• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was your team?

Years
In my first ever game, Yellow, I had:

Pikachu, Alakazam, Pidgeot, Vaporeon, and two others I think I could never remember. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge Pikachu fan, partially because I always wanted to evolve it but it didn't want to haha. Alakazam carried me through that game though, and I've loved it ever since.

My most memorable playthrough of Crystal had a great team of:

Feraligatr, Umbreon, Arcanine, Crobat, Donphan, and Pidgeot.

I also solo'd the game countless amount of times as a kid with just Feraligatr lol

Years
My planned Gold Team:
Feraligatr
Typholosion
Meganium
Sudowoodo
Girafarig
Ampharos
My Yellow Team
Snorlax
Pikachu
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
(Insert a Pokémon Here)

In my first ever game, Yellow, I had:

Pikachu, Alakazam, Pidgeot, Vaporeon, and two others I think I could never remember. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge Pikachu fan, partially because I always wanted to evolve it but it didn't want to haha. Alakazam carried me through that game though, and I've loved it ever since.

My most memorable playthrough of Crystal had a great team of:

Feraligatr, Umbreon, Arcanine, Crobat, Donphan, and Pidgeot.

I also solo'd the game countless amount of times as a kid with just Feraligatr lol
I used to do that on HeartGold! I beat the game with just a overleveled Feraligatr, I really didn't see the point of getting anymore and I didn't even look at it's stats!
Then I played Final Fantasy. Since then, I remember stats.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
It's been forever but I probably used something like

Raichu, Blastoise, Kadabra, Mewtwo, Articuno, Pidgeot

What a terrible team.

ben cousins

Backspacer
Years
For Crystal during the early 2000s i'm pretty sure me and my older brother had:
Tyranitar
Lugia
Suicune
Skarmory
Can't remember the other two but i recall not using the starter.

My current, less authentic VBA Crystal team consists of:
Jolteon
Golem
Delibird
Nidoking
Persian
Scizor

For Yellow and Blue i can't really remember having one consistent party since i kept restarting.

Years
  • Seen today
Red: Blastoise, Pidgeot, Haunter, Marowak, Flareon, Zapdos

Spr_1g_009.png
Spr_1g_018.png
Spr_1b_093.png
Spr_1b_105.png
Spr_1b_136.png
Spr_1b_145.png

Now, that's not the very first team I picked, but it was the one I got to the Elite Four for the first time.

As for Generation II...

Silver: Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ledian, Umbreon, Murkrow, Lugia

Spr_2g_160.png
Spr_2g_164.png
Spr_2g_166.png
Spr_2s_197.png
Spr_2s_198.png
Spr_2s_249.png

Last edited:

ugtgrime

Lomax
Years
Pokemon red :
Venusaur
Butterfree
Onix
Magmar
Vaporeon
Magneton

Pokemon Crystal:

Typhlosion
Espeon
Miltank
Gyrados
Tyranitar
Raikou

That team worked wonders back in the day.

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2016
Gen I

Charizard
Fly
Slash
Flamethrower
Earthquake
Mewtwo
Psychic
Icebeam
Thunder
Recover
Lapras

Ice Beam
Surf
Body Slam
Strength
Raichu
Thunder
Thundershock
Thunderbolt
Megakick (yeah it was a crap move set, I was like 10).
Kabutops
Hydropump
Slash
Other moves
Golem
Rock Slide (Maybe throw)
Earthquake
Fissure
Other move.

Gen II
Typhlosion
Raichu
Togekiss (Until Red Gyrados)
Lugia
Charizard
Tyranitar

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Complex Crystal:
Meganium
Ampharos
Arcanine
Poliwrath

Randomized Crystal I toyed with today:
Charizard
Omanyte
Onix

Aleister

Will-o'-the-wisp
Years
I don't remember my first team form Gold/Crystal, because it was long time ago but now my team looks like this:
Crobat (Dracul), Alakazam (Psi), Arcanine (Kamijou) , Golem (The Rock), Jynx (Chum), Gyarados (Soon...) which is HM slave.

Years
When Pokemon Red/Blue released, I was a 5th grader with absolutely no idea of what the game's concept/purpose was. This was before the age of the internet, so referring to the web for information was not an option. The primary way of learning something was to experience it firsthand.

So! For my first playthrough, I beat the game with just my Venusaur. I didn't capture a single pokemon. When I defeated the champion, I did so with a single, level 90-something pokemon. I spammed Razor Leaf and came out on top. haha

After dozens upon dozens of replays, I eventually learned how to play the game...er...better. My first complete team on Pokemon Red was:

Venusaur
Pidgeot
Kadabra (didn't have a trade cable to evolve it--didn't even know it COULD evolve)
Dugtrio
Clefable
Snorlax

I'll play the old man card. A lot of you youngsters will never know the struggles (and joys) of experiencing Pokemon in its absolute infancy without sources to explain its features. xD

Years
Playing Red for the FIRST TIME at nineteen, my team is:
Dragonaire, level 43, nicknamed Muuki
Gyarados, level 48 (I'm training them hush I'll have them all the same level eventually!), nicknamed Poseidon
Fearow, level 47, nicknamed Speangu (it's stupid I know. But so is Muuki)
Venusaur, level 43, nicknamed Noot-Noot! (I was joking with a friend when I named it)
... I think that's it? I'm not sure if my Machoke and Vileplume are an actual part of my team, but they're in my party.

