• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What was your starter pokemon?

Years
    Hey people, i was just wondering. What was everyones starter pokemon in LeafGreen/FireRed? Mine was Charmander! But what was yours? I suppose that this can also tie in with what is your fav. starter so ye. :D

Selkie_warrior

Check out my avatar shop!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    same wen u say fav started does that mean mudkip,torchic,treecko as well? cos if so mines mudkip by far

Selkie_warrior

Check out my avatar shop!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2007
    meh i used to like bulbasaur then mudkip came*has a flashback wen first saw big bro playing sapphire*

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Then this would be in the wrong place. Keep it to FRLG, or have it moved.

I started with Charmander, partly to give me a challenge for the first two gyms (Rock and Water), as it is more manly. The other part was that I could pick up a Pikachu early, and there are many Water Pokémon around, but Fire Pokémon are not found until later in the game.

'Arcanine'

Personality of an Arcanine!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 6, 2006
    Mine was the cute fire lizard, Charmander. Charizard is one of my favourite Pokemon & fire one of my favourite elements. I think Squirtle is the best choice, then Charmander but Bulbasaur doesn't learn very good attacks but evolves quicker.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    My first starter in Firered was Charmander. Even though it's my least favourite of the three, it often happens to become my starter. Sure Charizard isn't great, but most other Fire Pokémon are worse =/

My favourite starter, however, is Squirtle. Even though I absolutely adore Bulbasaur and its evolutions, I like the Squirtle line even more *huggles them ^_^*
    Mine was the cute fire lizard, Charmander. Charizard is one of my favourite Pokemon & fire one of my favourite elements. I think Squirtle is the best choice, then Charmander but Bulbasaur doesn't learn very good attacks but evolves quicker.
    Since when have Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Stunspore and Razor leaf (well, razor leaf isn't all that great, but the only better offensive grass move is Leaf Blade, which only Sceptile and Grovyle can learn) been bad moves? -_- It's just a matter of wether you can use the Pokémon right (which you obviously can't) or wether you think all Pokémon work with the same strategy >D

Ati

Staff User
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 1, 2009
    oh well

my first game was pokemon silver some years ago and i started with Totodile:)

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    in FireRed/LeafGree (Red/Blue)

my starter was always charmander just 'cuz I like Charizad 'cuz it's dragon
    looking.

in GSC i'd start with Chikorita 'cuz it's my favorite grass type pokemon.

and in RSE I always start with Treecko just 'cuz yeah,
    I never actually raise it though 'til after I've beaten the E4
    I usually prefer to raise other pokemon.
    Dustox in particular.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    At first, I chose Charmander, as I was extremely fond of Charizard. Soon after I found Bulbasaur more fitting to the game I had (Leaf Green), so I started anew. I rarely use Squirtle, for reasons unknown, although Blastoise is admirable enough. ._.

~Alakazam~

Psychic Eye
    Years
    I chose Charmander first as I love Charizard. I then tried out Bulbasaur and found that he always lost to Gary and was very weak through most of the game (thus my foray to make my overwhelmingly highest level pokemon different than my starter). Squirtle was about as good as Charmander, but I had a liking of Charizard. Besides, my custom Charizard could beat a Blastoise of its level any day.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    In Fire Red, I started with Squirtle, mainly because it's what I did when I first got my copy of Red. Ergo, I relived past memories by playing through the game with a Squirtle by my side, just as I had so many years ago.

Time flies, man. Time flies.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    uuuum...
    FireRed: Charmander
    LeafGreen: Squirtle

Charmander has always been my favorite Kanto starter, so for most of the games I chose it, but for LeafGreen I felt like choosing a different one, since I already had Charmander on FireRed...

Back