• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of player were you when you started?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I don't really remember what I did with my old Blue version when I got it, aside from picking a Charmander first. I believe that I failed at evenly raising my team, so my Charizard was stronger than my other Pokemon.

I do remember cheating my way to capturing all 151 Pokemon, and beating my older brother at a Pokemon battle with a Mew. He was ready to kill me after that.

And it took me at least nine years to figure out how to build a balanced Pokemon team. I had no idea what to do when it came to selecting Pokemon and their attacks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2009
    Well when I started playing Pokemon, I started playing on Red.
    I was only 7 at the time and the only pokemon I trained was my Blastoise.

Lucas

Dragon User
    Years
    haha omg, i was complete noob and my first game was Yellow. I didnt know what to do in the beginnign of game but i was reading Pokemon Specials manga, and that kinda helped me as a guidebook haha....plus i didnt know anything about catching pokemon and fought brock for like 3 hours with my pikachu...(haha pikachu could use electric attack in the manga, but not in game lol);p in the end i raised up my pikachu like to lvl 40 or something in the very beginning and later killed brock with lvl 10 buterfree xD

Kuri

Lord Mcfatty
    Years
    Like many, I tanked my Meganium in my game...So by the end of it it was like...lv 70 while the rest of my party was lv. 40. I also caught everything I saw that I didn't have. ahahah even evolutions of the pokemon. Hahaha...I was so crazy. XD

KageRyuu

The Shadow Dragon
    Years
    Strategic...from Blue -> Yellow -> Gold -> Crystal-> Ruby-> LeafGren-> Diamond stratedgy, use what pokemon around I could use to beat the gym leader, keep the strong discard the weak. Sad but true. lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2009
    i always caught my favorites and thought legendaries were the best. i though repels and full heal and pp restore items were useless and i avoided nearly every trainer. thats why my pokemon were so under leveled when i got to the e4^^;

now i do the complete opposite of what i used to do while still catching my favorites. legendaries are forbidden >:[ who wants a high leveled pokemon that you didnt train from the start? i use repel and full heal and make sure to keep my ethers and elixers to the end. and i train like crazy now as well as battle every trainer i see. i also find that non damaging moves are useful too^^

DragonairKing2000

Dragonair King
    Years
    In poke'mon red/blue I sort of knew what poke'mon to start with and poke'mon to catch and when I beat the game, I started to catch the numerous poke'mon they were.

In poke'mon yellow, I sort of didn't like it because all of the poke'mon locations were wack for me at the beginning, but on that one I caught alot of poke'mon.

In poke'mon gold/silver, I didn't like it sorta but I caught alot of poke'mon in it.

In poke'mon crystal, I sorta did the same on poke'mon gold/silver but i knew what poke'mon to start out with and what poke'mon to catch.

In poke'mon ruby/sapphire, I knew what poke'mon to start with and poke'mon to catch to beat the elite four.

In poke'mon emerald, I sorta did the same thing to poke'mon ruby/sapphire because I knew the poke'mon well and their attacks.

In poke'mon diamond/pearl, I haven't played it yet because I don't have a nintendo ds and poke'mon diamond/pearl.

Years
    • H
    • Seen Mar 22, 2010
    I think I mostly tried to avoid the trainers
    & I started with a squirtle (my first game was Blue) so all the rock pokémon at the start were pretty easy to beat.
    Then I found a clefairy and thought it was the most adorable thing in the universe so I caught it and trained it to level 100. x)

MetalMEB

O_______O
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 18, 2012
    To be honest...when I FIRST got my Gold version, I had NO idea what I was doing xD

I didn't know how to catch Pokemon, (even though there's the guy that shows you how to catch them, I never followed, I guess I wasn't paying attention. =P) LoL, I thought that just by defeating the Pokemon, that I automatically caught the thing >_>

I had a Feraligatr, that had all HM moves on it, and a Togetic. Feraligatr was like, at level 80 or something, and Togetic 28, xD

Its a little embarassing... But I was like 7 or something, so I didn't know what I was doing :P

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
    The first ever pokemon game I played was blue v. I think... when I was about 7-8 yrs old. It belonged to my Babysitter's son and I remember seeing cute little creatures bobbing up and down on the screen (in the pokemon start menu) and the first pokemon I saw was Nidoking, I thought it was really cool so I asked my Dad if he could buy me one, and when I turned 9 I remember getting the gameboy color green & gold edition, with the pokemon gold v. game. That's how it all started. =D

I started with Cyndaquil and slowly worked my way up to catching pokemon and beating the gym leaders, to tell you the the truth, I thought the whole objection of the game was to beat everyone, I named my Typhlosion Explosion, which is stupid I know, then I changed it later on. I became better as I progressed though, I traded a lot with my best friend and got stronger, I wasn't bad but I wasn't good either. I could definately say that If I battled myself from the past, the future me would win. ^^

XaRhS

well, i was surely an amateur and my first pokemon game was crystal version.i didn't know about the ''super effective moves'' the immunities and the non-effective.i started playing and i learned i lot and i keep learning......from the latest vesions>D/P

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Well, when I started with Yellow I remember I tried to imitate Ash until after I beat the E4. When I got my Red version I actually made my own unique team that was balanced ok, but looking back was rather noobish. I didn't really become a good trainer until G/S when I really got into the games. Crystal became a defining moment, when I finally figured out how to EV train develop a balance team but still compose of my favorites and that team is the same for each generation since. But looking back... man was I a noob, but we all need to start somewhere right?

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I always wanted to catch 'em all when i was young. I liked their catchphrase, "you gotta catch 'em all!" So i did just that :)

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    ahahah this remidns me when i first got pokemon red when I was like 5..I didn't understand it all.. All I did was wander aroudn and talk to people I didn't understand the game till I was like 7! I know pretty pathetic ahaha xD! but after I found out how to use the game I began using my started alot and when I went to the pokemon league I would use my started in all of the battle. Ahahaha even in the league! In emerald I remeber catching rayquaza before hte pokemon league and using that Ahaha just thinking about it makes me laugh!

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
    I did actually train all of my pokemon, but I often wouldn't catch many. My movesets were pathetic at best, having two or three attacking moves of the same type on one pokemon, et cetera. In a sense, I liked the games more when I knew nearly nothing and the whole thing was one blind adventure.

minibus135

Pokefanatic
    Years
    I first started playing about 9 years ago... That was when I was in grade 2 or something and I started on the Red Version. I played on the first Gameboy ever made. The gray coloured thick one which the screen was barely visible. I started playing young and chose Charmander because it was my favourite pokemon. I would only walk around in the grass and find pokemon like pidgy or caterpie and fight them for about 2 hours. I thought that was all you can do.. haha~ Then when my Charmander became like level 25 only from fighting only lv.3 pokemon, i would get tired of it and start walking around and reach the first city. Defeating Brock was soooo easy~~ I spend too much time in the grass..

Ionic

God of nothing
    Years
    Hehe i remember playing Pokemon red back many years ago :p.

I finally beat the elite four during lunch break, little did i know how long the credits took and i hid the gameboy under my shirt while waiting for them to finish in class.

I mainly just wanted to catch all of them never really bothered about fighting all the trainers.

Years
    when i first started i just Ko'd 'em all lol :) and then my sis gave me these wise words- " your supposed to catch them " and i was on the pokemon league or something. I also remember in yellow when the KO thing was over i would try to release as much pokemon as i could :)

Back