• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] What ROM is the best for hacking?

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2010
    I am thinking of making a hack but I don't know which ROM to use... Does anybody have any opinions of which one is best for starting a hack?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    Before the annoying clamour of people saying "Use Firered", it really makes no difference.

All ROMs have their pros and cons. Pick whatever you want. (However, some tools have compatibility for Firered, Ruby and Emerald, but not Leafgreen and Sapphire, as they do not use the right Offsets. I'd choose 1 of them, but they all have differences)

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Before the annoying clamour of people saying "Use Firered", it really makes no difference.

All ROMs have their pros and cons. Pick whatever you want. (However, some tools have compatibility for Firered, Ruby and Emerald, but not Leafgreen and Sapphire, as they do not use the right Offsets. I'd choose 1 of them, but they all have differences)

I say 'Use Firered'. =D

I find FireRed my personal favorite. I tried hacking Ruby, and it didn't turn out too well. Not to mention, there are more tutorials that deal with only FireRed. It's really personal preference. There really is no 'best' ROM.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Use Emerald. This rom have no several glitches and it has a lot of music and other interesting and useful things.

Ruby is past, Emerald is future.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2010
    Which one would be best for a hack that involved changing alot of pokemon? Like changing their names and stuff like that?

Micael Alighieri

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Which one would be best for a hack that involved changing alot of pokemon? Like changing their names and stuff like that?

Any rom would be good for that, but Pokemon Emerald have many new thing and there are many improvements.

I've hacked Fire Red, the worst rom for me because that rom has a lot of posible glitches. Emerald have no several glitches and it can be used without problems.

Ruby...yeah, is a good rom, it has a lot of space but it's the oldest, it has no new things and have some several glitches (sometimes the rom resets when you have a wild Pokémon encounter).

Bye.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen today
    OK, hack Emerald.

However, when Black pass listed the things that went wrong, that was after he edited it. If you edit it haphazardly, you will find bugs, and when 1 person hacks a ROM, their problems may not happen to another (Especially the Resetting in a Wild Battle one, never happened to me, and I expanded Tilesets into Free Space). All ROMs have bugs, especially when tools are used, due to offsets or the person editing the ROM. And if the ROMs were glitchy, like the Wild Battle thing, would Nintendo have released the game? It is just what you edit, and the wrong offsets in tools sometimes.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • why do we need this thread, these types of threads get created every week.
    And to answer your question its all prefrence and skill of the hacker.
    enough said~

Micael Alighieri

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I'm hacking since five months and I know the 95% of glitches. The reset glitch only appears on Pokemon Ruby (nerverly ever on Pokemon Fire Red).

The ROM's initially are good made, the questions are these: Is this rom good for hacking? Will appear any glitch if I hack it?

They are two different things. As has said NarutoActor the rom we hack depends of preference of the rom hacker.

Bye.

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • I'm hacking since five months and I know the 95% of glitches. The reset glitch only appears on Pokemon Ruby (nerverly ever on Pokemon Fire Red).

The ROM's initially are good made, the questions are these: Is this rom good for hacking? Will appear any glitch if I hack it?

They are two different things. As has said NarutoActor the rom we hack depends of preference of the rom hacker.

Bye.

Five months isn't a very long time to be hacking to be honest. Also, I'm fairly positive that the "reset glitch" you're talking about only appears on Ruby for you because of offsets. Editing essentially the same thing on different ROMs could produce completely different glitches.

Glitches are cause of the hacker, not the ROM itself.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Five months isn't a very long time to be hacking to be honest. Also, I'm fairly positive that the "reset glitch" you're talking about only appears on Ruby for you because of offsets. Editing essentially the same thing on different ROMs could produce completely different glitches.

Glitches are cause of the hacker, not the ROM itself.
    yeah what fanking said the glitches you are talking about are your fault :C there is no one rom which was a in-game glitch. maby faulty tools caused it but not the atucal rom.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Five months isn't a very long time to be hacking to be honest.

What are you talking about? Not to get off-topic, but 5 months is plenty of time to be hacking. It only really takes about a month to start a good, successful hack. It took me 3 weeks after I joined PokeCommunity to start SacredFire, and I haven't experienced any non-fixable glitches. My ROM is fine.