My team for Crystal changes, but my staples are:
Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr, sometimes nicknamed, sometimes not
Geodude/Graveler, always nicknamed Olfaithful, as it is my star member. I started using it as a test after watching Chuggaaconroy play Crystal and hearing him say Geodude is lackluster. Olfaithful had always bolstered me through games, and taught me to not rely on just one Pokemon after an unfortunate attempt against Chuck.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 19, 2016
I played a Pokemon game, when i was around 10 i believe... friend got himself an emulator and a copy of Pokemon Red...
Good ol' days :D Playing Pokemon all night at friends place... Freaking out when we got stuck... barely having any idea what the NPCs tell us... and trying to decipher them using the english dictionary haha

Our team probably looked like this :
-Charizard
-Pidgeot
-Nidoking
-Gyarados
-Kadabra
-no idea... probably some random mon

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
After my brother was kind enough to buy a Crystal version off his friend for me before HGSS came out, my final team ended up looking like this:

TYPHLOSION / BUTTERFREE / WIGGLYTUFF / POLIWHIRL / WEEPINBELL

... I can't recall a sixth Pokemon, so I'm unsure if one existed; especially since I just went to check my save file to find it victim to that horrific drained battery erasure thing all the old cartridges do after a while. I usually don't carry full teams through my playthroughs but my apologies to that Pokemon if it did exist; I'm sure you fought valiantly and I'm sorry you died with nary an accreditation.

But anywho, these guys I certainly do remember. My naming theme this time around was ... well, actual people names, so in order they were Abraham, Sapphire, Jennifer, Wilbur, and Vincent. Jennifer, the Wigglytuff, was under-leveled but she remained a staple of my team due to her being the generous gift of the day-care couple and hatching into a shiny Igglybuff that knew Dizzy Punch. That egg was certainly a highly missed feature when HGSS came out because of this girl. Also I vaguely remember an over-leveled Weedle named Nancy and a Venonat named Oliver that scored the namesake of another equally irrelevant Venonat in my SoulSilver, so a shout-out to them!

I always had intended to evolve Wilbur and Vincent into a Poliwrath and Victreebel, but the only way to get yourself either of those stones was the mope about and wait for Fisherman Tully and Picnicker Gina to find one for you. And they never did, those bastards.​

Last edited:

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Red: (Admittedly this is kinda cheating, but I'm planning on replaying it again with zero legendaries)
- Venusaur
- Gyarados
- Mew (via the infamous glitch)
- Zapdos
- Articuno
- Moltres

Gold:
- Meganium
- Gyarados
- Ho-oh
- Espeon
- Machoke (via the in-game trade in Goldenrod City Mart)
- Ampharos

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 10, 2015
I remember my Blue team vividly:

Venasaur
Gyarados
Venomoth
Muk
Machoke
Marowak

Essentially, just starter, the magikarp outside Mt. Moon, and four pokemon from Victory Road. All around level 40. Hard as hell to beat the Elite 4 the first time.

In crystal:

Typhlosion
Suicune
Umbreon-Favorite
Lugia
Ho-oh
Raiku

Overpowered, but a blast to play with.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
My RBY team appears in my signature...
Mew
Dugtrio
Slowbro
Snorlax
Lapras
Moltres

honorable mention: Venomoth
A predominantly slow team, but it provides complete type coverage that's more than adequate (at least in Gen 1). Some would question Mew's legality, but she could always be replaced by Alakazam if necessary. Venomoth can also be very dangerous if you know how to use it, so I have to mention him too.

The amount of time I've spent playing Gen 2 is nowhere near the 16 or so years I've been playing RBY, but I have been getting into it a lot more recently. The Pokémon I've found to be really useful in GSC are
Feraligatr
Snorlax
Scizor
I find myself striving to include at least 2 of them in every game I play.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 31, 2019
My Pokemon Blue team was OP.

Mew (from the Mew Glitch)
Surfing Pikachu (Got it exclusively from Pokemon Stadium 1)
Charizard (starter)
Blastoise (Again from Pokemon Stadium 1)
Venusaur (Again from Pokemon Stadium 1)
Gengar (trading)

Really fun team to play. I played through the whole game with that team and it was such a blast. I kinda want to get all the baby versions of those Pokemon again (Mew, Pikachu, Gastly, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle) and play through my Pokemon Crystal with that team.

Btw if anyone wants to ask who I got those Pokemon from my Pokemon Stadium on the nintendo 64, feel free to ask lol.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Complex Crystal:
Meganium
Ampharos
Arcanine
Poliwrath

Randomized Crystal I toyed with today:
Charizard
Omanyte
Onix

Have you ever tried randomizing Complex Crystal? I have a few times now and it's seriously friggin awesome. I find that randomizing the main series games left me with really overpowered Pokémon really early on. It occurred to me one day to see if Complex Crystal would work with Universal Pokémon Randomizer, since Complex Crystal has just about the right level/difficulty curve to compensate for randomization. It worked 100% and I've never had a more enjoyable Gen 2 experience. I recommend it!!!{:3}

Back