• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of player were you when you started?

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    What type of player were you when you started playing pokemon? Did you really try to catch them all? Did you tank the whole game with your starter? Did you evenly train but were still under leveled? or Were you a pro from the start (be honest)?

I tanked with my Typhlosion and caught a lot in the beginning, didn't really know what I was doing back then :P.

Palkia_279

Palkia's master
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2008
    When I fisrt started playing, I was very young.

This is embarissing, but a LONG time ago, I thought the only place to catch Pokemon was the sufari zone.

As you could imagine, my Blastoise or Charizard were at least at level 80 by the time I reached the sufari zone.

Years
  • I caught loads of Pokemon. Almost every single one I could find. But i was so stupid that the only Pokemon I ever trained was my starter. I got him to level 70 and beat every single gym with only him. But no matter how hard I tried, i couldn't ever get through Victory Road. =( It wasn't the wild pokemon...they were easy to beat! But I just couldn't find the exit!

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Hahaha, I would catch everything but only use my starter (I started with Silver) I had a like, Lv. 80 Typhlosion, and a Lv. 40 Pidgeot, and that was all I used, of course, I tried to breed different typed of Pokemon, some of them worked, but I was confused of why when they breaded that they didn't mix the Pokemon up (Like Pidgey Mixed With Hoothoot) so I gave up.

I thought Lv. 50 was like, teh uber. And I thought that after the league it was just a big patch of grass, that had Lv. 50's in, to train in XD I was a n00b after all ;)

Dave-o-rama

If you are a false don't entry
    Years
  • i just did whatever i could to get farther. i just used my starter, but had other pokemon that i could have used. but i didnt use them.

Years
  • Hmm.. I can't really remember all that well... I was a complete newb at most things... But I vaguely remember being rather obsessive about keeping all my Pokemon on an equal level, or at least.. mostly... I think I also captured every Pokemon I saw (if I didn't own it yet). So, that combined with the equal leveling kept me busy for the first 3 gyms... After that I got bored and figured out another training programme xD

Last edited:

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • i didnt do the whole train only ur starter only thing but my starter was about 10 levels higher than everyone else. after the E4 i rtained only my starter to get to lv 100

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2008
    I was impressed with the depth and complexity of the game mechanics, but frustrated with how long it took to train Pokemon.

I'd always catch the Pokemon, and want to evolve them and learn new things about their types and moves, but I had little patience for the grind and quickly became frustrated and went back to training my starter to obscenely high levels.

Sekushi Sushi*

Roses are red, I love you!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    I always obsessed with rumors trying to get mewtwo and caught many missingnos that were above lvl 100

Years
  • I was obsessed with the Squirtle line when I started playing so he was always my strongest pokemon. I remember trying to catch everything and using all my favorites, so I know I had a full team.

Sekushi Sushi*

Roses are red, I love you!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    I meant trying to get mew, also pikablu and charchlizard! that one angered me.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • (Pokemon: Red) When I first started I only trained my starter (Charmander) and two other Pokemon. When it came to the Pokemon League, I just caught the three birds to fill up my team.

iShini

Go, Mah Giant Piplup!
    Years
  • Pretty much the same one that started a long time ago in the Red/Blue days. 8D

Choose starter- Catch a lot of Pokemon - Decide who I want in my main party - Focus on that team as I progress the game. 8D

The only change that I did between now and then was trying to catch a certain gender and/or nature of the Pokemon. XD Also restarting the game just to get a girl starter until I give up and settle with the boy. XDDD

Sajiri

Wandering Trainer
    Years
  • First time I played I just rushed through and tried to avoid trainers as much as possible because I was playing my cousin's game and only had it for a few hours.

Then when I bought it for myself I tried to lv evenly (although my favourite in the team would often be very over leveled XD). I tried to catch everything as soon as I saw it and would play with favourites and with what I thought was strongest. So I tended to stock up on legendaries

These days I only ever play with what Im going to beat the game with (unless I need a hm slave) and only ever take pokemon I like, never legendaries

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • I have no idea how I played back during Red- all I remember was the Rare Candy cheat.

However, I remember how I played on Pearl. I was an obsessive completist- I captured one of every Pokemon I found, and trained all of my Pokemon to be on equal footing. I was obsessed with completing the Pokedex too- unfortunately, I wasn't very lazy. I would always train a Pokemon until it evolved to get the Pokedex entry- even when the evolved form could be found in the wild, and wouldn't take much effort to catch. And I remember spending hours trying to catch a Feebas in the underground lake, only to come up empty handed. I trained all of my Pokemon to be on equal footing, even the ones I knew I would never use.

Also, when I first heard the concept of EV training, I was disgusted, and was sure I'd never do that. And look at me now.
    yelwacko.gif

Kaboom

Twilight Blaziken
    Years
  • I found something known as the "One Pokémon Challenge", where you're only allowed to use your starter - if it faints, you have to reload the save and try again! I did that and totally pwned the League with my lv65 Blaziken! It had Slash, Sky Uppercut, Flamethrower and EQ, and they didn't get a single hit in, except Drake who got me down to 1HP before I used a Hyper Potion!

Years
  • Me? In GSC,
    I trained all the Pokemon I caught,
    depositing them in the PC when they reach a too high level.
    As a result, I barely won over Chuck (gymleader in Cianwood)
    and was horribly underleveled when I fought Jasmine.
    Then I asked my friend, and he laughed at me! He said that I would only need to train 6 Pokemon,
    then I asked him what would I do with the rest, he said just leave them in the PC.
    Then I started training my Magby (hatch from Egg) and finally pwnd Jasmine~
    Huh...

Back