The more time you've been here, doesn't mean you'll have more talent in hacking.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • What are you talking about? Not to get off-topic, but 5 months is plenty of time to be hacking. It only really takes about a month to start a good, successful hack. It took me 3 weeks after I joined PokeCommunity to start SacredFire, and I haven't experienced any non-fixable glitches. My ROM is fine.

The more time you've been here, doesn't mean you'll have more talent in hacking.
    no what he saing is 5months in rom hacking isnt something to brag about. obviously some people are faster than others but time brings expirence I have been hacking for a year now and I can easly say the longer you hack the better you will become.

and congrats sharpoint :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    Ruby is my choice:

Why?

Ruby advantages against Firered:

The "bad" graphics can easily be changed by inserting new tiles.
    It has a clock! HUGE ADVANTAGE (Meaning you can make time based stuff, like GSC. ZodiacDaGreat made an ASM function for this, and there are DayAndNight tools for Ruby as well)
    It has more specials (I think)
    It has more sprites (Even though you can add extra sprits into Firered and Ruby via hex editor. The tutorial for adding more sprites in FireRed works in Ruby, as do most other tutorials.. Just find the correct offsets if you can.)
    The truck script CAN be removed (There are now tools that do this)
    PokeNav
    Many more extra features can't name atm..
    Secret Bases
    More Music (Even though you can extend the amount of music you can add in both Ruby and FireRed via hex editor)

Now FireRed's advantages against Ruby:

More tutorials for FireRed (as most people hack FireRed) (Many FR tuts are kind of the same as Ruby)
    4 world maps! HUGE ADVANTAGE (Especially if you want more than one region)
    No hassle of removing the truck script

They both have some songs from the GSC series.

In case you don't know, FireRed is same as LeafGreen, Ruby is same as Saphire (Advantages wise)

Emerald is just like R/S except it has more features (EX: Battle Tower, Animations for Pokemon in battle)
    HOWEVER: I heard that Emerald is very unstable. I don't know how unstable it is and to what extent.

Overall, I would say Ruby is the best to choose. Even though there is only one world map, you can PROBABLY fit 2 or 3 regions on one map.

OH and IMO I think you should learn how to do some stuff in FR/LG then go on to R/S/E, because of the fact that there are more tutorials. FR/LG are easier for beginners.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • Ruby is my choice:

Why?

Ruby advantages against Firered:

The "bad" graphics can easily be changed by inserting new tiles.
    It has a clock! HUGE ADVANTAGE (Meaning you can make time based stuff, like GSC. ZodiacDaGreat made an ASM function for this, and there are DayAndNight tools for Ruby as well)
    It has more specials (I think)
    It has more sprites (Even though you can add extra sprits into Firered and Ruby via hex editor. The tutorial for adding more sprites in FireRed works in Ruby, as do most other tutorials.. Just find the correct offsets if you can.)
    The truck script CAN be removed (There are now tools that do this)
    PokeNav
    Many more extra features can't name atm..
    Secret Bases
    More Music (Even though you can extend the amount of music you can add in both Ruby and FireRed via hex editor)

Now FireRed's advantages against Ruby:

More tutorials for FireRed (as most people hack FireRed) (Many FR tuts are kind of the same as Ruby)
    4 world maps! HUGE ADVANTAGE (Especially if you want more than one region)
    No hassle of removing the truck script

They both have some songs from the GSC series.

In case you don't know, FireRed is same as LeafGreen, Ruby is same as Saphire (Advantages wise)

Emerald is just like R/S except it has more features (EX: Battle Tower, Animations for Pokemon in battle)
    HOWEVER: I heard that Emerald is very unstable. I don't know how unstable it is and to what extent.

Overall, I would say Ruby is the best to choose. Even though there is only one world map, you can PROBABLY fit 2 or 3 regions on one map.

OH and IMO I think you should learn how to do some stuff in FR/LG then go on to R/S/E, because of the fact that there are more tutorials. FR/LG are easier for beginners.

Lol, you made Ruby look like a good ROM to hack. (No sarcasm)

Back