• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of player were you when you started?

GS the Bounty Hunter

Chomp Pwnz On Shoddy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2009
    I was started out playing Gold and soon after I got Red.

In Gold I trained my uber amazing Typlosion and had a level 50 sumtin' Raticate. Back then Raticate pwned to me in Gold. I also had a Noctowl that was in the 40's. The rest were fillers like Rattata and stuff. I also had a level 50 sumtin' Dunsparce at one point. I trained hard but had a hard time because Bruno kicked my Pokemon down the street each time. So I eventually restarted and did worse. :(

In Red I had a Charizard that was in its 70s and a Chansey that was Lv 80. Why I trained that Chansey so much I will never know. I had a Pidgeot too. I don't remember the level but it was at least in its 50s.That's all I remember anymore about Red.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    When I first started I only caught the cool looking Pokemon, only trained my starter, and only used moves that did a lot of damage, even if the Pokemon had a good move of the same type.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    What type of player were you when you started playing pokemon? Did you really try to catch them all? Did you tank the whole game with your starter? Did you evenly train but were still under leveled? or Were you a pro from the start (be honest)?

I tanked with my Typhlosion and caught a lot in the beginning, didn't really know what I was doing back then :P.

Well, Oprah, I got Blue back when I was six and I was only interested in finishing the game, so as soon as I got a trusted team consisting of Charizard, Raichu, Alakazam, Dewgong, Mew (from the glitch) and Hitmonlee, I destroyed everything in my path.

Years
    First game was yellow on a GBC. Finaly got it after ages of watching my friends playing Blue and Red and desperately wanting a go. Didn't really know of the playing style i used, i just caught pokemon, trained, had battles, traded etc. 1st gen was the time when LOADS of glitch and scams were going round the net, luckily i had a brain and most of the dangerous ones like missingno were on blue red right? So yeah, all my games have stayed intact to this date. Evan my second gen ones are playable, no time obviously. Never restarted a game either :P.

The only strategy i've ever used (and known of for that matter) is type advantages really. I knew the stats mattered, ie you could use (the expensive) proteins and stuff to boost stats and rare candied mons were rubbish. They were also rife in trading circles. Just to mention, so were shinies and legends (inc Mew and Celebe...that's the right spelling right? damned serebii.net :D) and i had all.

Only in the second gen did IV's and EV's and much much more strategey become available. I only found out about this after a while, yet i still don't use it, but i am planning to. 3rd gen was a shambles for me. I got stuck on one part and didn't play it for about a year before i got passed that bit. Missed out on all of the latter 3rd gen, which is a shame. Naturally i never traded at all, pokemon, especially in my age group was in rapid decline, my gameplaying had such a bad contrast to second gen. I do plan to get them but 3rd gen will feel well weird after 4th gen. I have played my Ruby since and it feels well weird, it's not just the worse graphics but the scale is all over the shop.

Anyways, sorry to give you a history of pokemon, but i couldn't help myself.

EDITx2: I also hardly used move strategies....or items. I've been sweeping all the way baby.
    Also spent a lot of time in second gen breeding, getting shinies, lvl hundreds. Only now am i getting back on track.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Apr 10, 2008
    First real experience was on Silver. Started with Typhlosion, caught Hoot Hoot, evolved to Noctowl, got Scyther, Gyarados and then Ampharos. Also had Quagsire and Onix as back-up. Those were the only decently leveled Pokemon. Typhlosion was about 10-15 levels above the rest; I think we all started that way XD.

I ran into Hoot Hoot one night and just caught it because I didn't see it beforehand. Scyther I randomly got from the National Park competition thing. Gyarados was obviously the shiny one. Mareep was easy early on; became Flaafy then Ampharos. I had a Wooper early on so I trained it a bit and it became Quagsire. Near the beginning I swapped a Bellsprout for that Onix they give you, yeah.

I caught some other stuff, but never used them.

I really liked Pokemon GSC. Maybe because Cyndaquil>Quilava>Typhlosion evolution line is simply too awesome. I also enjoyed picking up berries, headbutting trees, making cool Pokeballs, Ice Cave.. the memories are sure flying back now.

How I trained Pokemon was pretty much go to a strong place or Trainer, put the need-to-train first, switch him out immediately for a Pokemon that can fight etc. I think thats what we all do anyway. No particular style there.

