• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What types are in your optimal team?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • We all build our teams differently. What are some types of Pokemon that you always have in your team? Also, what are some of the move types you make sure to have, as well?

With my team, I always make sure to have one Pokemon, no more and no less, of each of the following types:

Fire
    Water
    Grass
    Electric
    Flying

I also try to have as many dual-types as possible, and never repeat a type in my team. For my 6th slot, I include one more Pokemon whose type(s) are not already covered by the other 5. As far as moves go, I try to have as many different types of offensive moves as possible, and make sure every Pokemon gets STAB from at least one move.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I always have Flying. Some types may differ as I always keep my starter, and use the mascot legend.

I try to branch out their movesets, covering weaknesses. An example would be an Earthquake using Ho-Oh I have on HG. My Articuno also uses Water Pulse and Rain Dance, crushing fire types, but I still want to get at least one STAB.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Fire is a must have. If I can't have that, something that can at least learn Flamethrower will suffice.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Water
    Flying
    Psychic [ever since I started liking it]

Anyway, Water covers Surf, Flying covers Fly and Psychic is just plain awesome.

Years
  • My team is structured like this...

I always have a Pokemon of these types.

Grass
    Fire
    Water
    Flying
    Electric
    plus a filler Pokemon dependent on looks.

Most of the time, I didn't actually have a Fire-type but a Skuntank knowing Flamethrower.

In Platinum, I didn't use an Electric type but I have an Ambipom knowing Shock Wave.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I always have Water, Flying and Dragon in my team. I haven't excluded those types since I started playing the games.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Always Water. Often I end up with two, particularly in Hoenn and Unova.

Fire is another, because most of them are cool, same goes for Electric.

I like to have Dragons, but don't always (I've still never owned a Garchomp or Haxorus other than 'dex competion GTS trades), same with Dark, and often Grass.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
  • I always have a Fire, Water, Ground and Flying type Pokemon. I prefer dual type of these Pokemon as it means they're more versatile and your open to more moves that will get a STAB.

The other types I use but that aren't a must have would be Grass, Electric, Ice and Normal.

Fire.
    Water.
    Ground.
    Flying.
    ???
    ???

The other two types would be picked based on if I find a Pokemon I really like within that type.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • Most of the time, I'll have an Electric-type Pokemon in my team, but not even that is always the same. I like versatility, so here's normally how I base my team:

Step 1: Find a Pokemon I think would be a good center of my team.
    Step 2: Find a Pokemon to cover above Pokemon's weaknesses.
    Step 3: Find a Pokemon to cover above Pokemon's weaknesses.

Etcetera. Normally, if I have a Pokemon that has no weakness, I will find a Pokemon that works well with it (e.g. a Steel-type and Spiritomb; Close Combat is super effective against Steel-types, but is ineffective against Spiritomb, allowing Spiritomb to get a free hit in) and cover the weaknesses of that Pokemon.

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    I look for the strongest pokemon, but I almost always have at least 2 out of 3 of the following: Fighting, Ghost, Psychic, Dark.

So, of course, I have a Scrafty.

I also try to vary my types, optimally having no pokemon share a type, but sometimes that's impossible. I just have to have Tyranitar and Scrafty.

But in my optimal team?

Dark
    Fighting
    Rock
    Fire
    Grass/Water
    Electric

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Water is a type that's always on my team, as I tend to pick the Water starters the most. Most of the times they are the only pokemon able to learn Surf and Waterfall.

Ground, Fighting, Grass, Normal and Flying are also types I tend to pick often. Also, I have a habit of picking pokemon who are able to learn either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot.

I don't mind having to pokemon of the same type, but I do try to vary as much as I can.

My perfect team would probably look like this:

-Water
    -Fighting
    -Grass
    -Normal/Flying
    -Normal
    -Depending on the second types of the other pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Water, Ground, and Electric are the must-haves, and the Water-type must have Ice Beam. I usually like to have a Fire-type move, though not always a Fire-type Pokemon. I seem to always have a Normal-type (at least till 5th gen) because the resident cat Pokemon in each of the games before B/W was a Normal-type.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    When it comes to competitive the only type I NEED to have is a Water type.

As far as story mode goes I always seem to have a Water and Rock till very late in the game. Grass, Ground, and Flying seem to find their ways into my team as well.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    can we all agree that the Bug type sucks? and to a lesser extent poison and ice?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I usually have at least a Water and a Flying, and almost never a Poison, Steel, or Bug. I try to get a Grass type as well, and then one random one to round out my condensed team for non-B/W games where experience is a rare commodity.

Back