief, the next I'm totally against it. For what I agree and disagree with, all I know is it's all up to the individual (that doesn't mean you can't try to change their mind though) I personally don't believe in a God, it just seems like such a random explanation for, well, everything. But I don't hate on people who do, so long as they tolerate me I'll tolerate them, tbh it doesn't really matter what God you believe in as long as you're a good person. I do have stronger opinions on things like abortion, euthanasia and other things amongst them however. And for the record I am strongly for both those things. Overall I wouldn't describe myself as a religious person, but I am agnostic, and indecisive.

Years
I've been through many religions.

In the beggining, as a child, I was a pure Christian, raised in a Christian family.

Around teenager time's beggining, I became a Catholic, for finding it a little more open.

Then, around what we call "rebel times", I literall threw myself into Atheism.

Now , I'm here. I don't believe the world is alone, but I also don't believe it's some kind of power we can understand.

Now, I'm just someone living my life.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
(like the ban on music - a ban which most Muslims ignore anyway).
There is no such thing. You're not supposed to listen to music during prayer times (which take 5 minutes) however, but otherwise it's fine. I don't know where you got that to be honest, even music has a part in our culture.

Also, if you really wanna be a Muslim, do pray 5 times. It IS important. It's easy to learn and takes a short time as well, doesn't take longer than brushing your teeth at home, so there's really no excuse. I honestly don't see why anyone would wanna be a muslim if they don't do that, as it's so, so vital.

Last edited:
Years
My family follows buddhism, but I very rarely actually follow traditions because I don't particularly like the idea of following a certain religion \: For example it's Chinese New Year today so many families go to temples to pray and stuff, but my sister and I have stopped going since 5 years ago. It's just not our thing and luckily our parents don't force it on us :)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm about as religious as a box of rocks... so I don't really follow a religion. I'm more of a spiritualist, I guess.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I follow the Hindu Religion, But Indian is what i am! I can even Die for my country's Good!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I'm a hindu. Consider myself one. But I haven't done any 'hindu' like thing for a while lel. There are a scarcity of rules in this religion. Or maybe I'm just not being restricted by my parents. Either way, happy with the freedom I have.

Sometimes I think I'm an atheist. But then I'm in some deep **** I automatically start praying lol. So idk. I do believe in gods, I guess?

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I follow the philosophy of "meh".

I figure there could be a god, but if there is it's probably more an entity than an actual man in the clouds. And if so, I doubt that it cares if one is gay, or if one believes or not.

And as for the idea of life after death, I figure just enjoy the life we have now and see what comes later. Of all the religions out there, though, I like the idea of reincarnation for an afterlife. The Christian idea of heaven seems so dull. Things being perfect is nice and all, but it'd get dull. I remember an old Twilight Zone episode where a criminal died and thought he went to heaven. Everything was perfect for him, but it started to drive him crazy. At the end of the episode, he found out that he was actually in Hell. That pretty much sums up my ideas on the afterlife.

Back