I always named my player 'Silver'. Now I know his name is actually Gold apparently. Oh well. XD

~SunnyDay~

Grawr!
    Years
    Back when I first started, I was the trainer that focused mainly on my starter. The game eventually gave me lots of trouble towards the end, so I told myself i'd start training other pokemon. I had an obssesion with Pikachu back then, so I got my hands on a pikachu.. Trained it, but never evolved it.

So by the time the Elite Four came, I had a high level Charizard and a Pikachu. I was screwed.

I kinda gave up for a bit, then went back and caught all my favorite pokemon back then. I remember, by the time I was done, that my team consisted of Dragonite, Haunter, Charizard, Pikachu, Pidgeot, and Lapras.

And after all that work, my Dragonite ended up annihilating the elite four anyway.

So, now.. I'm the trainer who just battles with my favorite pokemon, whether the majority of people think they're good pokemon or not.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2008
    When I first started I remember that I trained my Bulbasaur like crazy but eventually completed the pokedex somehow. My biggest problem was finding my way out of the building in Cinnabar. I was lost in the basement!

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    When I first started (Pokemon Red) on my GameBoy Pocket, I was 5 and couldn't really read so well xD
    Because of this, I didn't know how to catch Pokemon. I used to get my grandmother to sit with me and read eveything on the screen I'd talk to =]

Anyways, when I finally did learn how to read/catch Pokemon, it all started coming together; I beat gyms, caught all the Pokemon etc. I just had trouble getting out of the Seafoam Islands after I fought Articuno. Now, in this present day, I consider myself a pretty good trainer. I have a rule: No more than 4 Pokemon in my initial team (but I mostly have 3 at a time) and I train them evenly 5 lvls at a time (always starting with my starter Pokemon).

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    Started with charmander and only trained him really, i always caught new high level wild pokemon when the gap between my starter and the rest of the team was getting bigger. But I guess I found out about the Mysterio-glitch for 100 rare candies quite soon

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lucky for me, I raised what I liked, but by what I liked, I mean in balance.

As in my fave fire type, my fave water type, and so-on.

:3 How awesome.

My sister, on the other hand, tanks with her starter. She's always like "omg i trained my shinx!" and I ask her how much, she's like 'one level!!!11177' and it's on ten. ._.;; Same age as her. She's really lameeee. She cried when I beat her level 60 Torterra with Vespiquen and Bronzong.

Berlitz

The Bewildered Summoner
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2013
    I catched onily my favourites,and won onily with them,onily liked FullOffensive attacks,and was quite a noob. :/

I was childish back there. Now I take it seriously. And I remeber how I'd use to think when I got Sapphire at first, that contests where the most boringandcomplicated thing they had EVER done. Nowdays,I like them. :/

Yours remindingself of self's selfish past,

Miss Berlitz.

(WANTED : Smeagle Silver Splatter ALIVE. REWARD to be discussed after capture.)

Years
    Diamond was my first pokemon game ever, but not my first rpg so I had a little bit of strategy. I picked Piplup as my starter and quickly picked up a shinx too. I made it through the first gym easily but I got my *** handed to me by the second gym leader (with all grass types). Her roserade just destroyed me. I ended up using my hm slave zubat to kill her after she wiped the rest of my team. After that I made more of an effort to catch and train pokemon of different types so I'd be ready for anything.

Also, I was fortunate to get a female starter on the first try so I bred it and traded the babies for chimchar and turtwig.

My biggest problem in the beginning was I thought you needed to have an empty slot in your party to catch new pokemon. I didn't know they would just shoot right off to the PC. After I discovered that, I started catching building up my collection.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    when i started i was like a 5 year old asain boy who didn't really understand pokemon or english that well for that matter, and i didn't know what to do to get sabrina to go back to her gym/or get in her gym(forget which one) so i had a lv. 87 charizard, lv. 79 muk, lv. 54 mr. mime, and some others i cant remember at that point in the game

DaiLinn

Furry for Lucario
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    I didn't really put a whole lot of thought into strategy before. Except that at the start I'd always make sure to train a Butterfree to beat the first gym. But that hardly counts. Now I'm completely different haha...

Espreon

Lord of the Nagas
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    I originally tanked everyone with my Blastoise, I could not figure out how to get to the Vermillion gym until my friend showed me how to, so I swamped Surge with a level 68 Blastoise...

Then I got into monochallenges, which proved fun in my Blue version.

Years
    i played silver first and i did the whole game with my togetic and my typhlosion all on like Lv 10 and what ever level i caught them on but togatic is a really good pokemon is a really good pokemon if you take time and train it well but know i train them all to a high average so now im good

Back